New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... that much is true. But board exam anomalies in the PRC are really old hat. I remember my Mom relating what happened during the Med boards during her time. They changed the exam because word of leakage got out... and right before the exam, some of the examinees were already passing around copies of the new one... disgraceful...

The problem is that the technical board wanted to impose a blanket ban and other restrictions on new schools. One tactic was to create so many new material and equipment requirements that it would be prohibitively expensive to run a nursing school. Kinda counterproductive, if all a school's money goes into equipment and not teachers. This is actually what's killing off small Maritime schools here. I shudder to think what will happen when Maritime schools with 100 students or less will be required to open up multi-million peso training centers (the CMO is still up in the air) instead of sending their students to the already good training centers already extant. Say goodbye Pinoy sailors, hello Chinese...

Like the CHED Secretary said when they resigned... they should stay on and help. Banning schools isn't a good way to improve Nursing... helping schools that are already existent improve their programs academically, and reward schools that produce good graduates.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    when there's more smoke, there's a bigger fire.

PRC defers oath-taking of new nurses

By Christian V. Esguerra
    Inquirer
    Last updated 03:44pm (Mla time) 07/28/2006

THE Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) said on Friday that it has decided to hold in “abeyance until further notice” the scheduled August 22 oath-taking of 17,871 new nurses.

Eufemia Octaviano, chair of the PRC’s Board of Nursing, said the decision was made after she met with the deans of the colleges of nursing of the University of the Philippines, the University of the East and the University of Santo Tomas.

She said the postponement was meant to allow the PRC to hear the concerns of other deans and await the results of the probe by the National Bureau of Investigation into the alleged leakage of questions in the last nursing board exams.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    The problem is that the technical board wanted to impose a blanket ban and other restrictions on new schools. One tactic was to create so many new material and equipment requirements that it would be prohibitively expensive to run a nursing school. Kinda counterproductive, if all a school's money goes into equipment and not teachers.

Like the CHED Secretary said when they resigned... they should stay on and help. Banning schools isn't a good way to improve Nursing... helping schools that are already existent improve their programs academically, and reward schools that produce good graduates.
    i don't know about the suggestion of a blanket ban.

but i think the problem was that most schools lack sorely lacked equipment and teachers. for one, a lot of the schools which were supposed to be closed don't have a full hospital as a partner. so how can nursing students learn patient care hands on? another is that professors and deans in most of these schools are also professors and/or deans in other schools. quality will suffer.

I have no doubt that the members of the CHED Technical Committee on Nursing Education wanted to help. again, from my point of view, the suggestions they were giving were not really being noticed or taken seriously by CHED. they have already given their view on how to improve academically. so what more can we expect them to do? reward? the increase in enrollment due to the good quality of the school should be the best and only reward. improve their academic programs? if the programs were so bad, why should they be allowed to exist and why should we tolerate them?

are their suggestions unreasonable? maybe. but they must know something we don't. i can only hazard a guess that they are very concerned with the low quality of the nursing graduates. and as mandated, they wanted to do something about it.

IMHO, the students these schools are producing should speak for whether the school should be allowed to continue existing or not. if we allow substandard schools, there will be substandard graduates, and our country will go nowhere.

sorry if this is long.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang daming nagsulputan na nursing school ngayon.
    karamihan din ng STI at AMA schools sa Pinas, nag-offer na rin ng nursing courses.
    talagang nasa nursing ang pera ngayon.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    nangangamba na iyon mga pumatol sa fixer ...hehehe

National Bureau of Investigation...
    hhmmm ano na din kaya naging result ng investigation nila noon ng mag karoon din ng leak sa Cebu or Mindanao ata sa licensure exam ng Mechanical Engineering noon ?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    yeah, the substance of learning eh nawawala na sa mga nursing students ngayon, wala na ginawa ang mga school kung di kumita para sa kapakanan nila..di nila iniisip ang kapakanan ng students....buti pa panahon ko sa nursing medyo ok pa ang turo. di nila narerealized sa sobrang dami ng nurses ngayon wala nang work sa ibang bansa....

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morrissey_05
    i don't know about the suggestion of a blanket ban.

but i think the problem was that most schools lack sorely lacked equipment and teachers. for one, a lot of the schools which were supposed to be closed don't have a full hospital as a partner. so how can nursing students learn patient care hands on? another is that professors and deans in most of these schools are also professors and/or deans in other schools. quality will suffer.

I have no doubt that the members of the CHED Technical Committee on Nursing Education wanted to help. again, from my point of view, the suggestions they were giving were not really being noticed or taken seriously by CHED. they have already given their view on how to improve academically. so what more can we expect them to do? reward? the increase in enrollment due to the good quality of the school should be the best and only reward. improve their academic programs? if the programs were so bad, why should they be allowed to exist and why should we tolerate them?

are their suggestions unreasonable? maybe. but they must know something we don't. i can only hazard a guess that they are very concerned with the low quality of the nursing graduates. and as mandated, they wanted to do something about it.

IMHO, the students these schools are producing should speak for whether the school should be allowed to continue existing or not. if we allow substandard schools, there will be substandard graduates, and our country will go nowhere.

sorry if this is long.
    There was a moratorium for opening new nursing schools in effect since last year. That actually got pushed through.

As for the quality of students, that much is true. If a lot of people want to be nurses to leave, you'll get more "bad" students. If the course is not so in demand, only those who are dedicated and who actually want to become nurses to become nurses (and not just to become rich... ) will enroll.

As for shared deans and professors... that is a valid point. A lot of schools are guilty about that.

RE: Hospital. The ruling is arbitrary, and should be referenced as number of beds versus number of students. A lot of schools got around that rule by having a base hospital a zillion miles away from their school (how, oh how... ). But what alternative do they have? If you're serving a student population in the middle of nowhere, where are you going to find a hospital that big?

My beef is mostly with arbitrary physical requirements... shuck that, and focus on punishing schools for not upgrading teaching practices and curriculum. Of course, you do need the right equipment... but don't go on changing the rules regarding equipment every single year merely to catch some schools out.

If a school produces substandard graduates, the best way to punish them is to publish them in newspapers, or force them to post it on their gate (hahaha!!!). If I wanted to go to the US, I'd rather go to a school with a 75% passing rate than a school with a 10% rate...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by macky8
    yeah, the substance of learning eh nawawala na sa mga nursing students ngayon, wala na ginawa ang mga school kung di kumita para sa kapakanan nila..di nila iniisip ang kapakanan ng students....buti pa panahon ko sa nursing medyo ok pa ang turo.
    iyon iba talaga school talaga business na talaga ang ginagawa .
    di na iniisip talaga ang magandang edukasyon maibibigay sa estudyante nila ,
    di ba may mga school na plan pa mag tayo ng mall ,or iba naman part ng school pina pa rent sa company
    gina gawang warehouse

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    Balita ko daw na ang dahilan nito ay isang malaking Nursing review center na almost 100% na nag-take ng review sa kanila ay pumasa.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    ^^^ di ba kadalasan dito sa mga review center nanggagaling ang mga fixer
    sila mag offer pag malapit na ang examination date

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Nursing Licensure Exam Anomaly... Please Read On...