New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    Hmm, does this mean that I can still re-use the drained battery (20months used) which I replaced last week? All i have to do is put water then slow charge? BTW its the OEM batt.
    depende din cguro kung hindi pa naman sira ang plate

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    ok to check my batt.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I have three batteries. Not MF but the usual traditional type na may openings. matagal di nagamit. Ngayon ayaw na mag-charge. Nare-repair pa ba ito?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i just wanna share my experience about batteries. i hope this will help...

Just 9 mos. after buying a batt (maintenance), with the usual periodic check, i noticed that everytime i start in the morning, it was not as powerful as usual. This went on for a week, then I brought to a battery shop and have it charged for a whole day. It was ok for two days, then back to the same situation. So, i thought, it was time to change battery AGAIN! However, before buying a new one, as a last resort to economize, i drained the batt, rinsed the inside with tap water, put it upside down under the sun, to drain all moisture. Then, put new batt solution and charged it fully. You know what, my batt became like new? It has been 7 mo. since and i havent encountered any problem with my batt again.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Distilled water lang ba talaga ang idagdag sa battery or electrolyte?
    distilled lang sir mm, mapapansin naman natin kung talagang pawala na
    even lagi normal level ang h20. meaning talagang pa-bigay na. at least
    na-maximized natin batt life.

Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    Hmm, does this mean that I can still re-use the drained battery (20months used) which I replaced last week? All i have to do is put water then slow charge? BTW its the OEM batt.
    pwede pang subukan, it will charged up again considering buo pa
    ang plates as boeing said. anyway 1 week pa lang.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang tip sa akin nung tito kong mekaniko, to check kung sira na ang plates ng batt. open nyo ung mga lagayan ng distilled water sa batt, tapos try to start the engine, pag may bumula dun sa mga butas, sira na ung plate, replacement na tlaga. Pag wala nman daw, baka tuyo lang and kelangan i refill ng distilled water tapos charge ulit

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    pag parang inaamag na ba yung mga battery terminals sira na ba ang baterya nun

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depende sa gamit at kung match sa power requirement ng vehicle. yung battery ko june 2003 pa, one click pa din. walang patayan ang aircon (sabay na andar ng ac sa start ng engine), pero stock lang ang sounds kaya hindi malakas ang power. isa pa, yung dati ay 1SM lang, itong battery na lapit na 3-1/2 years e 2SM, kasya naman e. motolite gold maintenance free. back in june 2003 yung 1SM costs P2100, yung 2SM was P2500. mas mahal ng 400 petot pero 3-1/2 years na strong pa din. sulit na sulit!

yun lang advice ko kung battery paguusapan. kung kasya sa engine bay e buy 1 size bigger. cost more in short term but lasts longer (and thus costs less).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bomboklat View Post
    pag parang inaamag na ba yung mga battery terminals sira na ba ang baterya nun
    nope, sa charging system may diprensya pag ganun. Clean the terminals lang and put petroleum jelly para maiwasan bumalik mga corrosion sa terminals.Pag malala ang diprensya ng alternator(under/over charged) usually babalik agad yung parang amag

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Presence ng "amag" na whitish-green sa terminal posts does not necessarily mean na sira na ang baterya. pwedeng linisin ito by means of baking soda/water...see highlighted article below. me nabasa pa ako na pwede daw gamitin ang sugar-free diet soda na panglinis, pero di ko pa na-try.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Battery Care
    Routine maintenance to avoid going nowhere

Debbie Murphy / autoMedia.com

Unlike most toys, your vehicle actually comes with a battery. But, unlike that energetic little bunny, your car battery won't keep on going and going without some diligence on your part. Before we get into the maintenance tips, there are a few things worth knowing about automotive batteries, which will help you understand exactly what they do.

About Batteries

The battery stores energy in chemical form that is released on demand as electricity. The energy is used by the vehicle's ignition system to crank the engine, as well as power the lights or other accessories. If your alternator fails, your vehicle can run on the battery alone, at least for a short period of time. Normally, however, as long as your engine is running, the alternator keeps the battery recharged. If you operate any electrical items with the engine off, such as power windows, the audio system or headlights, the battery will slowly drain.

Check the water levels often during hot summer months. Because automotive batteries contain hydrogen-oxygen gases and sulfuric acid that can cause serious burns, you need to observe some precautions before you handle the battery. The American National Standards Institute recommends wearing safety glasses or goggles and a face shield. Other precautions include never leaning over the battery, working in a well-ventilated area, and keeping all ignition sources, like cigarettes, away from the battery.

Water Level

Now, on to battery care: First, if your battery is an older type that's not sealed, it's important to make sure the water level is adequate. It's easy to tell which type you have: unsealed batteries have small vent caps on top that can be easily unscrewed. If the water level is not up to the bottom of the cap, replenish it. For areas where the tap water is hard (with a high mineral content), use distilled water. If you're really not sure if the local water is hard or soft, distilled water is your best and safest bet. Check the water levels often during hot summer months, as heat tends to evaporate water more quickly. If the battery water level is allowed to get too low, the heat generated within the battery will destroy the battery cells.

Terminals

Next, check the battery terminals (one is marked positive +, the other negative - ). If they are encrusted with deposits, clean them with a wire brush dipped in baking soda and water. These deposits can block the flow of electricity. Make sure not to splash any of the baking soda/water solution on the vehicle's paint surfaces. Now, check the battery cable ends. A loose battery cable does an excellent impersonation of a totally dead battery. If there is any movement of the battery cable end that is attached to the terminal, it is too loose and needs tightening.

Whenever you disconnect the battery cables from the terminals, either to clean the connections or remove the battery, disconnect the negative terminal first. Removing the positive connector can cause a spark, especially if you're using a metal tool that comes in contact with any piece of metal on the car. The spark can create an ignition source that could cause the battery to explode.

Brackets

Make sure the brackets that hold your battery in place are tight. Loose brackets will cause the battery to vibrate when the car is running and this constant vibration will shorten the life of the battery. It's also wise to check the condition of the battery tray for corrosion, which, if not stopped, can seriously undermine the tray. If there's minor corrosion, brush it off and apply an acid-resistant paint to the tray. If the tray has been weakened by corrosion, replace it. The condition of the tray and brackets are vital to keeping the battery from tipping over under the hood, a rare, but not unheard of mishap. They also prevent excessive vibrations from damaging the battery.

Recharge

If you do need to recharge your battery, the best equipment is a trickle charger, preferably left on overnight or about eight to 10 hours. If your battery is unsealed, remove the vent caps and place a damp rag across the openings. Attach the alligator clips on the charger to your battery. The red clip should be attached to the positive terminal, the green or black to the negative terminal. If your battery is sealed, there should be a charge indicator window on top. If the window shows green or is dark, the battery needs charging. When the window is clear or yellow, sorry, but your battery needs to be replaced.

Unless the battery manufacturer indicates otherwise, the average life of a battery is about four years. So, if you want to enjoy several years of confident vehicle starts, follow these simple maintenance tips of checking your battery water levels, terminal, bracket and tray condition every two months or so.

Copyright autoMedia.com 2000-2006

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Interesting "Realities" and "Myths" about Car Batteries