New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    '
    Hence my repeated annoyance with threads or post that says "Pinoy yan" when it comes to foreigners who made it big tapos may ounce of Filipino blood lang aankinin na (Nicole of Pussycat Dolls, that American Idol Hawaiian girl, etc), unfounded claims like Flores (florescent light)... Everest climbers, BIG FRIGGIN DEAL!?
    Rob Schneider, Allan Pineda, Dave Bautista, Silicon Valley guy(forgot his name) are all proud to have roots from the Philippines, i think its only right that we embrace them with arms wide open since they give the Philippines a good name. Ditto for the Everest Climbers (if the white man can, so can we).

As for the others (Jasmine Trias, Tia Carrere etc.,) they are pinoys who dont want to be known as Pinoys, therefore shouldnt be known as Pinoys

Sigurado ba kayo na ang mga kano, pag nagtratrabaho sa tate ay hindi sila nagpapa banjing banjing? wala silang "pwede na to" attitude? Siguro sa mga asian countries like Japan, Singapore So. Korea, maaaring totoo ito pero sa Western Countries this do not apply 100%. Those that provide quality labor in the states are mostly immigrants (Mexicans, Eastern Europeans, Indians and of course Pinoys too).

Its difficult to compare ourselves with more progressive countries, it again boils down to plain old economics. we always tend to compare similar persons working the same jobs in different countries. No matter which way we look at it, it never is the same, the conditions are always different. One thing that could move us a nation forward is getting rid of our attitude of indifference.

I really think, slowly but surely we are finally moving forward. We just have to stay positive and instead of the usual nitpicking, why dont we just constructively criticize and suggest solutions.

well this is just my opinion. Im just tired of people putting the Pinoy down. that is all they are good at, composing opinion papers based on their non-objective thoughts on whatever ailments our society have. Have they really researched every Filipino company in the country? What are the best practices from Brazil that we turn our deaf ears to? Are we pro west only? why are we allowing china to build our railways? Is their objective to help the Filipino or to just to weigh is down further. Its disappointing, one thing is for sure for whatever short comings our race have, I am still proud to be Filipino

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laklak
    I really think, slowly but surely we are finally moving forward. We just have to stay positive and instead of the usual nitpicking, why dont we just constructively criticize and suggest solutions.

well this is just my opinion. Im just tired of people putting the Pinoy down. that is all they are good at, composing opinion papers based on their non-objective thoughts on whatever ailments our society have. Have they really researched every Filipino company in the country? What are the best practices from Brazil that we turn our deaf ears to? Are we pro west only? why are we allowing china to build our railways? Is their objective to help the Filipino or to just to weigh is down further. Its disappointing, one thing is for sure for whatever short comings our race have, I am still proud to be Filipino
    Am glad to hear that you very much proud to be Pinoy. And it is right to say that we should stop bickering and complaining and strive to building our nation.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Ang galing nga ng Pinoy , may mga kasama ako mga dating Smart at Globe mga electrician lang doon nandito ngayon as specialty profession doing my freaking job and get paid the way I get paid. Ang yayabang pa hindi naman totoong ENGINEERS. Nakuha lang sa tabi tabi ang diploma at transcript. Ang galing ng Pinoy.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang mga Kano naman sa amerika ang parang Pinoy sa Pilipinas

Bakit mas masipag si Pedro at Gadang sa Amerika kaysa nung nasa Pinas sya? Dahil si Pedro at Gadang ay hindi na di-discriminate ng sarili nyang lahi. Bakit kailangan may pleasing personality kapag nag-aaply? Hindi naman nag-aaply ng model si Pedro or Gadang. Bakit kailangan between 25-30 years old ang employee eh kaya namang gawin ni Pedro na 45 years old ang trabaho ng 25 years old? Bakit kailangan babae ang receptionist samantalang kaya namang gampanan ni Pedro ang gawaing front desk receptionist? Bakit kailangang may litraro sa Bio-Data ang aplikante, para ba mahusgasan agad ang panlabas na anyo ni Pedro at Gadang? Kung hindi, eh bakit nga requirement ang picture? Bakit kailangang single ang supervisor? Baket, may balak ba ang manager na diskartehan ang supervisor kaya ba SINGLE ang kailangan? Taena, marami kasi tayong kababayan na superficial. Wag na tayong magtaka kung bakit nagaalisan ng Pinas ang mga kababayan. Hanggat walang EQUAL OPPORTUNITY policy sa Pinas, maraming mawawalan ng trabaho pagdating ng trenta! Juskudai, 60-years old sa ibang bansa, priority pa nila sa employment. Sa palagay ko ay iyan ang kulang sa Pinas, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY regardless of age, gender, religion, ***ual orientation, marital status. atbp

pero masarap mag-retire sa Pinas

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite
    Apologies if the title has come out too harsh. Just to see if you agree or not.

This is due to an article I read in Adobo Magazine (July - Aug 06 issue).

A profile of Paolo Mercado by Cynthia Dayco:

"...For starters, on his own the Filipino can excel in any endeavour overseas, even with nothing more than a local education. But here, among his own people, he wears blinders and imposes limits on his own potential.

'We have grown numbed to a lowering of quality over the years. And this mediocrity is wearing us down,' explains Mercado.

It's the 'pwede na' attitude that pervades the very asphalt of our roads, the classrooms and even the quality of advertising. Within the agency, for example, he has noticed that no one wants to take the responsibilty for something as basic as proofreading.

Since no one wants to take charge, no one gets upset when the typographical error occurs. No one wants to lay the blame on anyone's door, so no one get's penalized for the mistake. Thus no one learns his lesson: to do a better job next time.

...He also emphasizes our need to be more open to the idea or learning from other cultures, and not just that of the First World.

'The Filipino has an inferiority complex masquarading as a superiority complex...In a sense overcompensation. 'Akala mo, hindi mo na maturuan''

So he feels that the Filipino turns a deaf ear to best practices from Brazil, or ideas from the Middle East.

'It's not xenophobia,' Mercado clarifies. 'Simply a resistance to learning. And it keeps the Filipino from shining even more.

'We have to eat come humble pie and admit that we are being left behind at an embarrassingly rapid pace, by the most unexpected of countries and sectors...Vietnam, my God. We're being left behind by Vietnam."

Mercado's interview at Adobo Magazine

...Very interesting. When I left 10 years ago it is very different from when I returned last year to aid in what way I can. I can empathize with him...

What do you think?

yes I do, sa driving na lang eh, people tend to complain like "ayaw kasi magbigayan eh" or "mga wala kasing disiplina eh" when trapped in traffic but they themselves do not follow road rules like the plain simple understanding what green and red lights mean or what those lane markings in the intersection are for or doesn't know how to use that stalk at the left hand side (on the right hand side on JDM steering wheels and cars) of the steering wheel. Katuwiran kasi "pwede naman eh". Isa pang example, I was riding with my high school teacher and a high school classmate along Sumulong in Marikina, as I stopped for the red light the two others zoomed past me and there they were at the gas station filling up. I asked them "bakit 'di kayo nag stop?" sagot nila, "Eh pwede naman eh wala naman nanghuhuli eh", i said "dapat huminto kayo" and replied "alam mo pare, in every rule there is an exception" and I said, "kung may exception, wala nang susunod diyan, kasi iisipin ng lahat, exception sila, kaya walang sumusunod eh" yang mga ganyang klaseng pag uugali, simpleng rules 'di masunod, how much more about understanding and obeying more complex rules?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess everyone needs some sense of ethics instilled into them. There are many ways to define ethics. But, I like my old man's definition which is, "doing the right thing without anyone looking and without having to be told". He's drilled that into my mind since kindergarden and it's been my guiding principle up to now.

Edit:

Other rules of thumb he's given me and which defined my life:

1. Treat people the way you'd like to be treated.

2. As a supervisor: Don't give orders you're not willing to follow yourself.

3. Have integrity. Do your job to the best of your abilities (his exact words)
    without expecting a reward. That's up to your boss to decide whether
    you deserve a reward or promotion. Hand in hand with integrity is
    accountability. If I messed up, then I take responsibility for it. That
    include mistakes made by people I'm responsible for as a supervisor.

4. Live within your means. Some essentials can't be avoided like a house,
    for example. Luxuries can wait until I can readily afford them. Also, quit
    making babies if you can't afford to feed or care for them.

