New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    meron ngang ganyang company..meron silang hinahanap na sila lang ang nakaka-alam kung sino ang gusto nila kunin.....kahit na qualified ka at meron kang isang wala sa qualifiacation nila...out ka na...or for formality sake or for the record meron silang ininterview na ilang applicants for selection, pero sa totoo lang meron na silang napili.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    well, i'm sad to say but it really happens. i know people who organize job fairs. it's a known fact that there is a separate filing box for the top three schools and the cum laudes, and another for the other schools.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    PUP is a respected educational institution. Baka may bias towards the top 5 lang talaga iyang prospective employer mo.

Sometimes may bias din ang employers against schools na fly-by-night ang dating.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here's my perspective as a part-time corporate recruiter.

the reason why corporations show a "bias" or prefer to recruit at the top 5 schools (or in my case in the US, top 25), is that we expect much more consistency in the student body at those schools. one of our goals is to recruit efficiently, and by going to a top school, we can use that school's admissions process as our "1st round" because we know they have a competitive acceptance process.

i would much rather conduct 20 interviews to get 5 good people, rather than do 200 interviews at other schools to find those "diamonds in the rough" to get the same number. plus, there's always a chance that the guy in front of me just interviews well...and his intellect/work ethic is less of a concern if he's been able to survive for 4 years at a competitive top school.

it's silly to say that the top schools have a monopoly on talent. but it's equally silly (and naive) to think that the school doesn't matter at all.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    nakatsamba ka lang ng pihikan na HR

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    here's my perspective as a part-time corporate recruiter.

the reason why corporations show a "bias" or prefer to recruit at the top 5 schools (or in my case in the US, top 25), is that we expect much more consistency in the student body at those schools. one of our goals is to recruit efficiently, and by going to a top school, we can use that school's admissions process as our "1st round" because we know they have a competitive acceptance process.

i would much rather conduct 20 interviews to get 5 good people, rather than do 200 interviews at other schools to find those "diamonds in the rough" to get the same number. plus, there's always a chance that the guy in front of me just interviews well...and his intellect/work ethic is less of a concern if he's been able to survive for 4 years at a competitive top school.

it's silly to say that the top schools have a monopoly on talent. but it's equally silly (and naive) to think that the school doesn't matter at all.
    It is sad, but true My chances of getting a better job would be greater if I opted to go to say Rutgers Univ or even NJIT, instead of a local university (NJCU).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    but at the same time, i don't mean to imply that it is impossible either. i guess the best way i can say it is, if you are at a top 5 school, the companies will come to you. you only have to get the best credentials you can, and interview well.

if you're from a less well known school, you just have to work harder. work your connections, your networks, your community, etc. once you get the interview, more or less patas na kayo nung top 5 graduate....

OT - oy flipmarc, musta na? tagal mo nang MIA ah
    Last edited by empy; July 24th, 2007 at 02:09 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Sad reality is, hindi pa enforced dito sa atin and Equal-Opportunity-Employment practices. Which is also one reason kung bakit tayo nakakakuha ng mga outsourced business from the US. Dito pwede maging pihikan ang employer, sa US bawal yon.

In fairness, since hindi naman illegal dito. Meron talagang jobs where your schools/university becomes a factor, and not because of what they taught you but rather "who you went to school with". Gets mo? e.g. jobs that capitalize on your peers and connections which are mostly marketing and sales related.

PUP din ako, at undergrad pa, pero I managed to become an IT Manager ng isang Telco company, naging CIO with MAs from UP and Ateneo reporting under me, at ngayon running my own outsourcing business. I managed to finish my college degree this year sa TUP for the sake of convincing my children that education is still important though I managed without it for some time.

Like any challenge, you rise above it, wag mag-mukmok sa isang tabi. Be excellent in everything you do and everything else will follow. Check yourself, if matters like this causes you to question the employer, I probably wouldn't hire you even if you're from Ateneo or La Salle. I'd expect more from somebody with 10 yrs of experience (maybe that's were you failed the interview).

No offense meant, consider this your wakeup call ;)

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Some of them have been discussed by M54, may I also add that they prefer it because a lot of students pass the entrance exams and requirements of the company. So instead of them fishing out with other schools, people in recruitment will make their work easier if they're going to get their workers from the top schools.

It's also a possibility that the company will not hire the candidate not because of their skills but because the past (experiences) and present actions (based on the answers of the interview) does not match their culture.

Baka din pare, ang initial impression ay sa sobrang tindi ng experiences mo eh ang kailangan nila ay iyong mid level lang or baguhan sa pagiging manager (baguhan according to their standards)..

Iba iba yan pre... I'm sure it doesn't have to do with your skills. Malay mo, may kalaban ka sa loob na may connection. Hehehehe. See? :D
    Last edited by froshie1; July 24th, 2007 at 02:55 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Oo nga, baka ung naging asawa (na sa basketball nyo nung PE sinupalpal mo) ng ex-gf mo nandun. Initials mo pa lang alam na alam na

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
malaki ba talaga effect kung saan ka nagtapos