New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    In my journey to find my next SUV, I’ve been receiving those sponsored FB ads on facelifted vehicles. I first learned of them over a decade ago when navigators or Escalades (not sure anymore) where being “upgraded”. Now I see ads of LCs and Patrols with facelift kits, and somehow I see that it’s a good way for some to refresh a trusted and worthy companion who’ve served them for some time instead of simply slapping on a new set of wheels. Or, if one desires the new look but does not have the budget for it, a used unit and a facelift might do the trick.

Some thoughts come to mind:
    - is it still (or has it ever been) taboo?
    - assuming the owner is honest about provenance, no harm no foul?
    - to each his own?

What’s your take?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Budget LC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Are you referring to buying a third party kit to "facelift" you car?

Using the Mirage as a sample, you want to buy a kit to make it look like the current version?

To:

???

Or are you referring to A-Toy's projects? (like what this Ginebra player did?)

My personal opinion

Buy the best car you can afford, enjoy it and learn to move on when the time comes.

When I was younger (collage days), "upgrade" here and there, but they will only have a negative impact on the value of your car when its time to sell.

Plus I noticed that some of the biggest "updates" a car receives (mid-cycle) is actually on the inside (e.g. better entertainment system)

So the only 3rd party "upgrade" my cars get is a head-unit

Everything else, is the same from the day it left the dealership... If you see my car in person, yes those body-kits were installed by the dealership (last na talaga, next car will be all stock)

as for your question. Its your car and if body-kits and facelifts make you happy, you don't need to defend yourself

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Are you referring to buying a third party kit to "facelift" you car?

Using the Mirage as a sample, you want to buy a kit to make it look like the current version?

To:

???

Or are you referring to A-Toy's projects? (like what this Ginebra player did?)

My personal opinion

Buy the best car you can afford, enjoy it and learn to move on when the time comes.

When I was younger (collage days), "upgrade" here and there, but they will only have a negative impact on the value of your car when its time to sell.

Plus I noticed that some of the biggest "updates" a car receives (mid-cycle) is actually on the inside (e.g. better entertainment system)

So the only 3rd party "upgrade" my cars get is a head-unit

Everything else, is the same from the day it left the dealership... If you see my car in person, yes those body-kits were installed by the dealership (last na talaga, next car will be all stock)

as for your question. Its your car and if body-kits and facelifts make you happy, you don't need to defend yourself
    Thanks for the response.

Yes I’m referring to aftermarket kits to update the look of a car, similar to the LC and Patrol kits one can find on FB. I think Atoy’s kits are more into the Toyota to Lexus transformation.

No I’m not defending myself, I’m not looking to purchase a facelifted vehicle nor facelift an existing one. I simply wonder as to how people in general feel about it given the prevalence of these kits and the openness in marketing them.

Good point on resale value, by the way.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Keep the car stock. It’s a bit pretentious modding it to make it look like a more expensive one.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Keep the car stock. It’s a bit pretentious modding it to make it look like a more expensive one.

How about upping the look? From this year to another year look?

My relatives in Apalit told me mostly PPVs do this mabenta nga daw talaga bumper / ilaw / fender flares.

Yung tropa ko nabangga Fortuner niya, we are looking for a surplus parts for him kaso yun nga in demand yung panels na hanap niya due to those “upgrading” their look.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    another thing to consider... How the paint will age

Imagine replacing the car's bumper which is technically more than half of the car's front

yung paint ng new bumper will be matched to the existing paint ng car mo which is slightly faded thanks to the natural elements

yung paint ng new bumber... mag fade pa lang. and after a year, mapapansin mo na magkaiba na yung paint ng body and bumper ng car mo.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    How about upping the look? From this year to another year look?
    since nabanggit mo yung bangga

yung Revo ng friend ko nabangga ng Starex na company car (I think early 2020, wala pa kasi silang mask sa photos).

Sabi ni Starex, company policy daw na kahit anong accident, yung car dapat dalhin sa casa for repairs

so dinala yung Revo sa Toyota for body repairs... nung lumabas, sa casa yung Revo, facelifted look na with body kits. wala na daw kasi silang parts

9. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    since nabanggit mo yung bangga

yung Revo ng friend ko nabangga ng Starex na company car (I think early 2020, wala pa kasi silang mask sa photos).

Sabi ni Starex, company policy daw na kahit anong accident, yung car dapat dalhin sa casa for repairs

so dinala yung Revo sa Toyota for body repairs... nung lumabas, sa casa yung Revo, facelifted look na with body kits. wala na daw kasi silang parts
    what year yung nabanggang Revo? YUng facelift bang ginamit is sa Sport Runner o sa VX200? Might considering giving a facelift of my 2000 GLX.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I'm not into it. I'd go with maximum gloss via ceramic coating. It never gets old.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast