New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing
    Wala ring amoy (characteristic nutty smell) gaano ang VCO.
    kapag nagluto ako gamit ang VCO ayaw kumain nung mga kasambahay ko. di daw nila type amoy. most of our generation kasi ay nasanay na sa refined oil kaya di na matanggap ng sikmura yung mga healthy oils. pero mga peeps masarap gamitin ang VCO sa mga adobo. yung peanut butter na lily's nilalagyan ko rin ng VCO.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by scarab
    ...meron sa mga supermarket at mercury drug. as usual, konting ingat dahil marami daw peke na kumakalat. they label regular coconut oil as "virgin" coconut oil. on how to distinguish, i have no idea.
    dapat daw bfad approve showing the bfad #. check out nyo mga nasa malls na stalls yung mga nasa labas lang walang bfad number mga benta.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    how much ba average price nyan? like 500ml or 1 ltr..
    350 to 450 pesos for 500 ml. hehe mahirap gawing pang auto industry ito kasi mas mahal pa sa mga regular mineral oil based. but who knows baka magmura kapag malakihang produksyon na.

magandang tulong daw itong VCO sa bansa natin knowing na pinas ang magiging major supplier sa US at World. Sa US yung tropical tradition ang sikat at recommended at proudly binabanggit ng website na galing pinas. nagigising na ulit mga westerners sa coconut oil na nabahiran dahil canola and soya lobbyist sa US. napakalaking market pala kasi ng canola at soya pati na rin corn oil and US is the major supplier.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing
    mga peeps, why would you buy virgin coconut oil na priced at a premium when you can make one yourself at a very cheap cost.

This is how to make it: Get a good coconut (brown ones) na kung tawagin ay "magulang" na niyog from a palengke. These are found from the stores that sell shreded coconut meat for gata.

Ipa-shred nyo, (don't get the pre-shreded ones kasi hanap mo nga ay fresh).

Sa bahay get a cotton cloth (or clean old t-shirt). One layer lang, ilagay mo yung shreded coconut meat mo dito and balutin. Get a bowl or palangagana na maliit, pigain mo yung coconut meat (twisting motion) para tumulo ang gata. Sa mga nakakaintindi nitong process na ito, ang tawag dito ay gatain mo yung niyog - ang unang piga na unadulterated is termed "kakang gata".

Once you have collected the kakang gata, transfer this into a tall glass or if you have a "decanter" mas okay.

Decanter - ito yung pang separate ng oil sa sediments - sa mga cookery shops like the one in megamall have this- it looks like a small water can - meron protruding spout/pipe na connected sa lower portion). Sa mga chemist naman meron din glassware with a similar name. Pang -decant ng oils ito.

Anyways, let it (gata) stand for 2-4 hours, the water based materials (gata) will separate from the oil of the coconut. It will be a 2 layer liquid, Oil will be the one on top. Remove the gata portion. Avoid mixing the gata again, so if you are not using a decanter do the pouring slowly.

The oil collected is your virging coconut oil. Further filtering to remove contaminants like the shreded coconut is an option. Very cheap ano?!

For those who are skeptics, I learned this from one of the pioneers in the VCO business who hails from my same alma mater - UPLB. This procedure is true. What you're paying (premium from the ready made product) is call marketing.

Additional info, oil have about 9000 kilocalories per kilogram. Food nutritionist actually says that every gram of oil/fat gives 9 calories.

And coconut oil will have a fatty acid known as lauric acid. Eto ang pinakamalaking component nito. We (including the person who taught me the "secret" process) believe that this lauric acid is the real factor for the benefits claim. Only coconut oil have the hight lauric acid profiles. Other oils like fishoils, olive oil, canola oil, palm oil, soya oil etc will have different fatty acid profiles.

The Soya oil from the US have made a smear campaign on the coconut oil to gain Oil market way back late 80's to early 90's (remember the COCO LEVY FUND issue?). Before that time coconut oil was the number one oil if food industry in the world and Philippines was the major exporter (wala pa sa indonesia nuon). The US lobbyist were so successful in the smear campaign that is why most of you thinks that coconut oil is bad and that all oil/fat would be equal to cholesterol.

Does VCO work? IMO may be.
    mas maganda daw yung bagong pitas lang na niyog. yung nasa palengke kasi ay baka ilang araw na nilang stock.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pissword
    ang alam ko lang is isa sa pinakamagandang oil na available is the coconut oil, parang olive oil din siya almost 0% calories.
    mas better daw ito sa olive oil and has the highest lauric acid content. yang lauric acid ay one ingredients daw ng gatas ng ina na available din sa coconut oil. natutunan ko rin sa mga nabasa ko na ang olive oil ay best for salads. hindi rin daw maganda olive sa mga high heat cooking nagiging rancid din daw agad.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and finding my way in the website. Couldn't help but reply on VCO. There are a lot of websites on Extra Virgin Coconut Oil eleborating on its benefits. It is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. It is good for weight control. It is good for the digestive system. Not only it is good for cancer and hypertention, it is also used by research on AIDS/HIV patients.

It has an after taste similar to latik. It's gooky at first. Recommended is 2 tbsp./day. But you can split it to 1 tbsp in the a.m. and another in the p.m. I hope a lot will try it. It is good for your well-being and it is readily available in the market.

I take Prosource Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and it costs PHP150.00 per bottle of 250ml and available in all Mecury Drug branches. Hope this helps. ;-) -----Cyn

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cynganda
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and finding my way in the website. Couldn't help but reply on VCO. There are a lot of websites on Extra Virgin Coconut Oil eleborating on its benefits. It is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. It is good for weight control. It is good for the digestive system. Not only it is good for cancer and hypertention, it is also used by research on AIDS/HIV patients.

It has an after taste similar to latik. It's gooky at first. Recommended is 2 tbsp./day. But you can split it to 1 tbsp in the a.m. and another in the p.m. I hope a lot will try it. It is good for your well-being and it is readily available in the market.

I take Prosource Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and it costs PHP150.00 per bottle of 250ml and available in all Mecury Drug branches. Hope this helps. ;-) -----Cyn
    Prosource din gamit ko dati but now tropical tradition na. Nasa plastic bottle pa kasi ang prosource. Mas maganda daw kasi ang glass kasi wala daw chemical reaction kahit tumagal. well, the harm is too minimal naman siguro.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    another good website when it comes to health related topics.

http://www.westonaprice.org/index.html

10. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    where can you buy the tropical tradition? and how much per what size? i'd like to try that. ;-)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO)