New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ I know gasoline or diesel will dissolve paint... but definitely not within seconds. It appears like your paint has almost no clear coat. Typically, when fuel is left to dry on a painted surface, all that'll usually leave is a nasty stain that can easily be buffed off with polishing or rubbing compound. It shouldn't even reach the base coat.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    the revo with ppg ceramiclear paint was left on for about a good 3 to 5 minutes since the gas boy took some time looking for a rag, and im sure it still has clear coat since i had it 2x coated, when he did wiped it, it was already nearly dry and when he did, some of the clear coat went with the rag exposing the base coat, the weird thing is when he wiped it dry it was still smooth to the touch, but when i got home its like blisters formed on the clear coat and base coat making it really rough

as for the camry, what happened was the gas boy dropped a few drops in the paint, i managed to dig out some used fastfood napkins about 30 seconds in my car and wipe it down, when i got back home i saw the dropped spot whiten since my car was black so its definitely noticeable, i was hoping to buff it out that weekend with a polish and a wax, so i started to wash my car, and went on with claying until i noticed its like a part of the dropped area peeled off, thats when i noticed the dropped part was already bulging with water inside like a huge blister

oj88: you mentioned it should be easily buffed off with polishing or rubbing compound, although i know the diesel definitely ate through the base and with me being very upset with ppg ceramiclear, im planning to try to smoothen out the areas around the damaged base coat since it has some really rough spots around it (more like blistered clearcoat) at least to make it a little bit more presentable and at least try to hide the defects. im assuming you have encountered this before, could you recommend some products that are good for polishing and removing these rough spots? and do you think wet sanding the area's around the damaged basecoat (not the damaged basecoat-wouldn't want to add more damage) would be a great idea? its been months now and im a bit scared of touching the area or even polishing out the rough spots

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    ^ I know gasoline or diesel will dissolve paint... but definitely not within seconds. It appears like your paint has almost no clear coat. Typically, when fuel is left to dry on a painted surface, all that'll usually leave is a nasty stain that can easily be buffed off with polishing or rubbing compound. It shouldn't even reach the base coat.
    Agree on this one. The same incident happened to Gen1 CR-V, did not affect the original paint.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Sorry if I seem to appear an expert on the subject, but I'm really not. These has all been from previous experiences (ie. gas boy took out the nozzle too early while it was still dripping, the auto-stop failed to work, etc.) All of which never left any permanent marks on any of the cars I've owned. If there were any visible residue, it was easily removed by washing or for the more stubborn ones, some localized buffing.

For tips on how to restore the surface, try this site: http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/auto/...from-vehicles/

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    hmmm i wonder what ever made things worse in my case then, i hope you guys don't think i'm exaggerating, i'll try to get some pics tomorrow, i already had the lower part of the gas tank spot paint repaired but im still saving for the spot paint repair for the lower fiber glass part.

would it have something to do with the PPG ceramiclear paint? both cars have it-just a thought, i had it put on both cars simply because i got tired of our cat always scratching the hoods and the local carwash boys swirling it when we have it washed

oj88: thanks for the link, this will be very helpfull at least now i know its gonna be ok to wax and polish the paint, i'll try this and give it a shot once typhoon "pepeng" clears out, i hope this could at least smoothen out the rough parts. if i still can't get it off i'll try wet sanding then, and if i still can't smoothen it up i guess i have no choice but to have it done outside

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    buy MarkV citrasolv. citrus based solvent for asphalt removal.

sa mother's HQ san juan meron. around 600 pesos

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Just kerosene will do, works for me.. I just put it in a spraying bottle and spray it in the affected area... you will see the asphalt drifting together with the kerosene.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TholitzReloaded View Post
    Just kerosene will do, works for me.. I just put it in a spraying bottle and spray it in the affected area... you will see the asphalt drifting together with the kerosene.
    i agree. kerosone in a spray bottle. i even spray my entire car before washing it then i'll apply wax. kso lng you need to do it by sections para ndi matagal nakababad yng kerosone sa body ng auto. it is a very effective dirt stripper pa.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Yup, Kerosene nga ang pinakacheapest and isa sa pinakaok na pang tanggal ng asphalt. nadidisolve kasi nito ang asphalt. Ito din and hinahalo sa rubbing compund dati pag nagpopolished sa painted area.

10. Join Date
    May 2008
    light spray with WD40 let it soak for a few minutes then wipe off. paint looks like its been waxed and repels crud for a few days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Effective remover of asphalt smudge?