New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    madami kasing consideration ang ganyan... security, reliability... pero if you know kung ano ang purpose at na satisfy naman. . eh di oks na ... pero kung medyo highly confidential ang mga data na mag ta travel sa network.. better secure it .... ;-) ...

its just me ...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    need4speed and others - a question about security.

my home is set up with 802.11g wifi. i currently have enabled the following security features:

1. MAC filtering
    2. WEP encryption (i heard this sucks)
    3. non-broadcasting SSID

should i be doing anything else to increase security? yes, i know that if i want real security, i should use a wired network...but wireless is too damn convenient

(PK, sorry for the thread hijack, but i think you'd probably want to know the answer too) ;)

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    also been using a wifi 11g setup for my home network for the past 7 months now...

it will help if you use WPA encryption since this is much more secure... it would also be wise to configure your access point to allow only certain MAC addresses to connect to it but i think you are already doing this (MAC filtering)... my access point logs a lot of intrusion attempts everyday but they all fail to connect to the network...

i'm currently using 2 wired PCs and five wireless devices (2 laptops, 1 tablet PC, 2 PDAs) in my home wifi and they currently share one cable internet connection... i also use this network for some LAN gaming, file and printer sharing between the devices...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    turk182 is correct. MAC Filtering should be enabled. This will only allow the computers you want to access your network and no other.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for the answers guys...i just found out that for some reason my xbox live wireless adapter doesn't work if i don't broadcast my SSID...grrr

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by M54 Powered

(PK, sorry for the thread hijack, but i think you'd probably want to know the answer too) ;)

Ey no prob bro! Basta ikaw ;)

Anyways, keep em comments coming!

Im still knocking heads with our Network Security department. Our budget for this one is basically unlimited.

Diba yung MAC is like the serial number for the lan card? Sorry, it's been quite a while since i tinkered with PCs and Networks for a living

BTW, what are the 'real world' range figures for the WAP11? walls and all?
    Last edited by pajerokid; July 19th, 2004 at 08:44 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Finally got through Network Security! Looks like im going for the Wireless-G AP instead

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Hi PK,

If you have an unlimited budget and cost is not a major concern, I may I suggest a enterprise grade Access Point which is Cisco 1200 series or the AP1231, it's supports 802.11b/g.

I've deployed dozens of these and I had a good experience and less headache in terms of support. More robust and stable than SOHO type APs.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for the reco jds actually im just supposed to install the hotspot in a conference room so medyo overkill yung magdeploy ng cisco solution.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by pajerokid
    Ey no prob bro! Basta ikaw ;)

Anyways, keep em comments coming!

Im still knocking heads with our Network Security department. Our budget for this one is basically unlimited.

Diba yung MAC is like the serial number for the lan card? Sorry, it's been quite a while since i tinkered with PCs and Networks for a living

BTW, what are the 'real world' range figures for the WAP11? walls and all?

MAC-addresses
    Media Access Control layer addresses
    48-bit address that is hardwired into the netcard

DHCP, among others, use this to identify a machine requesting a certain IP-address within its lease duration

in short... yes it's like a serial number for LAN / WiFi / etc. Although, in some cases you can have a similar MAC Address with another similar device.

"Real World" range is dependent on your environment. These SOHO (small office / home office) products were designed with the American Home/Office in mind. Meaning dry wall, wood and no to minimal cement or metal in most cases. Thus signal strength is stronger. If your house/office has thick "buhos" cement then range would decrease significantly. In this case, if you have a pretty huge area to cover, commercial grade AP's are required.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wireless LAN considerations (Saklolo Deux)