New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Another neat stuff: mousing over a Taskbar icon:

The Task Manager still looks the same with additional functions. .99GB? Hmmmm. Oink oink?

MSConfig is now the System Configuration applet:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 14th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Other observations:

Vista now treats DVD+/-RW discs like giant floppies. I can copy to and delete files from the disc at will. Also, copying to cd-r/rw and dvdr/rw is also now in realtime. No more copying files to a temp directory first and then burning to disc. When I want to copy, it copies right there.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    *Jun
    mukhang solb na solb ka na ser sa Vista ah... kung nagamit mo yung Beta 2 dati... you will curse the software to death!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    *Jun
    mukhang solb na solb ka na ser sa Vista ah... kung nagamit mo yung Beta 2 dati... you will curse the software to death!
    Well, that's me. I post anything worth noting.....

So far, it seems Windows Media Center is the weakest or rather, prone to lockup. So, there's work that needs to be done with Vista. I missed those other buggy betas. So, Day 1 with Vista started with RC1 for me and it's been great so far..... Now, if only MS would issue more Product Keys.....

Also, Vista Movie Maker seems more robust than the XP versions. The XP versions have had a penchant for being sluggish and prone to locking up. Vista MM seems to be a big improvement. Of course, it's just on my pc. Others may not be so lucky....
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 14th, 2006 at 11:52 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    For those who are trying out Vista RC1 and need a Product Activation Key, MS has started giving them out. I just got done activating mine. So now, it's good until June of next year.....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The bundled Chess Titans game is something else. When playing a game at full-screened 3-D windowed, the game takes up 321mb of ram! Moving back and forth between full windowed and small windowed made the game eat up more and more ram until it reached 920mb of ram at which point I quit the app. Chess Titans obviously doesn't release any ram when resized. It's something to note down although the game is pretty good.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The game Blitzkrieg also installed and worked great. Another older game, Dungeon Keeper 2, also installed fine. But it's limited to 800x600 without patch v1.7. When I applied the patch, the game refused to run. I had to uninstall and reinstall the game and play at 800x800.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i think bloatware na naman ang Vista... malaki na ang hard disk space requirement because of so many files installed... marami ding di optimized na programs kaya matakaw sa memory... tsk tsk

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    and this:
    may i ask, what exactly is happening here?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    i think bloatware na naman ang Vista... malaki na ang hard disk space requirement because of so many files installed... marami ding di optimized na programs kaya matakaw sa memory... tsk tsk
    Well, that's the whole idea of RC1. It's still a memory hog and needs optimization. But, it runs fine at full speed and it's more than usable so long as the ram can last. It's more than usable for me and is my primary OS although I still have to go back to XP Home if I want to record tv shows and game.

Still, Vista RC1 is in much better shape than I expected. It certainly is in much better shape than when I first bought OSX (retail) back in spring of 2001. Anyone who bought OSX back in 2001 would agree with me that it was as sloooow as molasses in winter.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 18th, 2006 at 12:58 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Windows Vista RC1