New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    imo, the worst thing you can do is pay an employee of an establishment to do work outside. this not only promotes his being absent or tardy at work, but it also is like stealing from his employer.

the fact that you ask him to do it means you not only condone but encourage that kind of behavior.

if i ever catch one of my mechanics doing that in my shop, no questions asked tangal na sya.

mabuti pa to hire one of the freelance mechanics kung ganun. pero don't do it sa shops. imagine kung ikaw owner what you'd feel kung ganun.

tama ka dyan bro not every body understand business , theres a saying nga not everybody is born a businessman others are just born to be an employee maybe ganyan si cobalt blue i wonder what he will feel kung sa kanya ginawa iyon

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok lang ba kung magpaservice ka sa mechanic (e.g. casa mechanic) during his days off?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    utk505, i know... you get where i'm comming from coz may shop ka rin pero most people here will not.

OTEP, that's kinda gray area. ako if my mechanic says he needs to do something like that basta magpaalam sya sa akin and it is not a conflict of what we do in the shop then wala ako problems or kung relative nya etc. pero once he does it for a customer na nakilala nya in the shop ibang usapan na yun.

it's still not "right" tho... why not just have it done in casa?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Because casa is not open on Sundays?

Yung isa kasi naming electrician, sa Banawe nagtatrabaho pero dito lang sa lugar namin umuuwi. Kaya mas convenient magpaservice sa bahay kung hindi naman kailangan ng specialized parts and equipment.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Does'nt the mechanic also have the right to earn a little extra? i.e. sideline( as long as he does it on his own time)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    utk505, i know... you get where i'm comming from coz may shop ka rin pero most people here will not.

OTEP, that's kinda gray area. ako if my mechanic says he needs to do something like that basta magpaalam sya sa akin and it is not a conflict of what we do in the shop then wala ako problems or kung relative nya etc. pero once he does it for a customer na nakilala nya in the shop ibang usapan na yun.

it's still not "right" tho... why not just have it done in casa?
    its understandable that you guys have this kind of policy since you have a business to run. most people however, are customers and their interests are markedly different from business owners. as for the employees, afaik what they do during their day off is their own concern, unless the employers also pay them during those times. with a low income, it wouldn't be surprising if they decide to go and earn extra income. but i have to agree that stealing customers from the business of his employer is not a good practice.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    GasJunkie, nope. if he's an employee of a certain shop he is hired by them to only do work for them. it's like if you're a programmer and on the weekends you do some programming work for your competition. you apply the skills you learn from one workplace to someone else's benefit. there are so many other examples i could use pero you probably get the idea.

if the mechanic has a problem with money or the pay he is receiving then he should complain to his boss and not seek out sources of additional income.

tsupermario, i think that's the problem with most people who use this mentality. it's very one sided. you think and act like a consumer but fail to look at the other end of it and who you are really cheating. for me, if this is the way that the mechanic thinks, he is better off working freelance all the time. why even report to work if he's just going to go off and do other work.

the main reason you go to a shop with a name is because they can offer you guarantees for the work they do. i.e. you get something done by the freelance mechanic and everything goes wrong while he is changing your timing belt and this results in bent valves... what are you going to do? ask him to pay? that's the worst case scenario pero many do exist and we've repaired a lot of work in the shop that is caused by a mechanic who sidelined for someone and screwed up. syempre it's double the hassle, double the espense and all of that to save a couple of hundred pesos the 1st time.

this is purely my own opinion pero sana next time you pay off a mechanic to do personal work for you while he is being employed elsewhere, you do think about the ramnifications of your actions.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Take my case for example... I get off from PGH around 7 or 8pm everyday so having KIDDO serviced anywhere is a problem. Thats why I usually ask help from PILHINO mechanics and request them if they could do home service at night for me when I'm available. Of course, this is with permission from zukiman, our contact from Suzuki. I believe its a case to case basis naman.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    actually i'm more concerned about the employee. imho it doesn't sit well to curtail an employee's right to earn additional income, especially if that employee is not earning much. of course he shouldn't do it during work hours. that's why i said: what they do during their day off is their own concern. i also said that stealing customers from the business of his employer is not a good practice...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    tsupermario, i don't think you should generalize that all mechanics get paid poorly. my chief mechanic takes home almost 15k a month inclusive of bonuses, tips, etc. my other guys are also paid equally well plus get free lodging, electricity and water from me.

some shops may pay poorly which is incentive for them to fool around behind the backs of their bosses but i believe if you treat your employees correctly then they should respect their eployers enough not to do anything behind their backs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
bad experience in Motorcraft banawe