New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sir DJ and Sir Yebo,

Don't stop discussing. I will post many questions for you through a new thread. I hope you will not take things personally between each other and spoil us the oppurtunity to learn from you and what you have to say. I am just a humble graduate of Diesel Mechanics and Automotive Mechanics.

You guys have two varying experiences. Military and Gas/Oil all exposed to harshes conditions and equipped with only the best training, equipment, machines and people. In your field any failure means lives and millions of $ lost.

Regards
    Juan Ramon Landas a.k.a 4JG2-TC(4jgtootsie)

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I take my hats off for d_j, yebo, otep and the rest of the guys here. Thank you very much for your sincerity to help. Your inputs really raises the bar of education we all can get from this forum. very well appreciated except those whose inputs made some "patutsada" that left some bad taste. vert enlightening and much appreciated. I'll just keep my options to myself.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I take my hats off for d_j, yebo, otep and the rest of the guys here. Thank you very much for your sincerity to help. Your inputs really raises the bar of education we all can get from this forum. very well appreciated except those whose inputs made some "patutsada" that left some bad taste. very enlightening and much appreciated. I'll just keep my options to myself so I can at least help douse off the heat.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Ikaw ang magaling Galynxmo!

Napalabas ang mga nasa palaispan ng mga taong ito! Goodluck bro kung ano man ang maging desisyon mo.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sir DJ,

Gusto ko sana mag test ng L2 can you give some insights.

Gapang ako sa composite vehicle reference booklet and daming data.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sir DJ,

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    makisawsaw na nga po...

1st, i am (also) a mechanic with a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering as my "tech school". i've been working on engines for 20 plus years.

D_J forgot one thing. D_J's opinion is only correct IF AND ONLY IF a thermostat only closes or opens the flow of cooling water to the radiator, or in short it is acting only as a 2-way valve. IT DOES NOT. an engine thermostat is a 3-WAY valve AND it REGULATES the flow of cooling water. a thermostat manifold has 3 ports - one from the pump, one going back to the engine block (by-passing the radiator) and another going to the radiator. a thermostat has 3 positions - fully closed, midway opening and fully open positions. the temperature value stamped on the thermostat is the fully open set point, the opening set point is normally 5-10 degrees lower (depending on type of thermostat material in the bulb). so if the set point is, for example, 175 deg F, then it actually starts to open at between 165-170 deg F. when the coolant temperature is between these 2 temperatures the thermostat is either partially open or partially closed. up to this point D_J is still correct. BUT when the temperature EXCEEDS the set point stamped on the thermostat body (in this example, 175 deg F), this is when D_J's advice no longer hold true. why? because at this point the thermostat is fully open to the radiator port and fully close to the engine port. remember that there are 3 ports, not just 2. if the thermostat were removed then the flow of coolant will always be 50% to the radiator port and 50% to the engine port. the flow is halved. with a thermostat the flow is 0% back to engine and 100% to raditator for cooling when it is at fully open position.

so what is the effect of removing a thermostat? since an engine without a thermostat will ALWAYS have 50% coolant flowing back to the engine (without passing through the radiator) then you effectively DECREASE the cooling capacity of your cooling system. it may not be too apparent for an engine driven at low loads, but try hauling a trailer (or even just loading the trunk and with 5 passengers on board) without thermostats and you will surely find out why the engine needs a thermostat.

sorry chief D_J, but this chief does not agree with you.

To give the other guys a better understanding, eto po yung naka-highlight sa post ni sir yebo.... (Toyota 4A thermostat assembly)..

1. one from the water pump
    2. one going back to the engine block (water pump suction line)
    3. another going to the radiator OR coming from the radiator (some engines kasi before radiator ang thermostat galing engine block, some naman after ng radiator ang thermostat) .
    4. Don't mind this. It is from airconditioning heater (di ko sya kinabit kasi walang ganun yung evaporator ko) - the other end is connected sa engine block, near water temp sensors (blocked).

I hope this somehow helps pa...

***Feel free to bash me of my post if i've got anything wrong....

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Good morning sa lahat lahat

dyan ako bilid sa mga master tsikoters.......dami mo matututunan.........

ito lang share ko baka makatulong.........

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    No bashing!

The pictures i think is an example of an open/closed thermostat. The simpler type. Sir Yebo's more complex type involves two thermostat located on the same housing.

I took a picture from a book pero sobrang pangit

It is on a Cummins N14 and Series 60DDC.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 14th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Sir DJ,

if you have an advanced diesel experience then you should be golden. all it is (L2) is electronic/fuel/air induction/exhaust diagnostics (diesel)
    a good understanding on how to read schematics would be really helpful. try understand how each respective system works and their basic concept rather than memorizing. if you have any specific questions, hit me up at driftoholic1*gmail.com or start a new thread, I'll be more than willing to help out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thermostat removed...help!