New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    well... they don't gain or lose anything if they put it in there.

much like the following "stupid" warning signs:
    Hahaha. Yeah. Probably more of a legal consideration than a scientific one. Hehe.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    turning off engines and cellphones while filling up is a hassle, but we are instructed to do it as a preventive measure. may nabasa din ako dati sa magazine ng petron na cellphone signals is less likely to ignite gas fumes while filling. need to find that issue and post some text her...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    this thread is starting to feel like the khaos superturbocharger thread :evillaugh

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    this thread is starting to feel like the khaos superturbocharger thread :evillaugh

frankly... I've had that feeling since two pages ago.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    siguro ang dapat tanungin eh bawal ba ang cellphone sa Pandacan Oil Depot o sa mga Oil Drilling Depots & Oil Refineries around the world? kng bawal dun, baka nga bawal

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    in another view, cellphones are known to interfere with display screens like monitors and tv's. what happens when the digital display meter of gasoline stations get affected, for instance displaying a 23L pero 32L na pala yun na-fill up?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    in another view, cellphones are known to interfere with display screens like monitors and tv's. what happens when the digital display meter of gasoline stations get affected, for instance displaying a 23L pero 32L na pala yun na-fill up?
    better if the gas filled is 32L and you're just paying for 23L... hahahaha

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ebojr
    Siguro its more common here in the US na self-service mostly ang gas stations. Lalo na sa lugar na ang humidity mababa (dry ie: Nevada, Arizona etc) electronic devices or even your own clothing could create static electricity spark na mag-ignite ng gas fumes while refueling. Anyway its just an ounce of prevention, for in the first place sasakyan mo ang unang masunog kung mamalasin. (suwerte ka if u have a diesel)
    yup! i guess this is particularly true and there even are stickers posted on self-serve gas stations where the person filling-up is refrained from re-entering the vehicle while not done filling-up, as this further increases the risk of static sparks to ignite with the gas...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cellphone interference is mostly like radio static.

The first I heard of the cellphone controversy, they were trying to claim that microwave emissions caused sparks between metal parts of the pump... hoookay, so it's safe to use cellphones in the kitchen near my LPG?

When this theory didn't pan out, they put out the circular that it was sparks in the KEYPAD of the CELLPHONE that were dangerous, NOT THE MICROWAVES. (If you don't believe me, look around, one gas station or another still sports this sign). Again, balderdash. There's more electricity flowing in the electrical display of the pump than through the cellphone.

Although there's always a small risk of fire near a pump, a cellphone will not increase this risk at all. Even using the starter motor to restart your engine is a greater risk. Unless the vehicle is popping flame through its tailpipe, there is no danger from the motor, either. Remember the refueling fires we've seen in F1 this past season? All of those cars had their motors running, and they didn't explode. And the race fuel in F1 is VERY explosive. A car's electrical system is basically a sealed system, with no sparking points except inside the engine, insulated from the outside air. It cannot cause a fire unless there is broken wiring, and even then, it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not.

Fun note: the fuel pump inside your gas tank is electric, and it still does not ignite the mixture of fuel vapor and air in an empty gas tank. INSULATION, again.

The cause of fires at gas pumps is usually the ignition of built up vapors at the mouth of a vehicle's gas tank. If the attendant does NOT ground the car by touching it first before inserting the nozzle, built up static charge may cause a spark at the lip of the gas tank. This has proven, time and time again to be the cause of gas pump fires. Even open flames near the pump area are not a hazard, though I'm not going to be the one to tell you to smoke at a gas station... that's just ASKING for trouble.

I believe the L300 fire. But that has nothing to do with the L300 being on. Most running L300s are ancient, and have a rat's nest of electrical wiring and rusted parts, worn rubber in fuel lines, etc... an L300 caught fire at Festival Mall while parked, for God's sake... pretty far away from any fuel pump.

Still, I begrudgingly turn off my engine every time they ask. After closing the windows, turning off the AC, and turning the fans to full to keep the cold air circulating while they fill the car. Damn the media.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    guys, i estimate that i talk on my cellphone at least 50% of the time when i'm pumping gas. and i pump my own gas, so the phone is very close to the nozzle all the time!!

i'll let you know kung nasabugan ako :bwahaha: but don't hold your breath :hihihi:

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Mobile Phones and Gasoline Stations [MERGED]