New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hi peeps,

We were relatively lucky, having gone through the recent monsoons with only ankle-deep water in our house, sadly our pump seems to have been submerged in flood waters.

i didn't get to see up to what level it got flooded, but i think more or less halfway up the motor itself. What complicated matters is that a leak developed on the roof, dripping water directly onto the plastic thingy on top -- i think this is where the electricals are.

We were advised by the seller not to turn it on, but he didn't tell us for how long we should let it dry out. Any tips? i know about the rice and alcohol trick, but i can't imagine how i'm supposed to apply this to our water pump.

tia

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    hi peeps,

We were relatively lucky, having gone through the recent monsoons with only ankle-deep water in our house, sadly our pump seems to have been submerged in flood waters.

i didn't get to see up to what level it got flooded, but i think more or less halfway up the motor itself. What complicated matters is that a leak developed on the roof, dripping water directly onto the plastic thingy on top -- i think this is where the electricals are.

We were advised by the seller not to turn it on, but he didn't tell us for how long we should let it dry out. Any tips? i know about the rice and alcohol trick, but i can't imagine how i'm supposed to apply this to our water pump.

tia

if you have compressed air, you can blast it dry with a blow gun. if not, dry the electrical box on top using rags or paper towel. then you can try blowing the affected area with dust off keyboard cleaner and spray with WD 40 to dispel any remaining moisture

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    These motors are drip-proof as they're usually NEMA certified.... which takes care of your second problem. :D

But if it was submerged completely, chances are that at least half of the rotor is still under water (ie. if the water didn't drain properly). DO NOT apply power.

If it's still economically viable, I'd have it overhauled immediately. Delaying this and the inside would begin to rust. You also need to apply lubrication to the shaft bearings anyway. If you don't, the motor will start squealing intolerably in a matter of days or weeks.