New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    over the years, chrysler, dodge, plymouth and now jeep had little holes drilled on the lower part of the muffler to drain the water byproduct of combustion. fuels which are carbon compounds are burned inside to the engine combining 21 % of the air produce H20 (water), NOx, CO, CO2, O2 and unburnt fuel HC flowing through the exhaust system. all of them are in gaseous form except for water which collect at the bottom inside of the muffler. now, other manufacturers are following suit for the same reason of extending the service life of the muffler. if you don't have a weep hole on the resonator of the muffler, water sits and constantly react with steel. remember, rust never sleeps. if you drill holes, don't be surprised to notice water dripping. the size of the hole can be as small as 1/8 of an inch (could be smaller) without any change in the sound or silence of the tailpipe with the engine running.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Good to know. I'm not aware if said holes exist in our vehicles. Would be interesting to find out.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    papayag ba ang emissions testing facility, kung may butas nang ganyan ang ating mga muffler?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    papayag ba ang emissions testing facility, kung may butas nang ganyan ang ating mga muffler?
    I don't think they care.

In all the years I've had my vehicles emissions tested, there wasn't a single time they even attempted to inspect any portion of the exhaust system. They just put the probe in and that's that.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I don't think they care.

In all the years I've had my vehicles emissions tested, there wasn't a single time they even attempted to inspect any portion of the exhaust system. They just put the probe in and that's that.
    well,
    i'm a law abider...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Yup, hindi naman kasi nila alam yan dahil hindi nachecheck.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    well,
    i'm a law abider...
    How is it illegal? Especially if it came out like such from the factory?
    Last edited by oj88; May 17th, 2023 at 02:33 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009

what do they know, they don't even have or not know how to use a five gas exhaust analyzer. if you ask them why there is water vapor out the exhaust they probably can't explain.

the u.s. epa clean air act uses california specs now. before year 2000, there were california and federal and canada emissions specs.

even then, chrysler cars had weep holes on the mufflers prior to obd1 and now obd2 compliance. so, in that quasi concern if it was legal or not is no doubt not a problem.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Mustang muffler drain hole

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    There are a number of YT videos where people have drilled holes on the lowest part of their muffler, giving the stagnant water a way out. Judging by how much water is coming out, I'd say it can be anywhere from a few hundred milliliters to a liter, maybe more... depending on the size of the muffler.

Notice that if a car in front of you is on an incline, you could see water dripping out the tailpipe. This could mean that his muffler is already likely filled with water and tipping it slightly allowed some of it to spill out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast