New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    nangkupo paktay, ano na lang natira sa peyups mga polpol na propesor, buti na lang tapos na ko dun...

The state-run University of the Philippines is losing its top-rate scientists and professors to private companies because it cannot afford to pay them higher salaries.
    read more

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's the reality...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lahat naman na naging professors natin dun are either nationalists or those who are after the prestige of teaching in peyups.they make money not from teaching but from research grants or consultancies/jobs outside the university.now if private companies are getting everyone to work full-time, now we really do have a problem!talo na nga sa facilities & equipment, outdated pa curriculum, now mawawalan na din ng top minds?haay,kawawang mga isko!to the streets ulit!makibaka! =p

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ganyan talaga, sa liit ng sweldo nila talagang mapipilitan sila mgahanap ng iba. besides, ung iba naman diyan may ibang work din. ang problema nga tulad nung sabi ni wulf na pag kelangan mag full-time na sila. syempre pipiliin nila ung sa private company kasi malaki sweldo.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Tagal nang problema yan.

Actually, even the students are not spared. Multi-national corporations offer to fund their research/theses/dissertations, with the promise of immediate and lucrative employment after graduation.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    d'bat ganyan din naman sa mga ivy league universities

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf
    lahat naman na naging professors natin dun are either nationalists or those who are after the prestige of teaching in peyups.they make money not from teaching but from research grants or consultancies/jobs outside the university.now if private companies are getting everyone to work full-time, now we really do have a problem!talo na nga sa facilities & equipment, outdated pa curriculum, now mawawalan na din ng top minds?haay,kawawang mga isko!to the streets ulit!makibaka! =p
    amen!

wawa naman 'UP nating mahal'.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    nakupow. sana ok pa rin sa MA level...

pero this is definitely not good news.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    It isn't old news either. And it's not limited to UP; buong public educational system problema yan.

I've got enough reason to worry about that being in UP at the moment. It's not simply "dumbing down" either, for example this sem some of my batchmates didn't get a certain major because of a shortage of classes. I'm lucky to have gotten a slot on my first attempt, but even though they opened another class a week after enrolment, some were still left out.

I can't worry too much about it though. Baka ma-headline sa kule "Estudyante ng Eng'g Tinalon ang AS..."
    Last edited by Alpha_One; January 28th, 2006 at 11:01 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    d'bat ganyan din naman sa mga ivy league universities
    not really. tenured profs at top US universities typically make the low six figures in USD, and they also do consulting, collect money from book royalties, etc. so it's a pretty good living assuming you can spend hundreds of thousands of $$ and at least 10 years of your life getting trained.

it's a way for people who just love teaching and research to make a great living without being in the rat race or having a super-high pressure job.

my late ninang used to be a full professor at UP and she told me that there's no way you could make even a good living on a UP prof's salary - even at the highest levels. however, she also said that most professors aren't in it for the money anyway. she herself lived a very modest lifestyle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
UP losing best brains