New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ....that removing your t-stat would make that much of a difference given that you are in a warm climate area...
    this is one of those urban legends that the myth busters have to test

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    this is one of those urban legends that the myth busters have to test
    We could have missed it....

Pero kung hindi pa,- calling on Adam and Jamie!!!

2901:pokemon:

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I don't think that removing your t-stat would make that much of a difference given that you are in a warm climate area.
    I'm currently taking up basic car maintenance in Meralco foundation. Our instructor recommends keeping the thermostat. The reasons were the same as those previously mentioned by Sirs OTEP and Asus.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT: If only I had the time, I'd be your classmate at Meralco sir userfriendly. Kaso hindi ko talaga ma-fit sa schedule.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I suggest replace by new one mura lang naman yan at napakahalaga sa auto natin yan baka nag malfunction or makitid na clearance nya pag nag-open not like the retracktion of new one, range of opening from 20 to 25mm new thermostat

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...G_0331copy.jpg

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Unfortunately, it does. I've driven units with deleted thermostats and the gauges don't even register 1/4. The engines are running cold and would not go from the high idle 'warm up' mode into the regular idle at optimum engine temp. Some engines also do not give max power because the ECU is fooled into thinking that the engine is still too cold.

And the Philippines is only daytime for around 12 hours, there is also the other 12 hours which is [relatively cold] nighttime. Then there's the cold/rainy season [which is about to start]. Plus there are areas of the Philippines cold enough to allow for the use of the cabin heater.
    I'd argue all day but about this, but opinions could only go so far... first off, most factory analog gauges are dummy gauges (not that accurate) but it can definitely tell if you're engine is over heating. Most engines' normal operating temp would be around 180deg F, an engine's cooling system minus the t-stat wolud still get plenty warm (even on a freeway/hi-way). Also ECU/ECM's doesn't read signals by the digits... but via paramaters sent by a temp switch, normally the same switch that controlls the fan; and if the ECU/UCM doesn't get that signal, it would raise the engines idle to get the signal but that would not prevent it from producing it's "max power" (you get power from fuel, air, spark, exhaust flow).
    And that would be the only drawback of not having a t-stat in a tropical climate, a few minutes of higher idle which converts to less than a teaspoon of gasoline.
    An engine can never be too cold unless you are in a real cold climate (somewhere around less than 40deg F). And unless you have a double row aluminum radiator, under driven waterpump, higher pressure radiator cap, aero dynamic tested front fascia to create low pressure underneath the engine and running a waterless coolant (NPG) in your cooling sys, the only drawback you would get from not having a t-stat is a longer high idle during start up.
    I am not recommending to go driving around without a t-stat but his question was somewhere along the lines of "would it be a big deal if..." by all means put it back on but like I've said it wouldn't really matter since the "stop and go traffic" together with the warm climate will ensure that your engine will reach max operating temp (even higher). Make sure that you keep up with the maintenance 'cause overheating can warp aluminum engine heads.
    ...and yes I am a mechanic, I've been serving as a vehicle technicin (7 level/craftsman) for the USAF for 6.5 years now

and one last thing, no it does not get that cold over there... you might've been just used to a warm climate so when the temp drops a few degs than normal, your skin shoots signals to your ECU (brain) and convinces your body that it is cold. it's all in your head j/k

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    how about those replaced thermostat from carb engine sir otep? is old rotary thermostat good?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not to flame D_J pero I would only believe your claims if you have better educational background and better experience in car design and manufacturing than those who did those cars that we see today in the market (and also marketed world wide)...

afaik these experienced and properly educated engineers have been designing these engines to contain these sensors (like the humble thermostat) because of the specific needs for fuel efficiency and power output.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    OT: If only I had the time, I'd be your classmate at Meralco sir userfriendly. Kaso hindi ko talaga ma-fit sa schedule.
    Sorry :offtopic: ,you will get bored with basic. For someone with your skills pang advanced ka na.

:Off-Topic2:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    not to flame D_J pero I would only believe your claims if you have better educational background and better experience in car design and manufacturing than those who did those cars that we see today in the market (and also marketed world wide)...

afaik these experienced and properly educated engineers have been designing these engines to contain these sensors (like the humble thermostat) because of the specific needs for fuel efficiency and power output.
    Are we talking of the same engineers that designed the 4JX1-TC? There are times that engineers forget to understand long term effects of their design.
    And leave the humble mechanic to do task of doing repairs and remedies for their faults.

When i was still studying we had a classmate who was an engineer. I asked him bakit pa siya nagenroll engineer na siya. He said nabilib siya sa classmate niya na mekanico na nag engineering.

I find DJ's claim reasonable. Have you experienced a shut closed thermostat? It can blow your cylinder head and render it RIP.

Userfriendly, how is your class doing? kamusta mo ako kay sir Roger S. Hindi ko na kayo ulit nabisita.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thermostat removed...help!