New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Seems people also have this misconception that the battery needs to be replaced every 2-3 years like an ICE? My Japanese professor in 2013 still daily drove a first generation Prius. He says the (main) battery is still stock from 1998.
    well, using simple calculation and bold assumptions,

if toyota warranties its hybrid car battery to 8 years,
    and if i drive 1,000 km a month and spend 6000 bucks a month for my ICE, and i save half of that or 3000 bucks a month for gas money using the hybrid,
    that's 36,000 bucks a year x 8 years = 288,000 bucks in fuel savings in eight years.
    we can then interpolate the brake-even year, where total fuel savings equals cost or hybrid battery replacement. beyond that year, if we still own the car, it's pure profit.... until it's time to replace the hybrid battery again...

so i wonder,
    how's the sale of hybrids or EVs gonna be...?
    will it be... "newly replaced battery"... ?

i do not know what toyota phils' current battery warranty for its hybrid, is. medyo confusing si google kasi.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 27th, 2024 at 04:16 PM.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    From Toyota website:

In case you need another reason to go Hybrid Electric, all Toyota HEVs come with an 8-year* battery and 3-year** vehicle warranty. Enjoy your very own Hybrid Electric Vehicle for even longer with proper regular maintenance.

*or 200,000kms, whichever comes first

**or 100,000kms, whichever comes first

But it also says the battery is expected to last the lifetime of the car.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Tman View Post
    From Toyota website:

In case you need another reason to go Hybrid Electric, all Toyota HEVs come with an 8-year* battery and 3-year** vehicle warranty. Enjoy your very own Hybrid Electric Vehicle for even longer with proper regular maintenance.

well,
    it is common knowledge that our daily ncr driving condition falls under "severe" driving conditions.
    i wonder how that figures, in the life of the hybrid's battery?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Tman View Post
    From Toyota website:

there are some slightly used hybrids on sale in the local market... very attractive propositions, assuming one's calculations are correct...
    i wonder, is there something wrong with these cars, or are the owners selling them for other reasons that we should not be worried about?

tongue in cheek,
    "when the car dies, it's lifetime is over."
    also, while cars in the more affluent countries are junked after, say, ten years, cars in our country are driven to the proverbial ground.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well, using simple calculation and bold assumptions,

if toyota warranties its hybrid car battery to 8 years,
    and if i drive 1,000 km a month and spend 6000 bucks a month for my ICE, and i save half of that or 3000 bucks a month for gas money using the hybrid,
    that's 36,000 bucks a year x 8 years = 288,000 bucks in fuel savings in eight years.
    we can then interpolate the brake-even year, where total fuel savings equals cost or hybrid battery replacement. beyond that year, if we still own the car, it's pure profit.... until it's time to replace the hybrid battery again...

so i wonder,
    how's the sale of hybrids or EVs gonna be...?
    will it be... "newly replaced battery"... ?

i do not know what toyota phils' current battery warranty for its hybrid, is. medyo confusing si google kasi.
    Well if budget is tight you can theoretically replace the battery piecemeal thru DIY/trusted mechanic

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i'm a bit wary of having to have to piecemeal-replace the hybrid battery... my main reason is that there don't seem to be enough experience lying around for such a job...
    if the replacement goes palpaQ, the least that can happen is the car will stop. the worst that can happen, is the vehicle catches fire or explodes.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    So if your car has a 5-year warranty ... does it mean you replace the car every 5 years? ... or if your phone has a warranty ... you replace every year? ... weird to equate warranty with replacement of a part ...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    So if your car has a 5-year warranty ... does it mean you replace the car every 5 years? ... or if your phone has a warranty ... you replace every year? ... weird to equate warranty with replacement of a part ...
    i wouldn't. and neither will the majority, probably. pagawa ko na lang when the need arises. the cost of repair is probably much less than the cost of the entire car.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    The talyer who will work hard to familiarize the EV car will soon reap the profits.
    Hopefully, more will soon familiarize this technology.
    So that come 8 yrs, hopefully each talyer in the kalye are now capable of troubleshooting your EV battery.

Sa US, some will just have to replace the battery plate to save more on battery cost.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by carxynogen View Post
    The talyer who will work hard to familiarize the EV car will soon reap the profits.
    Hopefully, more will soon familiarize this technology.
    So that come 8 yrs, hopefully each talyer in the kalye are now capable of troubleshooting your EV battery.

Sa US, some will just have to replace the battery plate to save more on battery cost.
    i envision the day these batteries will easily be replaced, just like our current lead-acid batteries are, today.
    or that they may last much longer than current.
    but i am wary of the price.
    i hope there will be a brakethrough in the near future.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast