New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by n2knee View Post
    ang napansin ko lang po, isa ang mga pinoy sa mga pinaka racist.

This could be true. Mostly, kababayans with slightly darker complexion are sometimes looked down upon as opposed to mestizas/mestizos. Most villains/contrabida in films and tv's are mostly with darker complexion whereas mestizos are the bidas. Tingin ko lang.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrocks View Post
    Local and International discrimination are everywhere,you can't blame them for that... some because of life status/standings, others due to security/safety reasons, colors/features/smells...you have to be careful nowadays who you are dealing with...
    are you telling us that it is ok to practice discrimination?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "you can't blame them for that"????

maybe you mean "can't do anything about that"?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ilang beses ko na rin ho naranasan napagtatawanan ng mga kaibigan, kakilala kaklase, kasamahan sa trabaho, ( pati ho kasama kong ilocano d2 sa work ko ngayun), ilocana po ako pero laking mindanao, at young age luzon visayas mindanao at dubai npuntahan ko na,natuto magsalita/umintindi ng iba't ibang dialect, ilocano, bisaya, surigaonun, chavacano, kapampangan, ilonggo, tausug, maranao pro npagtatawanan parin.. d ko na ho pinapansin, mgtawa sila hanggang gusto nila hindi ko nman po kawalan.. :D

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I wouldn't go so far as saying Pinoys are racists. Prejudiced? Maybe. But "racist" would be too strong a term. There are differences between being prejudiced and being racist. It's kind of like the difference between manslaughter and murder. Both are still bad.

Almost everyone have prejudices which is probably what that other guy meant when he said it's all over the world. Prejudice can be minimized by being tolerant and understanding other cultures/not being ignorant. Being racist has no cure.

Considering the popularity of hiphop* among Pinoy's, I honestly doubt many Pinoys are racist.

*I'd be an exception because I grew up with heavy metal and I'm too old to change my tastes

I'm also trying to see what some of my own prejudices are. I really don't have too many because I don't have much interest in people.

Here's one that may come close:

I do recall wondering why a Pinoy (who walked by our house) was wearing baggy oversized pants, oversized sports jacket, Nike high tops, and a snowcap when it's freaking 115F/46C outside. Me, I was sitting on a lawn chair up front in the shade with a beer and was half-tempted to wear nothing but my boxer brief and tank tops. I felt it was much too hot. Then, here's a Pinoy (teen, young adult?) walking by all covered up. He could've at least brought some bottled water with him.

What's amusing is we have an African-American neighbor up who lives a few houses down. He was washing his black Dodge Charger SRT8 and had some hip hop tunes blaring. He was wearing shorts and was shirtless (probably to show off his pecs and biceps). He saw that same Pinoy. He turned towards my direction and shook his head. I just shrugged back and chilled. I went back to watching girls in their bathing suits/bikinis walk to the swimming pool.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 30th, 2007 at 11:12 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    We can't deny it's there, but it's up to us whether we join in the regionalistic bandwagon or not.

I'm proud of my colleagues because we tend to be open to new things, such as the Manila- or Luzon-based ones learning the Visayan/Cebuano language. No regionalism or discrimination there.

If you remember your Philippine history, this exact same thing is what led to Andres Bonifacio's death in Cavite more than a century ago by Aguinaldo's men. Di magkasundo yung mga taga-Kawit at taga-Intramuros kahit lahat sila Katipunero. Talaga naman!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Don't tell me Gil has been sleeping under a rock and only just now found out about this problem......

The problem's been around since I can remember.

If it was just the movie, then things can be forgiven. But, it's a lot worse than a mere slip of the tongue.

My wife is Visayan and I'm living that nightmare right now.

My Philippine heritage has been a love/hate (90/10?) thing. This just happens to fall under hate, joining the crab mentality part.

Add: That's also why I shun separate Fil-AM organizations based on dialect or province/region here in the US. It breeds this kind of behavior. Too many Pinoys make a big deal of their dialect/province or whatever college in the Philippines they graduated from..... They're not happy to be simply Pinoys....
    I'm half Ilocano and half Tagalog(Bulacan) and I feel the discrimination from my full blooded Ilocano cousins during family get togethers. But I know what you mean about the FilAm organizations as my dad who is Ilocano was told by some groups that my dad was free to join as long as he didn't bring my mom, needless to say he told them to go to hell. But this regionalism is also the main reason that even though Pinoys are the second largest Asian group in the US we also have the least polical representation among the Asian community. Heck, the Japanese, Indians, and Koreans who we out number have more clout than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post
    sir, kahit ako din dito sa US na experience ko din yan. one time I asked someone kung ano nationality niya.. sabi sa akin "Hawaiian" (which dapat talaga American, kasi state ng America ang Hawaii) anywayz, yung pag alis ko, na bigla nalang ako nung narinig ko siyang mag Ilocano!! .. talagang "Feeling" ng loko! lolz!

wow! hindi ko alam yan ha! man, thats really bad! I too have some friends (even the older generations) that served in the Military and I havent heard anything like that. well, baka siguro hindi lahat ganon.

but then again, it is so true na once na nasa labas sila (civilian) wether if your in the Military or not, haaayy naku. ayan na ang yabangan.

thats good, at least you never acted like a d!ck to them. Visayans are actually nice people compared to others. mas madaling matawa ang mga bisaya at madaling maki sama.

