New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hello po,

Normal lang po ba ang level ko from F maging L in 1 yr? 06 1.1 Getz po.

Salamat

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    AFAIK, coolant level goes up and down. Pagmainit ang engine, coolant goes up, radiator pushes excess coolant into reserviour. This is done to relive pressure. The radiator gets the coolant form the reserviour when the engine is cool.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when you looked at it was the engine cold or hot? pag cold medyo need mo ng mag add para nasa 3/4 between L and H. pag hot, wag mo muna buksan...hehehe.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Cold po ako nagtse-check. After weekly washing. Ang concern ko lang po talaga bang natural na nababawasan ang coolant over time? Me nagsabi kasi sakin patingin ko raw, me nagsabi naman saking lagyan ko lang ng tubig.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    just refill mo na lang up to full. check your manual kung ano ang ilalagay kung pure coolant or mix of coolant and water.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    imo, that's not normal. i have a one year old car too, level hasn't changed over the span of one year. maybe if the loss is minimal, like 1 millimeter, then that's ok. i think there's a leak somewhere. check the radiator cap, the leak might be there. there should be some dried up white stuff around it, water/coolant that leaked out when the engine was hot. if you ever decide to refill it, use distilled water mixed with coolant and add to the reservoir, not the radiator. you may also use premixed coolant and simply add. be sure to get the right spec coolant.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depende din sa gamit mo yan. if you don't use your car much less ang evaporation ng water. if daily and mostly traffic where your engine temp normally goes high mas malaki possibility na mas maraming water mag evaporate.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Guys, kindly verify nga din sa mga Radiator caps nyo.

If I remember correctly, the radiator cap functions like a Pressure releive valve. Meron siyang spring which is calibrated for a certain pressure. If the temp rises too much (meaning also pressure rises too much), the spring in the cap releases the pressure to the Coolant Reservoir.

The level of the liquid in the reservoir is maintained in such a way so that there will be not much back pressure from the radiator cap when it releases the pressure. Level can decrease because of evaporation thru the overflow line. Which I think is normal. If the level is too low, you might get steam coming out if ever the radiator boils out.

Now, somebody mentioned na kapag ang engine ay lumamig na daw, some of the liquid in the reservoir comes back to the radiator...This part I am not sure coz how will the Radiator cap let water back since it acts like a check valve.
    Last edited by DonT; October 28th, 2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammar checking

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    coolant level in reservoir is higher when engine is hot, lower when engine is cold. as i recall the phenomenon was already explained in a different thread. the thread starter pointed out that within a year the coolant level dropped from near full to the low level which i believe is not normal. there's gotta be a leak somewhere.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DonT View Post
    Guys, kindly verify nga din sa mga Radiator caps nyo.

If I remember correctly, the radiator cap functions like a Pressure releive valve. Meron siyang spring which is calibrated for a certain pressure. If the temp rises too much (meaning also pressure rises too much), the spring in the cap releases the pressure to the Coolant Reservoir.

The level of the liquid in the reservoir is maintained in such a way so that there will be not much back pressure from the radiator cap when it releases the pressure. Level can decrease because of evaporation thru the overflow line. Which I think is normal. If the level is too low, you might get steam coming out if ever the radiator boils out.

Now, somebody mentioned na kapag ang engine ay lumamig na daw, some of the liquid in the reservoir comes back to the radiator...This part I am not sure coz how will the Radiator cap let water back since it acts like a check valve.
    Here is a good explanation of how it works. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Coolant Level