The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Patricia Evangelista said it best with this awesome award winning essay:

BLONDE AND BLUE EYES
    by Patricia Evangelista

When I was little, I wanted what many Filipino children all over the
    country wanted. I wanted to be blond, blue-eyed, and white.

I thought -- if I just wished hard enough and was good enough, I'd
    wake up on Christmas morning with snow outside my window and
    freckles across my nose!

More than four centuries under western domination does that to you.
    I have sixteen cousins. In a couple of years, there will just be
    five of us left in the Philippines, the rest will have gone abroad
    in search of "greener pastures." It's not just an anomaly; it's a
    trend; the Filipino diaspora. Today, about eight million Filipinos
    are scattered around the world.

There are those who disapprove of Filipinos who choose to leave. I
    used to. Maybe this is a natural reaction of someone who was left
    behind, smiling for family pictures that get emptier with each
    succeeding year. Desertion, I called it. My country is a land that
    has perpetually fought for the freedom to be itself. Our heroes
    offered their lives in the struggle against the Spanish, the
    Japanese, the Americans. To pack up and deny that identity is
    tantamount to spitting on that sacrifice.

Or is it? I don't think so, not anymore. True, there is no denying
    this phenomenon, aided by the fact that what was once the other side
    of the world is now a twelve-hour plane ride away. But this is a
    borderless world, where no individual can claim to be purely from
    where he is now. My mother is of Chinese descent, my father is a
    quarter Spanish, and I call myself a pure Filipino-a hybrid of sorts
    resulting from a combination of cultures.

Each square mile anywhere in the world is made up of people of
    different ethnicities, with national identities and individual
    personalities. Because of this, each square mile is already a
    microcosm of the world. In as much as this blessed spot that is
    England is the world, so is my neighbourhood back home.

Seen this way, the Filipino Diaspora, or any sort of dispersal of
    populations, is not as ominous as so many claim. It must be
    understood. I come from a Third World country, one that is still
    trying mightily to get back on its feet after many years of
    dictatorship. But we shall make it, given more time. Especially now,
    when we have thousands of eager young minds who graduate from
    college every year. They have skills. They need jobs. We cannot
    absorb them all.

A borderless world presents a bigger opportunity, yet one that is
    not so much abandonment but an extension of identity. Even as we
    take, we give back. We are the 40,000 skilled nurses who support the
    UK's National Health Service. We are the quarter-of-a-million
    seafarers manning most of the world's commercial ships. We are your
    software engineers in Ireland, your construction workers in the
    Middle East, your doctors and caregivers in North America, and, your
    musical artists in London's West End.

Nationalism isn't bound by time or place. People from other nations
    migrate to create new nations, yet still remain essentially who they
    are. British society is itself an example of a multi-cultural
    nation, a melting pot of races, religions, arts and cultures. We
    are, indeed, in a borderless world!

Leaving sometimes isn't a matter of choice. It's coming back that
    is. The Hobbits of the shire travelled all over Middle-Earth, but
    they chose to come home, richer in every sense of the word. We call
    people like these balikbayans or the 'returnees' -- those who
    followed their dream, yet choose to return and share their mature
    talents and good fortune.

In a few years, I may take advantage of whatever opportunities come
    my way. But I will come home. A borderless world doesn't preclude
    the idea of a home. I'm a Filipino, and I'll always be one. It isn't
    about just geography; it isn't about boundaries. It's about giving
    back to the country that shaped me.

And that's going to be more important to me than seeing snow outside
    my windows on a bright Christmas morning.

Mabuhay and Thank you.
    Source/link: http://archives.free.net.ph/message/...908d66.en.html
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 7th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Our rich heritage and culture!

2801:clap:
    baka may mag-disagree in the culture bet. kasi daw galing sa kung saan saang bansa ang "culture" natin eh. Kagaya daw ng america at canada.

anyway kahit gaya gaya tayo i am still pround being a FILIPINO!!!

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    What makes me proud to be a Filipino? Ang pango kong ilong saka ang kulay kong kayumanggi!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what makes me proud as pinoy?

siguro isa na duon ang maging isa sa nagumpisa ng tsikot.com at maging daan ito upang mapagbuklod ang mga ilan sa mga kababayan natin here and abroad. Mabigyan ng saya ang ating mga kababayan at maging lugar upang makapagpalitan ng kurokuro at ideya.

ang magamit ang website na ito sa mga proyektong makakatulong kahit papano sa mga nangangailangan.

at maging daan ang tsikot.com upang pagbuklurin ang mga pangarap ng mga taong gustong paunlarin ang industriya ng automotive dito sa Pilipinas.

Sa ganitong paraan, I am a very proud Pinoy and a Tsikoteer as well

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusblutrooper View Post
    SHAME ON THEM.
    kakainis yung mga balikbayan na feeling iba sila. come on guys/gals kahit anong galing nyong mag ingles kahit anong american brand ang isuot nyo at kahit may dollars kayo... DNA nyo PINOY pa rin... stop pretending mas masarap ang maging pinoy... We are resillient but not arrogant...We work hard for our family.

and dito sa pinas kahit di mayaman kaya kumuha ng katulong. :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Our ability to laugh at our mistakes...But frankly speaking, with the current group of multinationals that I am working with, Di hamak na nag excel ang mga pinoy plus talagang preferred tayo ng mga employers compared to other nationalities.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    our beautiful women...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    our beautiful women...
    wushu! ano ngang lahi nung mga co workers mo? :hihihi:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Our National Hero Dr. Jose Rizal and Gen. Gregorio Del Pilar makes me proud to be a Filipino
    Last edited by Zeus; November 3rd, 2007 at 09:07 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    http://www.thepoc.net/commentaries/8...ino-pride.html

It has finally dawned unto me that there is something clearly erroneous with the circumstances in which Filipinos believe they should be proud about.

