New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    any which way you say it, whether you like pontiac or not, whether you love or hate oprah,

A FREE CAR IS A FREE CAR!!!! for Gods sake...who doesnt want a freebie in todays difficult world of ours.....

Heck even a free bag of pandesal w/ butter in the morning will make my lips smile.... or a free icecold coke in the middle of a hot sunny afternoon......

what more if its a car.....

well if you won a pontiac and you dont want it and you are not happy with it.... then...just give it to me, I am more willing to accept it....you will make a person happy in an instant......hehehehehhehehe

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    'Di pa nila makukuha agad yung unit. They'll have to wait mga 3-4 months, kasi they get to choose their favorite color. On top of that, they also get to specify any customizations they want i.e. spoilers, body kits, on-board electronics, all paid for by Pontiac. Kaya pala daw nagtataka yung ibang members ng audience, hinihingi daw ang driver's license nila etc. before the show. Yun pala merong malaking regalo.

And that's just the beginning. It merely sets the tone for the "Wildest Dream" campaign they're launching for the show's 19th season. "No dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off" according to Oprah.

Publicity stunt or not, she sure made a lot of people happy that day. I've never been a fan of hers, but we definitely need more Oprah Winfreys in the world, if only to remind people how it feels and what it means to give unconditionally.

Itaas mo, mare! Ang tindeeeeeh!!!
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 15th, 2004 at 06:37 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag ginawa siguro dito ni sharon cuneta yan baka habulin pa sya ng BIR :bwahaha:
    Signature

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well... at least oprah isn't selfish when it comes to money.... i don't really follow her every move or something.. but the foundation she started, i think "angel" something ung name is a very nice way of giving back all the good things that god gave her. at least it's a nice feeling to know that somebody that rich cares about things outside the glitzy and glamorous environment she is living in.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    pontiac reports an eigthfold increase in web traffic on their website. apparently people are inquiring about the all new pontiac G6. well, thanks to oprah. she really could turn products into gold (heck, she might even beat Dubyah in nov).
    if you're going againt the glimmer twins (the twin power) of american mdisize sedans [toyota camry and honda accord], i guess you really have to think more creative in introducing new products. i heard pontiac will also splash the new G6 somehow in america's toprated TV show "survivor".

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    "what it means to give unconditionally"?

it's nothing but another huge marketing ploy from the queen of PR stunts.

think about it. it makes perfect sense for her to give away things to her devoted horde. It'll boosts ratings, most of it is paid for by the company who's makes the products anywat and the "charity" probably helps her with the IRS.

yes, receiving a gift is great. but as for me, it's ofset by the idea that my happiness is now a commodity, used to buff the image of someone else.

It's just so easy to just give something away if it's just a fraction of your worth. seven million is peanuts. think of the ratings and the advertising tidal wave that will follow. that seven million is paid for and earned back within 12 hours of the broacast. this season will be watched by more people simply because she's giving away all that stuff, making "dreams come true".

I started hating oprah since way back. any book she even mentions on her show becomes an instant bestseller, no matter stupid is it. so more relevant books or even those that will interest other people are shoved off the bookshelves.

any new age "guru" that is a guest on her show is an instant millionaire. i can publish a book on how swallowing hair will make me "come to terms with my inner self" and if i get on her show, millions will do whatever I write.

hay...nakakainis...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Leche..nakita ko yan sa Newspaper..nakakainis..aarrgghhh..

Walang swerte mga Oprah fans..syeet.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sayang, malayo ang real life car sa concept car above.

Sedan Version but Coupe version is the same with the exception of the obvious, doors.

Originally posted by niky
    Too bad they're Pontiacs...

By the way.. the Pontiac G6 is so new, it's not for sale yet.

but as long as they're free...
    [/B]
    Its on sale now.
    Last edited by Karding; September 16th, 2004 at 05:11 AM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Originally posted by Bud_wiser
    "what it means to give unconditionally"?

it's nothing but another huge marketing ploy from the queen of PR stunts.

think about it. it makes perfect sense for her to give away things to her devoted horde. It'll boosts ratings, most of it is paid for by the company who's makes the products anywat and the "charity" probably helps her with the IRS.

yes, receiving a gift is great. but as for me, it's ofset by the idea that my happiness is now a commodity, used to buff the image of someone else.

It's just so easy to just give something away if it's just a fraction of your worth. seven million is peanuts. think of the ratings and the advertising tidal wave that will follow. that seven million is paid for and earned back within 12 hours of the broacast. this season will be watched by more people simply because she's giving away all that stuff, making "dreams come true".

I started hating oprah since way back. any book she even mentions on her show becomes an instant bestseller, no matter stupid is it. so more relevant books or even those that will interest other people are shoved off the bookshelves.

any new age "guru" that is a guest on her show is an instant millionaire. i can publish a book on how swallowing hair will make me "come to terms with my inner self" and if i get on her show, millions will do whatever I write.

hay...nakakainis...
    Bud_wiser, I'm no fan of Oprah, but I think what's important here is not so much the act per se but the IDEA that she inspired. See, it IS possible for you to share your blessings. It IS possible for you to actually sympathize and empathize with your fellowmen, to be sensitive to their problems. And it IS possible for you to actually be happy in giving to other people.

Of course it's a marketing ploy, designed to rake in more viewers and more ratings for her show. And pray tell, just how is this a bad thing? Naghahanap-buhay din yung tao. No one's denying that she's in it for the money. The fact that we're discussing it right now means that it can be an obvious conclusion, and therefore she has nothing to hide. Her fans follow her and revere her of their own free will, with the full knowledge that there's something in it for her. Wala naman siyang dinadaya, wala siyang ninanakaw. Which is more than I can say for the many crooks in this country who are screwing us right under our noses. So it's an advertising ploy; so what? I challenge you or anyone here to show me any material possession whose acquisition was not influenced ONE BIT by advertising. The clothes you wear, the brand of toothpaste you use, the batteries you use in your electric shaver and yes, even the cars you own and drive -- like it or not, all of them were advertised, whether through TV, radio, print ads or brochures. To say otherwise would be utter hypocrisy.

I think what makes this upsetting for some people in this country is that it took a self-made woman of color on national television in another country to show the meaning of generosity, instead of these very same people demonstrating their charity out of their own initiative.

Nobody's forcing you to like Oprah or to buy whatever she's endorsing at the moment (I don't even know her enough to like her, I was just impressed by her act, gimmick or no gimmick, simply because no one else had the balls to do it the way she did). Tell you what, everytime you feel like on the verge of puking when Oprah goes on TV, just exercise your free will and change the channel. It will save you an artery, trust me. :-)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm no fan of Oprah either. this would have been a nice gesture if she actually made it.

rather, she makes a deal with a car company that is dying for publicity and sales (literally because it's been unprofitable with sales failure after failure), and reaps all the free publicity for herself.

it does smell of self-promotion to me...and it's wildly successful - not surprising given Oprah's talent at making herself look good. i don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, btw.

i would have been more impressed with Oprah if (a) she actually gave her own money, and (b) she actually did something that mattered in most people's lives, and something not tied into anything commercial.

hmmm, let's see...what's more important than 276 people not needing to take the bus to work every morning?

$7 million towards:
    cancer or AIDS research
    the red cross
    hurricane ivan victims
    sickle-cell anemia research (a disease that affects mainly african-americans)
    inner-city restoration projects
    drug rehab centers
    a struggling black artists' foundation

i can go on and on...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Oprah gives away 276 new Pontiacs