New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo View Post
    its funny, in one of the multi-cultural classes I attended at work ... in the US, its not polite to ask someone where his children goes to school or where he lives kase malalaman mo more or less his status in life... which is not ideal esp if you don't have a personal connection with him/her...
    one more reason that's why i am so thankful i decided to go home to the philippines and not live in the US! sa pinas one can ask questions without being labeled as impolite or politically incorrect. sa pinas one can ask questions and the question will be taken for what it is, not for what it can imply. the thread starter was just asking what school our kids go to. maybe we can compare pros and cons of those schools later. and yeah, prices of tuition, too, so maybe we can see what suits our budgets. it is not because we are looking at who can afford more than the other.

before you raise your eyebrows, i was refering to the multicultural class you mentioned, not particularly on your post. i take it as a statement of fact and not necessarilly your opinion.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My unico hijo is Grade 2 in La Salle Greenhills...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The vast majority of American kids go to public schools. So, I don't see where the impoliteness would be coming from. A public school is a public school. It's up to the students and teachers themselves to make their school reputable, not the price of admission.

If it's a problem here, then it's worse in the Philippines where a lot of kids attend private schools and elitist attitudes exist in a much larger scale.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 8th, 2007 at 06:47 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    My son sa Claret.
    my little girl sa John Dewey mindanao ave. Gaganda ng teachers
    gusto ko din magaral dun.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by space invader View Post
    sorry bro kung na quoted kita.. nagkamali lang ako ng pindot.. yup, im with you, wala nman masama dun..
    wala yun bro, peace.

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    maybe we can compare pros and cons of those schools later. and yeah, prices of tuition, too, so maybe we can see what suits our budgets. it is not because we are looking at who can afford more than the other.
    i agree sir with your views this could help us, tsikoteer parents
    decide and choose what's beneficial and yet affordable school for our kids.
    Last edited by XTO; February 8th, 2007 at 09:54 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    funny, i have lived most of my life here in the states and nobody has EVER had a problem with me asking where they or their family go to school. public schools don't have any social stigma at all (most kids go there), and people are proud to declare their alma mater whether it be Harvard or the local community college. it's actually a great way to connect with strangers because you can always talk courses, the local area/hangouts, or college sports.

cardo, hindi kita tinitira because i know those were not your words, but that 'multi-cultural instructor' is either overly PC or full of **** IMHO.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    funny, i have lived most of my life here in the states and nobody has EVER had a problem with me asking where they or their family go to school. public schools don't have any social stigma at all (most kids go there), and people are proud to declare their alma mater whether it be Harvard or the local community college. it's actually a great way to connect with strangers because you can always talk courses, the local area/hangouts, or college sports.
    I've been wondering about that too. I've never seen schools esp grade/high schools used as a status symbol here in the US. It doesn't matter if a kid is rich or poor. Both a rich kid and a poor kid will go to the same school if they live in the same school district.

In the Philippines, many of these private schools are off limits to many of the poorer students because they couldn't afford the tuition fees. Such an environment breeds a disconnect between rich and poor and an elitist attitude among those fortunate enough to attend the more expensive schools.

I've seen the elitist attitude firsthand among some of my teachers who came from one of the more expensive schools. One even had the nerve to compare us to her former students. Even my Mom had displayed the same attitude when I was being compared to my sister. She too had often talked how one of her friend's kids is going to an "inferior" school (behind her friend's back, of course).

Sorry if I'm direct (not to you M, just the thread in general). That's the way I've always been and I'm not about to change. But, I've attended schools in both the US and the Philippines and there's a big big difference in perception of schools in both countries.

Add: I like my kid's school not because of any indication of status (it's a public school, there is none), but because of the dedicated teachers and a willingness to go the extra mile to help students like my daughter learn. Teachers actually do house-to-house visits of their students to develop a rapport with the student's parents and to see if there are any potential issues at home that may be interfering with the student's ability to learn. By the same token, we're required to visit the school every grading period to have a person to person talk with the teacher and discuss positive and any negative trends.

These teachers aren't paid any more than the teachers of the next school district. But, they do have a love for their job and a genuine concern for their students.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 8th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka naman masyado nating sineryoso yung thread na university insults Pero seriously, kahit naman siguro kaunti e tatamaan ka din dun sa mga jokes kung ikaw ay graduate dun sa mga schools na in the receiving end nung mga insults/jokes. Oops, OT na yata. sorry po mga sir

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Sa Disneyland.........

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I :heart: your choice of school.

:hysterical:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
School:  Where do your kids study?