I know this since that I'm also part Visayan.. well my mother was from Mindanao and my dad was from Cebu, but I was born and raised in Pasay City, Manila.

anywayz, me growing up in Manila being part "bisaya" was also difficult ever since I was young. kasi sa Manila, once na malaman nila na Bisaya ka (or kahit na part bisaya ka) eh pag tatawanan at pag ti-tripan ka ng mga kaklase at mga kaibigan mo, which is really messed up in my opinion. biruin mo, kahit bata pa lang eh marunong na silang mang-hate sa kapwa. eh paano nalang pag tumanda na?

buti nalang hindi ako lumaki ng ganun, same as my whole family and relatives.. we never hate on other fellow kababayans based on their Dialect or Religion.

kaya dito sa amin (Bay Area), madami akong mga ka tropa na Tagalog, Bisaya, Ilocano at Kapampangan. I have so many friends out here since na marunong akong MAKISAMA.

aite, peace.
    You have to understand the Filipino history in Hawaii as most of the early Filipinos there were from Ilocos and they were the one's working the pineapple plantation. It's was only later that Filipinos from other region arrived in Hawaii, it's also why the region with the largest presence there is Ilocos. I'm surprised he didn't say Ilocano when you asked because a lot still give that reply instead of saying Filipino. Others do consider themselves Hawaiian because they are 3rd or 4th generation born in Hawaii and speak only English and Ilocano. Just look at Brian Viloria when he fought in the Olympics for the US not once did he mention being Pinoy but he was always introduced as Hawaiian, it was only later on when he jumped on the Manny bandwagon did he acknowledge being Pinoy.
    Last edited by redorange; December 31st, 2007 at 03:01 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    I'm half Ilocano and half Tagalog(Bulacan) and I feel the discrimination from my full blooded Ilocano cousins during family get togethers. But I know what you mean about the FilAm organizations as my dad who is Ilocano was told by some groups that my dad was free to join as long as he didn't bring my mom, needless to say he told them to go to hell. But this regionalism is also the main reason that even though Pinoys are the second largest Asian group in the US we also have the least polical representation among the Asian community. Heck, the Japanese, Indians, and Koreans who we out number have more clout than we do.
    Sigh....... I feel more at ease with the Vietnamese. Hmmm. Nice rhyme.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    I am an ilonggo, and I frequently fly to manila on business trips. Funny thing is that Manila folks tend to still believe that napakarural pa ng lugar namin. As in meron nga nagsabi na magsawa na raw akong manood ng sine kasi baka wala raw sa amin ng mga sinehan. And they make fun of the way we speak, but one thing i noticed was that, we rural folks still practice proper grammar. Sa kanila nga e bunging english (meron pang mga pasakalyeng "kasi you know, basta its like ". I have no quarrels with urbanites but medyo irritating na rin kung minsan. peace

Ang pakiramdam ko mas maganda quality ng education sa probinsya.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    I am an ilonggo, and I frequently fly to manila on business trips. Funny thing is that Manila folks tend to still believe that napakarural pa ng lugar namin. As in meron nga nagsabi na magsawa na raw akong manood ng sine kasi baka wala raw sa amin ng mga sinehan. And they make fun of the way we speak, but one thing i noticed was that, we rural folks still practice proper grammar. Sa kanila nga e bunging english (meron pang mga pasakalyeng "kasi you know, basta its like ". I have no quarrels with urbanites but medyo irritating na rin kung minsan. peace

Ang pakiramdam ko mas maganda quality ng education sa probinsya.
    Kahit nga ako nahahawa na sa tinu tukoy mo. Parang nakakapag practice lang ako ng tamang grammar pag me mga bisita kami na taga province.
    I use to travel a lot and i am always very carefull in speaking tagalog, because out of the centers if you speak tagalog you are either a tourist or
    The Philippine Army.

My family is Tagalog, Ibanag and Bikol mix, i have noticed this kinds of discrimination growing up. My Tagalog folks discriminate against Pilipino (manila type of tagalog) speakers, the my Ibanag side only speaks English, Ibanag and Ilokano if there are guests. My Bikol side would speak in bikol, make sarcastic remarks in tagalog argue in Spanish, and consider everyone that speaks slow stupid.

As for me I speak Pilipino,Bikol and English.And can follow conversations in ilongo,spanish. Never learned Ibanag.
    Last edited by mark_t; January 6th, 2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Local discrmination?