New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I like the Grandis also, and am considering one when I get back sa Pinas. I've read that MIT has streamlined there Quality Control since the much publicized recalls, so I think you wouldn't have to worry much about MIT marque. Its a sleek looking auto, better than the Kia Sedona IMO, unique and not so many people own it. Plus the MIVEC engine.

You can look around sa net also on the reviews of owners from other countries kung wala ka masyadong makuhang inputs form local owners, I've read some and they were encouraging.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Ride height is ok. Though it does scrape pavement in very steep inclines so ingat lang talaga. Suspension does have a tendency to bottom out when loaded, pero nothing really to complain about. When side by side with a sedan, just compare the height of your side mirrors so you can see the difference in ride height.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Plus side of the Grandis is that it comes with many colors. (may purple, sky blue at saka lime green pa nga e, insane colour variety). You have eight colors to choose from that's why it's quite hard to choose a specific one (although I heard Japan has complete lineup of 10 colors, crazy!)

I remember me and my dad attended a test drive and I can say that it was quite good. Neat 2.4 MIVEC with manual mode (ngunit INVECS II lang cya and not III) and power is quite good. ABS is already four channel I think with an EBD plus it has a good turning radius. Best feature probably goes to the 10 inch optional DVD entertainment system (which wasn't available two years ago). Another plus would be its dashboard: very simple yet very well laid out and the aircon dials look fun and aesthetic too. Too bad though that they removed ETACS feature in the Thai-made models. It would make for a nice security feature.

Another downside though is resale value once you plan to sell this vehicle after 5-10 years or so. Unfortunately though, resale value of Mitsu ain't that high while the Japan Big 3 (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) still sell higher. Nevertheless, I haven't heard any quality problems for the Grandis (none so far from Japan or even from the Thai plant) so you're safe

Good vehicle at its price and if you want one, go get it.

However, if you're a tech geek for features and want something more upscale but have extra money to burn, then I recommend the ACR50L from Toyota.

It has a revised engine which should be a tad quicker than the Grandis (if speed is your thing). ABS is also four channel and since it's a 100% brand-new car (only 8-9 months launched in Japan and Taiwan and only 3 months in RP), it's purely "fresh" so you can get the most out of it.

We had a test drive of beige model of this with me and my dad on the wheel and here's what I can say.

Very accomodating cabin. Wonderful steering wheel design (while Grandis steering looks weird but space-aged funky), steering wheel audio controls, dual zone auto climate control system (front) with Plasmacluster ion filtration system (keeps the air clean and free of germs, bacteria so the air doesn't feel stuffy with dirt), manual rear A/C single zone, second row captain seats with footrest (but not too useful for our model), lots of storage compartments, cupholders galore, center console stack that moves forward/backward. And the tech geek features......

Smart Entry system with Push Start/Stop Button (best tech feature), power sliding dual side doors and power tailgate door, six speaker audio system (two on the front sides, two near the second row seats and the last two above the driver and front passenger), WMA/MP3 compatible audio system with single in-dash CD player, turn signal mirrors, LED rear tailights with LED third brake lamp, HID Xenon front headlamps with AFS function, front foglamps, rear foglamps and SONAR (front and back sensors).

Because of the above mentioned and to avoid having the numerous color choices, I'm sticking with the new Previa and I'm persuading my dad to buy one for me next year. I'm also hoping that after 12 months, the prices would AT LEAST drop by 15% (wishful thinking). At least that's what I'm eyeing for.

As for you the choice is yours. Get what ever satisfies your needs and wants most.

Your free to choose between those two vehicles. However a note of caution, avoid the Chrysler Town and Country. That vehicle will give you less relief and more headaches.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    ganda ng overall porma ng Grandis, seems like the Mazda6's equivalent in the MPV/Minivan segment.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Resale value--yes, bakit nga ba mababa ang resale value ng Mitsubishi sa Pinas vs. Toyota or Honda? I saw a 2004 Previa at the EDSA Plaza used car parking lot selling for PHP 1.3M. That Previa was probably purchased for PHP 1.6M.

I asked a Mazda dealer about the Mazda MPV but the dealer said they knew of no plans to bring this model in. Too bad, the reviews were good pa naman.

Any of you guys know about plans to bring in the Toyota Picnic or Honda Stream or similar MPVs? Saw these in Singapore.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Grandis info: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.ph/...ndis/index.htm

The Grandis is more of a 5+2 (though the +2 seats are not as dreadful as in some popular SUV's), the Previa is a full-on people carrier. The Grandis doesn't even want to be associated with the word 'minivan' (I guess that's what the Space Gear is still here for) and uses conventional rear doors instead of sliders.

Take your pick. They are very different vehicles.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ibang class na yung Previa, masyado ng mahal...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Previa is too much.

The Grandis is very nice, but if you're on a budget, I echo alwayz_yummy, okay din ang Spacegear. It's on a similar platform to the Starex, but it still has a Mitsubishi 2.4 engine. Gas consumption is similar to the Grandis, and interior space and ride comfort are impressive.

Of course, it looks old-fashioned, comparatively, but it ain't at all bad.

BTW: ecport: what engine is in the Carnival?

And what of those rumors about Columbia? Is Kia really looking at transferring to the local Hyundai distributors? That'd be a plus. In Tessa Salazar's recent article on budget superminis, I was surprised to see that Hyundai parts were somewhat cheaper than Kia parts (quoted form the dealers, I suppose) for the exact same engine.

Bad trip lang ako sa Columbia because they stopped carrying the parts I need for the 626...

niky, anu mahirap na parts mo for 626? sana di ganun for the lantis/astina....hmmm--> OT

grandis is the sensible choice..pero new previa is soo good at almost 2x the price...not much ung worth, kasi lang sa electronic gadgets nito(na baka dadating ng panahon, yang addtional gadgets na yan sakit sa ulo...remember conveniece is proportional sa costs....)

good option din and good used late model previa, ung pinalitan ng new model...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    My 2001 Carnival has 2.9 Liter Turbo Diesel engine. The new Sedona as posted has a 2.9 CRDi, so it should be more powerful. I recently test drove a Starex with a CRDi engine, it is much faster and more responsive than the older Starex. Ridwise and handling, the Carnival felt more like a car than the truck like Starex.

Columbia actually auctioned off its spare parts inventory. I know this because I now get my Kia parts from a direct importer. This importer even participated in Columbia's auction! The reason Kia dealers are so stingy daw with warranty claims is that Columbia is unable to support them owing to Columbia's huge debt to Kia Motors. So since may utang daw ang distributor, hindi ma-support ang mga warranty claims ng dealers. It actually took Wheels almost 3 months to fix my engine, and they did a lousy job. The van also had a faulty injector. At one time, the smoke coming out was so thick, I had to use a broom to sweep the soot! No kidding. And this was after less than 2 years of use.

My friend who works for HMC Philippines told me Kia Motors offered the distributorship to their company. HMC has not taken this up. So no matter how improved the new Sedona is, I will not purchase one because of the three things---the parts just break down much faster (shocks, alternator, pressure hose, odometer, air-con, etc.) than Japanese cars, poor after sales support and Columbia motors. Mind you, I only have my van serviced at Wheels and Delta Motors, both accredited Kia service centers. Somehow, quality has some ways to go for Korean cars.

I have seen the Previa. My wife and kids really liked it, especially with the moveable, 2nd row seats. Parang lazy-boy. Controls, features, ergonomics are good, but at PHP 2M, it is just too expensive for me.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Mitsubishi Grandis