New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I am starting with KW-Hr data gathering on this.

First pass, after monitoring for a few days,- without changing our consumption schedule/habit,- it is 61%non-peak; 39%peak for us.

Trying to get some numbers if we're able to save with this consumption schedule.

17.2K:type:

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Bros.,- I am done with my one-month data gathering activities and the data shows that my peak hour consumption is 28% and my non-peak hour consumption is 72% of my total KW-Hr number (and it is given that my electric consumption is > 500KW-Hr a month).

Now, can somebody be kind enough to assist me with my approximate savings per month,- say,- I am consuming about 700KW-Hr of electricity (in a month)? Or, point me to a website or telephone number/customer service who can guide me in doing the math, please?

I just want to understand how the computation is actually done by MERALCO and it follows,>>> to compute my ROI.....

TIA.

17.5K:bruce_lee:

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    IMO the computation is as simple as getting your on and off peak consumption and applying the rates to them.

For simplicity let's say your daily consumption is 24 kwh (1 kwh per hour)
    24 * 30% * peak rate = peak amount
    24 * 70% * off peak rate = off peak amount
    peak + off peak = total amount per day

Additional taxes and surcharges will be based on the rates applied to the initial computation. Since Meralco de-bundled their charges it's actually easier to see where each and every amount is coming from.

It's a way of managing when people use electricity. On peak sabay-sabay ang computer at aircon sa office, makina sa factories, MRT and LRT, etc so kung medyo tagilid na ang power supply natin may chance na mag-rotating brownouts. If they can somehow "encourage" people to move their other power-consuming activities to off-peak hours ma-lessen ang demand ng kuryente during peak hours. Matagal na actually sa ibang bansa neto. The application I'm working on already had TOU more than 10 years ago
    Last edited by JohnM; November 27th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    IMO the computation is as simple as getting your on and off peak consumption and applying the rates to them.

For simplicity let's say your daily consumption is 24 kwh (1 kwh per hour)
    24 * 30% * peak rate = peak amount
    24 * 70% * off peak rate = off peak amount
    peak + off peak = total amount per day

Additional taxes and surcharges will be based on the rates applied to the initial computation. Since Meralco de-bundled their charges it's actually easier to see where each and every amount is coming from.
    Thanks,- I get that bro.,- but what are the peak rate, non-peak rate, surcharges and other charges, please?

Where can I get the reference information for these? Anyone here who are into the TOU and is willing share the actual MERALCO charging, please?

TIA.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah you need the actual rates? Looks like wala sa site nila. Mahirap naman kung saka mo lang malaman na 50 sentimos lang pala diff between on and off peak sa first bill mo :hysterical:

I assume NAPOCOR generation charge will be the same for both on and off peak. Nagkakatalo na lang sa "magic number" na ginagamit ng Meralco for computing the final on and off peak consumption. It could be something as simple as a multiplier or it could be a complicated algorithm that takes into account your average monthly usage, season, weather condition, showbiz updates, etc.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Ah you need the actual rates? Looks like wala sa site nila. Mahirap naman kung saka mo lang malaman na 50 sentimos lang pala diff between on and off peak sa first bill mo :hysterical:

I assume NAPOCOR generation charge will be the same for both on and off peak. Nagkakatalo na lang sa "magic number" na ginagamit ng Meralco for computing the final on and off peak consumption. It could be something as simple as a multiplier or it could be a complicated algorithm that takes into account your average monthly usage, season, weather condition, showbiz updates, etc.
    Oo nga bro.,- iyan naman ang mahirap sa MERALCO,- gusto nilang i-promote ang isang metering/billing scheme,- hindi naman sila magbigay ng concrete na comparison kung substantial nga ang matitipid ng consumer.

In this case mayroon significant cost ang change ng electric meter et al....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Meralco time of use program