New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    hey guys! just need your advice guys on my problem. my uncle's Toyota Atlis 1.6J which was purchased last 2003 was overhauled two months ago because the car became "dead" - while driving, biglang namatay na lang. i think it is because he never brought the car into any maintenance even simple tune-up, PMS or change oil. So, the car was brought into toyota casa and it was overhauled. the overall cost went as high as 79K.

now, my dad is planning to buy it because my uncle cant anymore pay the financing scheme. the mileage is 45K and it is driven often going to Bulacan. my problem is...is it advisable to buy this car? what would be the future problems if an engine was already overhauled? or is it considered that the engine is as good as a new engine?

hop you can advice me on this problem. thanks a lot guys!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    It's basically a new engine.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Nyek... new car no PMS? Bakit daw?

I would stay away from that unless half the price. The other half would be to pay for the sakit ng ulo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Test drive it and have another CASA do a check on the entire car before making any decisions. It may run good or it may cost more in the long run if there are other parts that have not been maintained (suspension, brakes, a/c, etc...)

Seems like your Uncle really abused the car huh.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    tipong sakay-andar lang totits mo ah!! hangga't umaandar tsikot sige lang ng sige tsk! tsk! just like vinj said, pacheck mo buong kotse...and good luck!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since it was overhauled parang bago yan (yung engine). may warranty ba yung pagka-overhaul sa casa (which i think meron)? then check nyo lahat (underchassis, body, paint, suspension, etc.) if everything is in mint condition then its ok to buy it. saka uncle mo naman yung may-ari kaya siguradong alam nyo yung history ng kotse.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Una, since sa casa pinagawa, i sincerely doubt na inoverhaul yan hehe. They probably just changed some filters, probably changed a couple of valves or so...

But since it's only an 03, I don't think much damage can result from that sort of neglect if nothing was wrong with the car (no leaks or ignition problem).

But unless the price is ridiculously low, I dont think it's worth it.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    thanks for the comments guys!

the wildthing: di ko nga alam baket di nya pinapa-tune up. sayang nga ang altis eh. di nya pinapa-tune up ng every 5k. sayang nga eh! weird ang uncle ko! hehe

vinj: i have been driving the car for the past 3 weeks. as of now, it runs good naman. aircon is good, wala pa naman maingay sa ilalim. but i'm still confuse whether to buy it or not kasi makina ang tinamaan eh.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    jim: another thing.....in terms of paint near the tire, it's already white, meaning, di rin na-rustproof ang bandang gulo kasi namumuti na eh....siguro kalawang na ang ilalim. i think i would bring it into another casa for further check-up.

theveed: do you think casa just replaced the parts of the engine? di tlga overhaul?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    vilaern yung puti yun yung primer. pa-check mo na rin baka may namuo nang kalawang para sigurado.
    Last edited by jim; June 24th, 2005 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Overhauled after effect...