New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    disregard the word "of" before "testify" typo err lang po.

GE 24:2-9, 47:29 "... put your hand under my thigh, and I will make you swear by the Lord ...."
    take note that this means "put your hand under my testicles," which is the manner in which oaths were taken at that time; "testament," "testify," and "testicle" have the same root.

what is interesting about is, the funny story behind any word that sounds intriguing. like the following:

>> sa kapangpangan: door is "pasbol"..why?..howcome?..there must be an interesting story behind this word. you'll never know maybe your theory is the one kapangpangans are waiting for...

>> sa hiligaynon: homo***ual is "agie"
    i think i can interpolate on this word...seguro noong araw, nadinig ng bisaya yung kano ng magsalita ng: "he's a gay" well, a gay=agie. ito po ay aking theory lang.

>> the fruit "santol" this does'nt sound talalog. it seems more an english origin. btw there is no english name for santol..anyone can tell?

>> in bisaya again "yawa" is devil..
    i think i might say something about this word.. when christianity arrived in visayas, they learned about the 10 commandments and the 3rd commandment is "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". and then they were taught that the name of the Lord is Tetragrammaton YHWH "YAHWEH". and they should never say the name of God "yahweh" dahil masama.."hoy huwag mong banggitin ang YAHWEH masama yan". so masama is equals devil kaya YAHWEH=MASAMA=DEVIL=YAWA. ito ay sa opinion ko lang po lahat.

>>ok, does anyone has a word to tell?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post

>> sa bisaya: homo***ual is "agie"
    i think i can interpolate on this word...seguro noong araw, nadinig ng bisaya yung kano ng magsalita ng: "he's a gay" well, a gay=agie. ito po ay aking theory lang.
    Hindi ba 'bayot' ang word for 'bakla' sa Bisaya?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Hindi ba 'bayot' ang word for 'bakla' sa Bisaya?
    yap i heard that word as well, bayot. but then "agie" is i think commonly used in hiligaynon a nothwest part of negros occidental i.e. bacolod.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    mga bagong new words! =)

kaya ba may salitang "pesteng yawa!" hehe

laking manila lang ako at walang province, kaya can't tell any native language other than tagalog.

ang hindi ko parin matranslate sa tagalog ay yung "clue"?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [Middle English testifien, from Latin testificamacr.gifrimacr.gif : testis, witness; see trei- in Indo-European roots + -ficamacr.gifrimacr.gif, -fy.]

I think the latin TESTIS got confused with the modern TESTES.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jundogg View Post
    mga bagong new words! =)

kaya ba may salitang "pesteng yawa!" hehe

laking manila lang ako at walang province, kaya can't tell any native language other than tagalog.

ang hindi ko parin matranslate sa tagalog ay yung "clue"?
    clue?..di ko alam din tagalog nyan.. "wala akong ideya" talaga..

pero ang "MALUNGAY" english pala nun ay "Horseradish Tree" from genus MORINGA, katunog ng malungay ang moringa ano?...ahah.. malamang ito ang root nun. moringa!!!
    .. of course marami na ang nakakaalam na english ng AMPALAYA which is bitter melon or bitter gourd.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    No offense meant, but I think the thread title should read: "LOL...just read about the root word of testify"

disregard the word "of" before "testify" typo err lang po.
    huh??

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    No offense meant, but I think the thread title should read: "LOL...just read about the root word of testify"

huh??
    Yap I agree you with you. You see, I was tying to put an emphasis to the origin of the word and how it came along but in process I got mixed up. That was supposed to be: LOL..just read about the origin of the word "testify"
    But that came out: LOL...just read about the root of the word of "testify"
    and since there is no option to edit it I just wrote a note on the message box regarding it.

anyway,
    To the Moderators: If you could please change the title of my thread to: LOL...just read about the origin of the word "testify"
    Or if the mods have a better one, then have no problem with it.
    Thank you very much mods. and I am extending my gratitude to sir Galactus. More power to you all.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    there are words in all languages (not only in english, for that matter) that can not be translated word for word into another language (say Tagalog or Pilipino), like yung "clue" nga, pwede po natin sabihin or intranslate sa tagalog as in "wala akong kamalay malay" or "ni sa hinagap" as an example...my 2 cents

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pajerokid View Post
    [Middle English testifien, from Latin testificamacr.gifrimacr.gif : testis, witness; see trei- in Indo-European roots + -ficamacr.gifrimacr.gif, -fy.]

I think the latin TESTIS got confused with the modern TESTES.

but it is a fact that during those days taking an oath means one must put his hand under the scrotum of the other person.

are the testis and the modern testes you're pointing out here are different from:
    >>> testis = testicle
    >>> testes = testicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
LOL..just read the origin of the word "testify"