New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ewan ko sa cost ng oto, bahala ka na. Pero this is what I remember sa modding Lancers medyo budget pero very good on the track and on the road parin.

1.) Engine swap with install labor - 70,000
    * complete engine (engine, harness, ECU)

2.) Suspension mods - 50,000
    * new gas shocks
    * lowering springs
    * front and rear strut-bars

3.) Brakes - 12,000
    * surplus Mitsubishi front twin-piston calipers and 11 inch discs

These are the basic stuff for your RWYB / fun-car. Plus, you will have to spend on the ff pa:

1.) Really good bucket seats, even the reclinable ones, they make a HUGE difference on the track.

2.) Race grade fluids like gear oil, DOT 4 or better brake fluid, and fully synthetic engine oil

3.) Sport spec or better wear and tear parts like tires, brake pads, clutch

You might also want to invest in stuff like a good shift knob and steering wheel, a good pedal set(for easier heel-toe and double declutches, they realy help!), auxiliary gauges for oil temp, oil press and water temp, a shift light (ricey, but really helpful on the track). All these aim to help driver-to-car interface.

Tapos syempre good driving shoes, good gloves....... Ok ok the list goes on. ;)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's quite addicting IMO. :D

For 200K, you'll probably be able to find '92-'94 Corollas. They go for way over 200K for the later model AE101 IMO. If you're on a budget, go for the XE model then you can sawp t oa 4AGE/4AGZE engine.

Kung sa Nissan, you can get a '96-'98 B13 Sentra LEC for around 130-170K. Then you swap in an SR20 engine from a front-cut JDM Pulsar (the brakes and suspension fit in as well if i'm not mistaken). The downside with engine swapping in a Nissan is that it's not a common thing so it'll take some time, trial, and error... and probably cost more, but the results will be quite good IMO :D

However, the word "project car" doesnt mean a one time big time thing though. This would see you working on the car for the next 2 to 3 years down. If that is the case, research and search for a good 1600 sedan (i.e. Sentra, Civic, Lancer, Corolla) to work on then make a list of your priorities for the mods. I'd suggest that you work on your suspension and brakes before moving on to the big-HP mods from a turbo or engine swap. With the suspension mods, some light engine mods, and good brakes, you'll already be competitive in bracket C or D of RWYB.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    RS Sprint,

laki pala ng magagastos, mukhang mahirap ata maginvest ng hobby car. lalo na kung pangcircuit. ano nga pala yung 70,000.00 na engine?

mukhang mahirap makasetup ng good and fast car for under 350k.

siguro ipon pa ulit ng isang taon.

Vinj,

Have you heard of people swapping an SR20DET on a Senta, balita ko kasi lagi daw napuputol ang axle. Anong model ba yung B13? is this the big ones already.

I really would like to build up a good car, kaya choice ko is a 96 up model para i could work on it for a few years.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would suggest getting an Elantra as a project car, but you would have to get performance parts from abroad. Last time I've checked, a used Elantra costs around PHP 150K. That gives you PHP 200K to play with. If I have that kind of money, I would source a 2.0 Beta engine, race coilovers, and other tasteful mods in Korea, then pay the government for the importing tax stuff whatchamacallit. Now you got a sleeper car.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    lantraluvr,

can you give me more info about the elantra and what is the specs of the 2.0 beta engine? are you running this setup?

how is the ride comfort of an elantra?

thanks

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have not heard of the broken axle problem on the local swaps (well since not much are done so i cant keep tab on them) but i know that they have to fabricate new driveshafts for the car. With the SR20DET's, one common problem was that the stock tranny couldnt take the big HP gains...

The B13 is the Series 2 body (1991-95 supersaloon, and 95-99 LEC)

One of the members in Nissanbayan swapped in an SR20DET to his Sentra but i have not heard from him lately. His main problem was getting the engine together and running as he didnt get a complete engine and the guy who did the swap was in the dark on how to do it for he wasnt familiar with the SR20 swap... it's best talaga to get an engine that is as complete as possible and do some research. From what i heard, the B13 is one of teh better cars to use for a SR20 swap from the JDM N14 Pulsar since they are similar vehicles. Their suspension and brakes are also swappable as well if i remember it right

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    thanks vinj, i guess it will be hard going with the sr20det swap as a project car, i don't want to go into big problems on my project. since i really want a very reliable car.

i did see a guy have a sr20 swapped into his series 2, his series 2 is blue and has jap plates, we are both customers of this shop in evangelista.

i think i'll just lay more on a lancer or corolla then.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep, i think the Corolla is a good choice... Easy parts and good engine choices.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    vinj,

any suggestions on how to setup the corolla? preferrably an ae101

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lantraluvr,

can you give me more info about the elantra and what is the specs of the 2.0 beta engine? are you running this setup?

how is the ride comfort of an elantra?

thanks
    What do you wanna know about the Elantra? It is the sublime sister of the Tiburon/Coupe, but with 4 doors. The 2.0 Beta, hmmm... It is not a Mitsu motor. But it is responsive to boost. I can't find the engine so no, I'm not running it (yet).

Ride is nice and sporty. But beware, the Elantra is lower than your average sedan. So you must be careful w/ higher-than-average speedbumps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Project Car?