New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That's why it's to the benefit of all for UP to commercialize or at least find some way of converting their land assets (I think only the church has more!) into a fiscal + instead of a -.

I remember when Nemenzo was running, he was pro-"UP Mall", because UP needed the money for modernization. And Nemenzo was a former "aktibista"... He recognized the need for UP to be semi-self sufficient, and relatively immune to the whims of Congress.

During our time, not so long ago, for every 14k (average yearly tuition) a UP student paid, Congress forked up over 35k for the same student. That was about on par for the tuition of many private colleges at the time... and they offered (in some courses) better facilities and better pay for the teachers.

And a lot of these iskos and iskas are not poor or needy, just check out the parking lot of any college. Marami akong kasamang well-off dyan sa College, naka-tsikot, naka-tsuper pa. I may have been the typical "Ikot" riding maong and sneakers type, but I don't fit the definition of poor, either.

Nor do all UP grads stay in the Philippines to contribute to the workforce... most of my friends and co-graduates are now in the US.

UP has tons of land. It used to own half of Basilan or Tawi-Tawi not so long ago. Those land assets could make UP a self-sufficient entity, and the money it gets (or doesn't get anymore...) from Congress could go to support the poorer state institutions.

Maybe with more money, UP could make itself relevant to the Philippines again... and once again be a center of excellence.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    palagi nasa rally..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
UP losing best brains