New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    May thread ba dito pwede mabasa tungkol sa rust proofing and undercoating? more than a year na tsikot ko, ni hindi pa na underwash. Looking to have it undercoated or rustproofed.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Undercoating is not necessary, it's one of those money making schemes of dealers. Better to spend money on something else.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    We have a 2002 Toyota Revo. Never pina-undercoat or rustproof. Solid pa rin ang ilalim.

Sent from my D5833 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salanguit View Post
    May thread ba dito pwede mabasa tungkol sa rust proofing and undercoating? more than a year na tsikot ko, ni hindi pa na underwash. Looking to have it undercoated or rustproofed.
    most modern cars are already rust-proofed. it is part of the factory painting process. and no aftermarket "rustproofing" can match its effectiveness.
    some writers say undercoating (with that black, tar-like stuff) might be useful if you do a lot of off-road driving, where underchassis rocks and stuff is a real problem.
    my 2005 car is still rust-free, even as i did not add any aftermarket rust protection.
    besides, undercoat is not light. it's like having an extra ('though small-ish) passenger at all times...
    Last edited by dr. d; June 4th, 2016 at 08:37 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Ganon po ba yun? I have the mindset na baka kase depende sa sasakyan, mas mahal sasakyan, mas maganda pang ilalim or rustproofed til it's end. yung unit ko kase mirage lang, may mga takbo sya na minsan, sumabit yung ilalim, baka kase nascrape yung paint or coating. So Im looking to have it reinforced.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salanguit View Post
    Ganon po ba yun? I have the mindset na baka kase depende sa sasakyan, mas mahal sasakyan, mas maganda pang ilalim or rustproofed til it's end. yung unit ko kase mirage lang, may mga takbo sya na minsan, sumabit yung ilalim, baka kase nascrape yung paint or coating. So Im looking to have it reinforced.
    if your underchassis gets scraped on a regular basis, then undercoating may help you avoid rust.
    but, in my opinion, changing your driving habits may be more effective than undercoating, in avoiding rust.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if your underchassis gets scraped on a regular basis, then undercoating may help you avoid rust.
    but, in my opinion, changing your driving habits may be more effective than undercoating, in avoiding rust.
    Salamat. Minsan lang nman sumadsad yung ilalim. mga 2 beses lang nmn. Siguro dalhin ko muna sa gas station at pa underwash ko muna. Silipin ko muna kung okay pa.

Follow up question: Roughly when is a car, needs another layer of undercoating or to be rustproofed? Kung marami nman nagsasabi na maganda yung factory default ng sasakyan, gang kelan ba durability nun?

Salamat

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Cars today are manufactured with galvanized steel, with a coating of zinc that prevents oxidation and therefore prevents rust. This zinc coating will stay on your car as long as the chassis is intact. So unless you have a terrible accident (in which rust will be the least of your concern), the factory rustproofing is enough to last your car's lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    If you are concerned about corrosion from the scraped under chassis the better option is to coat the area with paraffin. It protects the ferrous surfaces by sealing oxygen off. I personally tested this on steel handsaw blades and left it out in the rain and no visible rusting or staining was evident

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    If you are concerned about corrosion from the scraped under chassis the better option is to coat the area with paraffin. It protects the ferrous surfaces by sealing oxygen off. I personally tested this on steel handsaw blades and left it out in the rain and no visible rusting or staining was evident
    :-)) sound like rocket science to em Sir. I assume when you say "ferrous surface", you meant iron or the metal itself? What's paraffin? Nabibili ba to in canister cans?

feeling ko eto yung part na kumayod sa humps eh, tunog bakal kase nung sumabet. Paint ba itong coating nya or special something?

screenshot2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
undercoat/rustproofing prices and where to?