New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    as far as i can remember i started really studying at around grade 5 -6, all the way up to 3rd year college. after that i think i sorta burned out. buti na lang my grades were enough to get me into a good university(or so i thought B)

personally kasi, me pagka nerdy talaga ako. paborito kong basahin dati ung encyclopedia and nature books. which would explain why i'm relatively good at science, and truly suck at math B)

not really sure how to motivate kids; tingin ko parang they will come a time na medyo magmamature na ung isip niya and start taking his studies seriously. if i were you(i don't have kids btw), siguro sabihin ko na lang na there's no way you're gonna get out of studying, so might as well do it as quickly and as efficiently as possible, para mas may time ka na for other stuff.

that being said...academic excellence is by no means a guarantee of success, money-wise. mas importante imho ung people skills and street smarts. while the guys who are good academically get high paying jobs, guess who's the one hiring them? B)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i started studying at age of 4... dapat nursery pero na accelerate ako sa kinder, so by 6 grade 1 ako... by 16 college na ako... by 20 i am done already... na-delay pa ako sa college... i think lugi yun anak kung nag-aral sila ng maaga... maaga sila mag-mature pero parang nagulangan ka sa playtime... hehehehe pero i started reading books na books at age 3 ata or 4... basta alam ko yun tinuro ng high school eh alam ko na nun grade 2 palang ako... so nun grade 4 ako di na ako nag-aaral... pero dahil dun nagkaroon ako ng hindi mataas na grade nun college... pero okay lang... hehehehe

dont force them to study, show them that studying is fun, and let them do what they want but still dapat you watch them without them knowing to build their self-confidence...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    oh... pahabol... for me kasi history, management, finance, and marketing is not studying... hehehehe... kahit european diplomacy and especially math... enjoy kasi ako...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sir CVT, agree rin po ako kay sir roninblade; have a talk with him/them.

naalala ko nung grade 1 ako, i was fortunate enough to have a teacher who noticed that, while i consistently failed written exams, i did very well with recitation/oral exams. she then told ma that she suspected na me diperensya ung mata ko. laking pasalamat ko kay mrs. ramos B)

dont get me wrong sir: point ko lang is you might as well get the answers straight from the horses' mouth, or from the guys feeding the horse B)

Here are some thoughts:

"The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do. It is foreordained, and he only holds the key to his own secret."

Give him time. Explain to him the intrinsic values and the importance of studying and learning. I would do away with rewards because it might backfire in the end. The child has natural drive to learn.

In guiding him with his lessons or helping him with his assignments, it's always fun for the kid to relate his studies to practical life applications.

The sudden loss of interest should be studied. Find out if it has something to with his school, teacher, classmates.

Low grades is not a measure of a child's actions. Poor grades can be due to many factors beyond the child's control, such as a teacher's negative subjective impressions, the school's failure to account for individual differences, distracting family situations, misleading test questions, and false assumptions about what constitutes meaningful subject matter.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    tama lng edad ko sa grade level ko...valedictorian ako ng gradeschool dahil sa pressure n yung pinsan ko 2yrs ahead is salutatorian kaya medyo nerdy ako non. HS, ok lng pero hindi n ako ganon kaseryoso khit alam kong may ibubuga ako..inconsistent ako lagi..minsan mataas ang grade minsan average lng.kaksawa kasi at laging may pressure kya inenjoy ko hs life, naging mas palakaibigan ko, ntutong makitungo sa ibatibang tao, mas nadevelope talents ko dahil lesser time to study kaya nfocus on non-curricular activities..college ganon din....pagdating sa mga basic subjects average lng..bagsak p nga minsan...sa mga major subjects like design lang ako nagfofocus kasi enjoy ako dahil puro drwing.then 2nd yr nagapprentice n ako kay natutuong makihalubilo sa mga professionals sa field namin, whereas yung mga dean'slister namin eh tutok sa pagaaral... so in a way mas nadevelope "personality" at "confidence" ko..which i think are the most important than being "intelligent".
    panganay ko 4yrs old p lang, pero di ko sya pepressurin n maging honor, as long as na average sya, but il focus more in building his "personality", "confidence" at "attitude"......mas gus2 ko syang maging mas "madiskarte" anu man ang pasukan nyang field.......marami rin akong classmates who were counting grades in hs who r now jobless...................... "cleverness" is better than "intelligence"!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I am talking with our firstborn everyday telling him of my personal experiences when I was a kid and struggling; of how important education is for him (not for us, but for himself only); that he is going to invest only 15 years of his life in school (grade school to college) but the reward is 50 years of better of quality of life for himself and his family (assuming he lives up to 70 years old)...... marami pa... baka nga nababanas na siya sa aking mga paalala.... I even asked our parents (mine and my in-laws) to talk with him..... even showed him on a couple of occasions,- kids rummaging through a pile of garbage for their daily subsistence....

Your inputs are appreciated. Promise,- I'll go through each of your suggestions and try them... I am confident that I am bound to hit on something,- so keep them coming please. Thanks again!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    pinakaimportante turuan mo pala siya ng PR and social skills... teach him/her/them to talk to people, introduce themselves, kamustahin yun tao, and ask a few questions... para dumami connections agad... hehehe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by van_wilder
    pinakaimportante turuan mo pala siya ng PR and social skills... teach him/her/them to talk to people, introduce themselves, kamustahin yun tao, and ask a few questions... para dumami connections agad... hehehe

agree bro. being successful does not lie entirely on an above average I.Q. there should be a balance between an an average I.Q. and an average E.Q.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i agree with badkuk, street smarts and people skills are more important to me than being good at academics, i started studying at age 3 and hindi naman aku honor roll but then studying was not my priority, extracurricular activities were.

id suggest enrolling your child to music (piano or guitar) pansin ku lahat ng musician friends ku (including me) were, if not math athletes, never having any problems with math subjects but of course kailangan mu siyang iguide baka kasi magbanda banda nalang ;) and also get him interested in reading books. getting your child interested in sports will definitely boost his people skills

now with regards to academics, always show your support but not too much na lagi siyang spoon fed, try to teach him a little independence and to be resourceful din, play educational games with him, like scrabble, guessing word games etc. dapat balance siya di lang puro academics or extracurricular

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
What Age/Level Did You Really Start Studying? How to Encourage Your Kid To Study?