New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    sir question lang:

is there any disadvantage of having too many relays?

i got a relay each for my two horns, a relay for each headlight, and a relay for the foglights.

that makes 5 relays na ipinakabit ko (not counting the stock relays sa fusebox).

also, if there is a relay already installed and you add another, would it add up?

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wewoy_romero View Post
    sir question lang:

is there any disadvantage of having too many relays?

i got a relay each for my two horns, a relay for each headlight, and a relay for the foglights.

that makes 5 relays na ipinakabit ko (not counting the stock relays sa fusebox).

also, if there is a relay already installed and you add another, would it add up?

thanks.
    The more parts there are, the more things can go wrong.

I think additional relays are not permanently mounted, naka cable tie lang or something. It may get loose.

Circuit wise, it is better to have relays than none at all.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What horn are you using? Usually, horns just need 1 relay for a pair. But that's ok. As mentioned, it's better to have the relays than none at all.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    relay is usually essential ... so guess having them is better than not having at all ...

i agree

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    mga sirs, how about DISadvantage naman? saka kelan po sobra na ang relays?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you have two relays in one circuit. In cases wherein an electrician doens'nt know or too lazy to locate to replace.
    Relay usually have two outlets(87) good enough for a pair of horn (one each)
    Relay are usually used for high current or quick response accesories. headlight is an example of the first, horn and magnetic coil(A/C) is for the second.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Why did you add relays? Are the headlights, foglights and horns bigger (draws more current) than stock? If not then I don't see the necessity for additional relays. Your car already has relays. Relays are added if you uprate the lights or horns and the original relays can't handle the added load. Or as an easy fix if the original wiring is old and corroded and cannot handle the same current anymore. Ideally I'd take out the old relay and put in a new one (and bigger if I'm uprating), but the idea of breaking out the car's fuse and relay boxes and neatly wrapped harnesses isn't appealing to me, so I'll go with the easy fix

Simply put, if you don't have to - then don't.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A relay takes the load off low ampere switches such as the column mounted rotary switch for park, headlamp and wipers. It feeds power directly from the battery to your lights, horns and audio syatem. More often 1 relay is enough to power one pair of headlight or horn. Car manufacturers installs just the right amount of relay for a load or application, I guess this is where economics comes in. My only concern here is more relay means more wire, more sockets and more joints and as we all know these are affected by heat and moisture. What could be a simple fault to isolate might turn out to be nightmare if the electrician isn't the one who installed your added relays.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    my headlight bulbs are upgraded kasi to 80/85 osram all-weathers. and one of my horns is a nautilus. the car is already 9 years old (civic 98) so kailangan talaga.

i am just wondering if putting too much would be a bad thing. i guess one of the issues would be more items to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

1. eh how about the car battery? would it drain faster knowing na lahat ng devices would be drawing power directly from it?

2. would it stress some of the devices knowing lahat sila nag-aagawan na current/power? would some devices na walang relay be getting less current/power?

3. if the electrician nga just added another relay without checking if merong existing, would the two relays add up or useless lang?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    additional:

i noticed sa mga diagrams ng pag-add ng relays that they install fuses and have a direct connection sa car battery. with my headlight relays ganito nga (30A relays, 20A fuse). pero dun sa horn and fogs, may relay pero i don't see a direct connection sa car battery. mali ba yung gumawa or merong ibang place siya kung saan siya nag-tap ng power?

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
disadvantage of too many relays