New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    hello guys!

im very new here and about to end my college years. i know little about cars although i have friends that are into it. hiya ko lang mag ask and ask.

my family recently bought a toyota altis 1.6e. although it is a reliable car, i would want it a little faster sana. the hp rating is somewhere around 116.

what is the cheapest way to increase its horsepower?
    what is the safest way to increase its horsepower without going to the extreme, say, replacing the whole engine? (sowi po, wa me alam).
    ;)

thank you so much.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    IHE

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    imho, it's a brand new car...don't mess with the warranty B).

don't resort to extreme mods -- esp. if it's the *only* family car B).

pero to answer your question...changing to aftermarket air filters would be an option...pero ewan ko lang kung magiging noticeable ung added hp

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Simple modifications on your cylinder head will do wonders. Though not noticeable aesthetically, but performace wise, you'd edge the same engine.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yep...even the combination of the intake, headers and the exhaust upgrade can only give you an average of 10 hp increase on most cars....what more if its the intake only.

changing to fully synthetic oil is another option :D

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    116 hp is already a powerful lot, and I doubt a newbie could efficiently, if not safely, handle all that power (no offense). That car could effortlessly leave all but the fastest of traffic in the dust, even with the a/c on. What do you intend to do with the car, if I may ask?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    thanks guys for the replies. they are eye openers for me.

i actually just want to increase the hp to approximately 10 hp to bring the rating to around 126. my girl friends drive civics and galants (mostly modified by their kuyas) which i know have higher hps. I just wanna bring it closer lang sana. I also dont have a kuya. it was gift from dad and i dont wanna "ruin" it yet. :worried:

how much would a cylinder head modification cost? what would they do actually? further, whats a fully synthetic oil? whats the difference between that and the factory ordinary engine oil we use with toyota?

sowi po uli if im dumb with these.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by anne kelly
    ...how much would a cylinder head modification cost? what would they do actually?...
    It all depends on what the mods are, some may fetch to a couple of thousand pesoses to hundred thousands.

Some of the mods that I could remember as of now are: stress relieving, multi angled valves and seats, magnetic tipped, new cam design, adjustable cam gears and so on...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since you are a newbie when it comes to cars, do it a step at a time. btw, don't go messing your car around too much as it may void the factory warranty.

you could try to fit in a free flow muffler to you car. does tom's carry a bolt on application for the altis? noise will definitely increase but that's the downside of HP increase.

next is a drop-in air filter from K&N. am still also not sure if there is already an application available for the altis here.

next are headers. you can opt for custom built ones from the various shops around manila like fremuff, smt, etc. again, noise will definitely increase.

those simple modifications will not even cost you 20K.

if you want to take it a bit further, go for a cylinder head port & polish at autoplus. their stage1 application will cost you 10K.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    thanks ungas (?, peculiar name) and mazdamazda.

the 10-20K, yes, but the hundreds of K, I cant afford it. dad will kill me.

my idea is to increase the hp "underneath" without being noticed externally (i.e. exterior mods, added noise). this being so, can i prioritize the drop-in air filter from K&N first before the free flow muffler and the headers? if yes, how much would it usually cost?

if not, is the addition of the free flow muffler really that noisy? i dont wanna sound like ex-bfs pathetic noise display broom broom broom (as if thats appealing to a 1.6L car or less). i hope you know what i mean.

ebbfolls was right. the altis is a powerful lot na. i just bought the latest C! magazine. the 2002 model is still one of the top dogs compared to other 1.6L cars. what more the 2004 model.

thanks really guys for sharing your expertise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
toyota altis 2004