Add: Maybe it isn't too obvious. But, I'm very proud of my old man because of the way he's lived his life and how he treated people.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 1st, 2006 at 05:28 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uls
    a pinoy will do good when he is in the company of world class people (like when the pinoy is abroad)
    true. "Hang out with losers, you become a loser." - Donald Trump.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laklak
    i agree, that even when there seems to be an attitude of trying to "bend the rules without breaking them", i guess its better to "offer solutions not problems" and if you can't be a part of the solution (i.e. whether active or passive), at least avoid becoming part of the problem or further complicating the issues in a negative way.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I would like to think this is not a problem that can be attributed to Filipinos in general. Or maybe I was only fortunate to have worked with people who give their best in their work, regardless of whether they are in the Philippines or on foreign land.

Nasa bawat tao lang yan (sana).

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    This is due to an article I read in Adobo Magazine (July - Aug 06 issue).

A profile of Paolo Mercado by Cynthia Dayco:

"...For starters, on his own the Filipino can excel in any endeavour overseas, even with nothing more than a local education. But here, among his own people, he wears blinders and imposes limits on his own potential.

QUOTE 1:maraming dahilan at maraming difference kci kung sa overseas trabaho mo: isa:mas medyo malaki ang palit or sweldo nila kesa sa pilipinas. kung pareho naman ang palit kagaya kung sa vietnam or mga kapareha lang natin ang currency exchange rate. siguro mas gugustuhin nila ang trabaho kung mas malaking kumpanya ang pinagta-trabahuan nila.kaya mas pinag bubuti ung trabaho nila kasa sa pilipinas kung ung pinagta-trabahuan nila ay maliit na kumpanya nga lang. isa pa:kasi sa atin, kadalasan walang promotion or kaya mabagal ang dagdag sa sahod. other thing: lack of advancement. isa pa: siguro ung mga benefits ay mas maganda-ganda kesa sa mga pinagtatrabahuan nila sa overseas. o kaya mas gusto nila ung full time job. o kaya ung mas secured sila sa mga iba. maraming reason dyan kaya sila nag a-abroad.other things:kasi, maraming pilipino merong mga attitude towards their co-workers.[/FONT] [/FONT]
    ================================================== =====

'We have grown numbed to a lowering of quality over the years. And this mediocrity is wearing us down,' explains Mercado.

QUOTE 2:depende rin kci kung gaano kamahal ung commodity na ine-export. syempre kung mas mahal nga naman, syempre mas maganda rin quality. kung mura, syempre mas low quality ung materials, not necessarily ung worksmanship. siguro naapektuhan din sa mga low wages ng workers nila, so kaya medyo ung quality medyo hindi pinagbubuti. depende rin kci ito sa mga factory owners or managers eh!. not necessarily na nagi-ging
    low quality tayo over the years. siguro mas maganda pagbutihin nila ung manufacturing sa atin. kahit mura ung commodity pagbutihin nalang ung quality.kasi kung prime quality nga naman mas matrabaho at longer ung time
    comsumption sa ginagawang commodity. stiff ang competitions sa mga ibang countries ngayon. kci, kahit na poor countries sila, pinag bubuti nila para lang maka attract ng clients. so kung minsan sina sakripisyo ung worth, basta good
    quality lang ang worksmanship.

================================================== ========

It's the 'pwede na' attitude that pervades the very asphalt of our roads, the classrooms and even the quality of advertising. Within the agency, for example, he has noticed that no one wants to take the responsibilty for something as basic as proofreading.

QUOTE 3: sa mga classrooms naman,okey lang sila kahit hindi masyadong first class ang dating. pero sana ung mga teachers or principals medyo improvise
    nila ung mga bulok na systema nila na hindi na pinapalitan mula pa noong mga
    ninuno nila.

sa mga advertising agency naman,syempre kailang talaga dyan ung pormalan na sulat. siguro kuripot masyado ung mga managers nila sa mga advertising kaya ayaw nila mag hired ng mga good writers para lang makatipid.

================================================== ===

Since no one wants to take charge, no one gets upset when the typographical error occurs. No one wants to lay the blame on anyone's door, so no one get's penalized for the mistake. Thus no one learns his lesson: to do a better job next time.

