New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Cool it guys! When I doubt, just read the Owner's Manual of your vehicle, ok?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Blink, in your first reply you said why to wait a few minutes? Then your last reply prior to this message says you wait for 3 minutes. I don't get you.
    You didn't get what I intent to have said, in my early posts, I said you didn't have to wait 5-10 minutes, while on my previous post, I said it will take you 3 minutes you get to measure the reading after you shut off the car. Did you think I was telling you to pull over, step off the car, open the hood then go back to your car to shut it off before you pull out the dipstick?

Yes, how do you measure if one's engine oil is overfilled? Diba when the oil exceeds the FULL mark? But question is when does that happen? Of course, when you fill up the engine knowing that when it was cold, the engine was already at FULL, and YET you still filled it up when warm. Correct?
    wahhhh... you'll know when it's overfilled when the dipstick says it's overfilled when the car is warmed up! Damn! You're not supposed to measure the oil level when the car is COLD so why say it's FULL when it's COLD??? Damn . . . :waah: How many times do people gotta ask questions that have already been answered?!

Be it three, five, or ten minutes, the oil will still be warm. As long as it's between the full and low mark, then that's OK. But when it's cold, and it's between the full and low mark, then it's time to top it off. Correct?
    the temp of the oil when car's running isn't the same as the temp of the oil after you turn it off for 3 minutes! Again, you should not refer on the level of reading when the car is COLD!

Dang, I'm done with this thread... I don't need to say things over and over, I've said it all, measure your oil when the car's cold if that's how you want to do it... mbeige, you don't make sense at all...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russpogi View Post
    Cool it guys! When I doubt, just read the Owner's Manual of your vehicle, ok?
    Tama!

And this is what mine says:

With the engine at normal operating temperature and engine is off...

1. Best to be on level ground... wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back... Pull dipstick out.

the_wildthing: Sorry, forgot the exact words on my way up. Pero sigurado akong walang nakalagay na exact minutes pero may rason kung bakit.

2. Wipe with a rag...

3. Put dipstick back all the way in.

4. Pull it out and check the level...

the_wildthing: may drawing pa.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    popcorn!!!

:popcorn::popcorn:

:peace:

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Yup, I also measure several minutes after the engine has warmed up and shut down. It's in my manual, and that's what I was taught in several seminars I have been made to attend as part of our company fleet accreditation/education.

Probably, some of the other cars' dip stick were calibrated on a cold engine?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Another Page 10 thread in the making? Hehehe, c'mon guys, lets not get all worked up over a petty thing like this.

Basta ako, in my manual (Honda), approx. 4 liters ang capacity ng engine, so, cold engine or not, I always ask my mechanic to put in 4 liters (together with a new filter)

7. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    i just did a little experiment. i measured the oil with a cold engine, car was parked over night.. and earlier today, i measured it with about 3-5 minute drain time, so warm engine pa din.. and guess what.. halos di ko man lang makita difference in oil level sa dip stick!!!

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    wow, i didnt thing this tread was goin to be so exciting. hehehhe... for me i think its best to wait 5mins to before u check your engine oil.by the way i think that NAscar race cars have dry sum oil systems, so i think it would be different, from normal private cars.and i have also noticed that some cars have on the dipstick an add mark and a full mark. and like they say if ur oil level is between the 2 then your in the clear.anyways thanks for the insights. and ya i agree wit slip-slick, theres hardly a difference. whether the engine is cold or hot. because we liv in the tropics, where the weather is fairly the same temperature. in colder countries there might a significant difference.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    You didn't get what I intent to have said, in my early posts, I said you didn't have to wait 5-10 minutes, while on my previous post, I said it will take you 3 minutes you get to measure the reading after you shut off the car. Did you think I was telling you to pull over, step off the car, open the hood then go back to your car to shut it off before you pull out the dipstick?

Another case of failing to communicate clearly...

"Wait 3 mins". That's a very important step. You just missed that completely.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoy View Post
    whether the engine is cold or hot. because we liv in the tropics, where the weather is fairly the same temperature. in colder countries there might a significant difference.
    this might be the reason behind the confusions

pero ako katulad ni sir galactus, kung anong quantity ang sinabi sa manual yon ang sinusunod ko

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
confusing oil level indication