New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mga boss, magulang, kapatid, basta, kahit sa inyo sa atin... just post your Point of views about the title.

no flaming, ha..

again: respect, do you earn or do you impose it?

sige, aantayin replies nalang nyo..

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Respect is always earned, you can't force anyone to respect a person.

Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Respect is always earned, you can't force anyone to respect a person.
    forgot,

add-on:

if in the case of magulang sa anak, anak sa magulang(<--specifically this one), kapatid sa kapatid, magasawa, etc..should it be imposed or earned

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    para po sa akin respect is best earned, better if given and worst imposed.

imposed respect, if you can still call it that, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

we used to work with someone that was not respectable at all but we were told (imposed) to respect the person on the basis of the position she held. we cannot give her the respect she wants, much less earn it. i just left, soon others followed.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it actually depends on the situation or relationship.

in person-person relationships in western countries it is usually earned. in eastern societies it is given and it is up to the recipient to keep it or lose it. i follow the later.

in the military it is demanded. those who fail to give it are court marshalled.

between parent and child it is first taught, then expected by the parent from the child. then as the child grows older it is both kept and earned. when the child becomes an adult then it could change as in person-person above.

between husband and wife (or lovers) it is given (or is the right word "offered"?), then kept or lost.

in the work place the word is not respect but courtesy. you may hate someone else's guts and that person happens to be your boss but you have no choice but to give courtesy. respect is a different matter. you can always answer back to your boss without being disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    it actually depends on the situation or relationship.

in person-person relationships in western countries it is usually earned. in eastern societies it is given and it is up to the recipient to keep it or lose it. i follow the later.

between parent and child it is first taught, then expected by the parent from the child. then as the child grows older it is both kept and earned. when the child becomes an adult then it could change as in person-person above.
    yes it should be thought nung bata pa, pero what if, di naturuan ng proper respect ang anak, nung tumanda at nagkaisip na, parang magdedemand ng respect ang magulang na yun sa anak nya...lumaki ung bata sa salita ng magulang na "wala kang respeto!bastos!walang galang!"

in a family, when will the respect be given and earned and when it should be imposed?
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; October 14th, 2006 at 09:13 PM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    tama si sir yebo, it depends on the situation and relationship.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think you confuse respect with discipline.

to teach a child "respect" is not the same as teaching the child to say "po" and "opo". it is something that is taught by example, like when the parent shows respect to the grandparents and to other people. it is also not the same as telling the child to follow what is told because obedience is not the same as respect either. rather it is showing the child first that what is told is right, rational and morally upright. only when the child learns that what the elder is doing is "respectful" will that child show respect to the elder.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    respect is earned.
    it should not be imposed . It happened to me once. A co-worker who's acting as if she know's everything(gen manager daw un dun sa company) once told me that she would appreciate if i respect her, but i told her, she should not asked for it, it should be earned, NOT ASKED. Her face turned red, she never talked to me again after that.

simple word, pero malaki ang impact sa pakikisalamuha....hay...

just keep on posting nalang, check ko pagbalik ko..

*hahanapin ko muna kung anu pang klase ng "respeto" ang gusto pa ng nanay ko...di ko daw siya nirerespto at minamahal....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
respect: earned or impose?