Arnel Pineda, Charice Pempengco, and boxing champion Manny Pacquiao, these are the few world-renowned Filipinos who have instigated a sense of so-called “Pinoy Pride” among the attention-seeking Filipinos who, after realizing within themselves that as a state, we have achieved practically nothing, would bask in to the achievements of the individuals mentioned in order to feel some sense of self-worth. However, I do not blame people like Pacquaio for precipitating a false sense of pride among Filipinos. After all, it’s not their fault their “kababayans” have a distorted culture.

Do we not remember that too much of anything is bad?

When Filipinos showcase this tremendous pride, they would do it excessively, as if a single person like Charice Pempengco can save the entire Philippines from its mayhem of unfortunate events. They would completely delude themselves that the Filipino race is superior among others without actually taking into consideration that other countries like the United States of America also have their fair share of talented people without actually rubbing it in to the international community’s face. I find it rather gloomy when I come across Filipinos with unwarranted pride, for I believe the reason behind this is that we no longer have other more important things we can be proud of, hence, people mentioned earlier in this article serve as the only excuse we have for having “Pinoy pride”.

So great is this pride that when people like Claire Danes dare say something about the unruly condition of the country and how dirty our surroundings are, we would bash them incessantly, forcing them to make a public apology. It’s hilarious at times since majority of these Filipinos who bash other people for stating the truth would say something bad against the person, not understanding that in order to come up with a good rebuttal, the ideas of the person should be attacked, not his or her personality. Then again, it is hard to defend why our country’s environment is dirty anyway. Apparently, it doesn’t occur to them that in order for people to stop saying negative things about our country, we should be very wary of our actions. Instead of doing that, we would just further humiliate ourselves in our country’s defense by making ourselves look low by making sorry excuses for our country’s downfall. Why don’t we do something in order for people like Claire Danes not to be able to say something horrible about us? We can do extreme measures like keep our environment clean and instil a sense of discipline among ourselves as to not make our country look like a dumpsite. Without a doubt, too much pride does harm us in so many ways we can’t imagine.

Another thing I realized about this inappropriate pride Filipinos have is that our people have very low self-esteem. It’s actually contrary to what I stated before but then I acknowledged the fact that if we do really have something going on for us, we wouldn’t bank on popular figures like Pacquiao and Pempengco. We would just let the whole world realize how great we are as a nation not by exploiting such personalities but by just keeping mum about it and letting it speak for itself. Furthermore, if the criticisms we received are untrue like what most Filipinos claim them to be, they wouldn’t be enraged by it right? The saying “The truth hurts” really is applicable to the uproar created by Filipinos when facing criticisms. That is probably the reason why we have never progressed as a country. We can’t take constructive criticisms because it hurts our ego despite the fact that we really need to change our wrong practices which consume us day by day.

I do not know if Filipinos will actually agree with me that as a nation, an effort should be done not just by one citizen but by majority of the population. No, I am not talking about another people power protest for I honestly think it’s irrelevant.

Our well-known Pinoy pride has resulted to us not working hard enough to be recognized in our own ways. We love fence-sitting on other people’s achievements because it is only through that that we feel important and appreciated. This pride is present in the minds of Filipinos due to the reason that we feel so small compared to other countries and so we hide behind this facade and continue to praise people like Pacquiao endlessly as if not doing so makes one disloyal to the country.

And so, I’ve arrived at a conclusion on why our people take so much pride in individuals who are recognized for their talents and skills. I’ve figured that some of our countrymen are too lazy to actually make an effort so that they can be praised themselves. I’ve got to admit that it is hard to make a collective action but if we will forever settle for the false and pretentious Pinoy pride we have, we are not going to progress. It should always take something more and bigger than a Charice Pempengco and Manny Pacquiao for us to be proud to be Filipino lest we want to be trapped in our wrong mentality for eternity.

Another disturbing attitude is that we attribute being Filipino to the success of people like Pacquiao as if we are the best race that ever walked this planet. Statements like “Pinoy yan kaya magaling” brings a feeling of discomfort to me. Instead of saying that that person worked hard to be where he or she is, being a Filipino is used to make ourselves feel important, superior, and righteous.

The main reason why I have never uttered the words “I’m proud to be a Filipino” is because I have high expectations and I do not like settling for mediocre thoughts like “We have Charice Pempengco”, “The Banawe Rice Terraces is one of the wonders of the world”, and “We really have cute tarsiers in our country” as sole reasons why I should be proud to be Filipino. Evidently, relying on such trivial achievements is mediocre and pathetic since there are bigger things we should focus on like improving the economy and living conditions of the Filipinos.

The time I will be proud to be Filipino is when everyone has done their part to change all aspects that needs to be changed. It is when the elite are doing their part in educating the masses because it is their responsibility. It is when we do not have an idiot for a president. It is when our surroundings are clean. And it is when our Human Development Index has increased (I do not believe that the GNP is the best gauge for development). From what I can see, it would ostensibly take a painstakingly long time given our track record.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 7th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
What makes you proud being a Filipino??