QUOTE 4: reasons, karamihan sa atin syempre hindi naman perfecto lahat
    sumulat, unless na editor ka ng news or writer ka. syempre mas experto
    sila sa mga sulatan. kaci hindi tayo mga born english speaking. so, naturally
    nakakapag english nga tayo pero, syempre unknowingly kala natin tama kung isunulat mo pero hindi nila alam na di pala tama. kinalimutan ng e check ung
    mga past tense,singular,plural. mga basics. karamihan naman sa atin pag sumulat wala ng pormalan. dapat ung agency siguro, meetingan nila ung mga
    employees nila para medyo mabigyan ng lecture. eh baka naman ung manager
    ng agency wala rin syang incentives para sa mga employees nila. syempre kung di sila mag i-improvise syempre mga employees nila hindi rin sila mag po-porsige. lead the carabao, and it will follow you. di ba?

================================================== =

...He also emphasizes our need to be more open to the idea or learning from other cultures, and not just that of the First World.

QUOTE 5: hindi ko alam anong ibig sabihin nya sa mga other cultures.
    personnal cultures wise, hindi na natin siguro dapat malaman ung sa mga
    iba.meron naman tayong sariling cultures. pero ung mga cultures na siguro, halimbawa sa pag ma-manufacturing or the right dealing/ or conducting businesses. syempre maganda siguro un,kung makakuha silang magandang idea para sa ikakabuti ng economya natin; okey siguro. dapat nagbigay sya
    ng halimbawa kung anong kultura ang tinutukoy nya. di ko alam ano ibign
    nya sabihin.

ung mga japanese business cultures, ay maganda. halimbawa nag e-exercise
    sila bago mag start ng trabaho. isa lang sa mga example sa kultura nila ito,
    marami pang iba. dapat sila mismo mag research dito, ung mga company
    managers or owners.

================================================== ==

'The Filipino has an inferiority complex masquarading as a superiority complex...In a sense overcompensation. 'Akala mo, hindi mo na maturuan''

QUOTE 6:in general ay yes or no. depende kung sinong tinuturuan mo.
    minsan pag educated ung tao, at ung nagtuturo sa iyo illeterate lang. syempre ung educated kung minsan, mataas ung pride. madalas pride ang
    pinapa-andar nila. siguro kung good approach ung nagtuturo makikinig ung
    tao,di ba?. ung workers sa mga abroad naman, kapag tinuturuan walang angal. kasi wala silang choice dahil doon sila nag dedepende sa mga kompanya
    nila. kung sa pilipinas kung ung nagtuturo medyo walang positibong ugali,
    syempre hindi mo matuturuan ung tao. ganoon lang un eh!

So he feels that the Filipino turns a deaf ear to best practices from Brazil, or ideas from the Middle East.

QUOTE 7:dapat good approach & positive attitude diyan eh! di naman siguro
    lahat, fall on deaf ears no? good approach, good results.

================================================== ======

'It's not xenophobia,' Mercado clarifies. 'Simply a resistance to learning. And it keeps the Filipino from shining even more.

QUOTE 8: minsan di mo ma-blame ung mga tao kung ayaw nila matuto. kung
    gusto nilang umasenso, then dapat mag learn sila. kung ayaw nilang umasenso
    or makakuha ng advancement or promotions, then nasa kanila un.

karamihan kci, kung trabaho, trabaho na lang. pagtapos na uwi na lang, wala
    ng paki alam, basta tapos ung walong oras nila. most walang paki-alam.

i shared my day today, and it's enough for today, & go home. karamihan ganito, unless na turuan mo sila. then again, good approach, good results.

================================================== ===

'We have to eat come humble pie and admit that we are being left behind at an embarrassingly rapid pace, by the most unexpected of countries and sectors...Vietnam, my God. We're being left behind by Vietnam."

QUOTE 9:kung sa vietnam lang naman, mas asensado ang pilipinas.education wise,english wise,economy wise,import/ export wise, wealth wise, etc...

we're not that lagging far behind vietnam, pilipins is ahead of vietnam.
    we ate our share of pies too. and we are more fuller than vietnam.

the greatest part of learning is coming from the very good root source.

my 2 cents,

Mercado's interview at Adobo Magazine

...Very interesting. When I left 10 years ago it is very different from when I returned last year to aid in what way I can. I can empathize with him...

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Are we Pinoys in Pinas too arrogant to see we could be the problem?