New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hey guys, I've been usually driving in neutral for a year or so na when I get the right speed or when going downhill and I just want to know if it is a bad driving practice. I've read in the PinoyPC.net forums that it isn't good at all, I just want to ask your opinions on this.

Do you guys do the same? Do you guys did it before? What are its negative effects? I heard it affects the carborator and a lot more other parts, like the breaks because of the stress it receives compared to engine breaking. I would say that one of my reasons of doing this rather than engine breaking is because it appears to be fuel saving. Please do post your experiences and observations.

Sorry if I'm too n00bish, I'm just really curious on the facts regarding this. I kinda got used to it now and planning to stop doing the next time I drive. In my case, I've been getting the low idling because of carborator and fuel filter problems.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i only shift to neutral when im at a complete stop, otherwise i just keep it at D, 3 or 2 when on a steep incline.

yep IIRC shifting to neutral while moving is bad for ur tranny.

i dont know if its a myth,

pero sabi nga its bad for a auto-tranny(all kinds) to cruise at neutral because of the wear..

i'll just put it this way...yeah it will save fuel...but it will not save your brake pads, tranny mechanism...so in return, no savings..or worst..

means that the amout you save on fuel cost may be used for the repairs...or worst, the fuel cost you save is not enough to pay the repair...

unwise..

if your car is brought new, then surely it has a owner's manual...just follow what is indicated there.or you can just search here at tsikot.. me thinks there's much knowledge you can dig here.

hope this helps.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    "Kung M/T yung sasakyan mo, hindi. Kung A/T, oo." Based on another forum.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Tanong ko lang po, if you are going downhill at naka 4th or 3rd gear ka pero di mo na inaapakan gas pedal, is it also considered cruising? ganoon kasi gawain ko pag nag drive ako

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    This is what happens when a country doesn't issue a real driving test. The reasoning behind not cruising in neutral is that it is unsafe. Not that it will hurt your (MT) car; it won't, it's simply better driving to keep it in gear.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Coasting in Neutral with an A/T is bad....if the engine is not running.

Unlike an M/T, the A/T needs a pump to distribute the ATF all over the tranny. This pump derives its power directly from the torque converter's impeller, which in turn is connected to the flexplate and on to the engine's crankshaft. If the engine is off, the pump is also off, and the ATF can't get to certain moving parts causing premature wear and early failure.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pal
    Tanong ko lang po, if you are going downhill at naka 4th or 3rd gear ka pero di mo na inaapakan gas pedal, is it also considered cruising? ganoon kasi gawain ko pag nag drive ako
    That's called engine braking or coasting in gear, depending on the rpm of the engine.

If the engine is being used to slow down the vehicle, obviously it's called "engine braking"; but if the engine is merely pacing along with the slowing car, then it's more appropriately called "coasting".

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    post ko lang po ang opinion ko i don't know for sure. pero ang alam ko, either M/T or A/T pag nag- neutral while cruising is bad. for one, you are compromising the traction of the vehicle. to make it simple, you are simply removing the force between the contact patch and pavement by putting the tranny in neutral while cruising, making the vehicle much lighter applying the mechanical advantage. besides, sino namang matinong driver ang gagawa nun?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Cruising in neutral isn't really that bad unless unless you do it in an old technology vehicle with bad brakes. Most, if not all modern cars have brakes that are more than sufficient in stopping a car safely repeated from high speeds with little or no brake fade.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Cruising in Neutral: Bad?