New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Google Earth works fine as does all the DVD's I've played via Media Player.

I also want to add that with just Vista RC1 Ultimate and it's related services running plus Task Manager and every effect on, the ram used up is 559mb. 1gb is a definite must to be in the comfort zone. I can imagine 512mb of ram will force Vista RC1 to page out to the hard drive along with its characteristic slowdown.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 11th, 2006 at 12:29 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Now trying out some games. First one up is Combat Flight Simulator 2 from 2000 which runs great on both full-screen and windowed mode:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 11th, 2006 at 01:41 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I was able to install my copy also, I actually left it when it was copying files, went to 7-11 and by the time I got home it was installed.

System specs:
    Athlon XP 2500+
    768mb DDR 400
    40gb 5400rpm primary (xp)
    200gb 7200rpm secondary (vista)
    6600gt 128mb video card

So far it seems quite good. I havent had any crashes so far, if only I can find a decent program to be able to use my tv tuner i'd switch to vista.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_d View Post
    So far it seems quite good. I havent had any crashes so far, if only I can find a decent program to be able to use my tv tuner i'd switch to vista.
    Same here. I don't have drivers yet for the ViVo part of my X800XL.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Oh yes.... Where and how do we get a product key for this thing (Vista RC1)?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you were an early participant of the CPP you will have a product key. If you are a MSDN subscriber or Technet subscriber meron ka rin product key...

Other than that go and register with Microsoft so that you get a Passport account then they will e-mail the product key.

Gud luck at sana di ka abutan ng activation date!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    If you were an early participant of the CPP you will have a product key. If you are a MSDN subscriber or Technet subscriber meron ka rin product key...

Other than that go and register with Microsoft so that you get a Passport account then they will e-mail the product key.

Gud luck at sana di ka abutan ng activation date!
    I registered. So hopefully, I'll get a product key soon. Siince this is on a spare hard drive, I can always disconnect it and reconnect my 2 main hard drives (with XP Home SP2).

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Before I take this hard drive off and reconnect my 2 regular hard drives and XP Home SP2, some more observations.....

1. SB Audigy 2 Value driver is still incomplete.

2. There's no way to turn off the Line In (which is hooked up to my Direct TV).

3. The majority of software I installed have no issues.

4. Playing DVD's via Media Center Edition is still buggy. But WMP 11 works great.

For those who wants a full-size pic of my desktop, here (dialup beware: 236kb, 2048 x 768 jpeg)
    http://members.cox.net/junakapekto/V...202048x768.jpg

This is my first evaluation of a MS OS. I missed out on the issues from previous evaluation versions. Overall, I'm pleased. Most issues seem minor and should be resolved with the retail release. If you have the goods to play, I recommend trying it out.

What kept me from making it my primary OS right now:

1. Lack of drivers for the ViVo of my ASUS X800XL - I can't record tv shows from DirectTV without them
    2. SB Audigy 2 Value drivers lacking a bit - my mighty Z-2300's sounds oddly very teeny.
    3. Vista DVD Maker still needs work, as does Media Center Edition player. But, once those are fixed, it's going to be sweet.

For most other people, This Vista RC1 should be good enough to be the primary OS.

Me, I know I'll be buying Vista Ultimate when it's released.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 12th, 2006 at 03:33 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I decided to hook up the 40gb Maxtor hard drive with Vista RC1 to the secondary ide port with my dvd writer as master and the Maxtor as slave. I thought the Maxtor might have problems booting if it's not set as a master drive. But, apparently not......

I have to set the boot drive priority in the bios everytime I want to boot up to either XP Home SP2 or Vista RC1. But, at least I can dual boot either one without opening up the pc or risk my primary OS which is still XP Home SP2.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Windows Media Center seems to have fixed itself......

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Windows Vista RC1