New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Pretty hard to mandate seatbelts onto school services. Not all vans with front-facing benches (Hiace, Urvan, etc) have seatbelts for each passenger. Worse, no vans with side-facing benches (L300 FB, KC2700) have seatbelts for the bench passengers.

And then, there's the problem of poor school service operators who can't afford to retrofit seatbelts onto their vehicles. For private school operators, this is fine - they can jack up their rates to compensate for the safety measures to be applied. But public school operators don't have the option of increasing their prices, lest they wish to be turned down by cash-strapped parents. Then there's the problem of kids commuting to school through odd means such as 10-in-1-tricycle rides, or 5-in-1-motorcycle rides with their neighbor. Even less safe, and this is a whole set of problems on its own.

Of course, such measures must be mandated...eventually. It's just that I find it to be too extreme to impose right now, even if it's the right way to go. I guess it's more feasible to increase strictness in enforcing the seatbelt law among private vehicles, with amendments to include rear passengers. As much as I want the law to be enforced on all vehicles, private cars lang naman talaga ang may complete set of seatbelts (not all pa nga eh).
    Also, one worry i always have with those AUV type school services filled with kids is that there's really no crash protection from a rear-ender. Many years ago, a Ateneo High School student was killed on C5 when their FB service was hit at the rear. He was just sleeping at the last spot on the bench seat. The least that can be done for that is to mandate the shortening of the bench seats to keep the last spot or two open but of course, that's several thousand pesos less income for the school bus operator.

And to add, some school bus drivers are really plain, not fit to be driving schoolbuses (drives fast, counterflows, takes risks). Good thing lately nabawasan na yung mga gunggong na nakakasabay ko sa road as i think schools are also becoming stricter on accrediting these school services.
    Last edited by vinj; June 6th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung iba gumagamit lang ng seatbelt dahil law. hindi nila iniisip na para sa safety nila yun. marami na akong nasabihan na sa "Manila ka lang ba maaaksidente?". usually kasing sinasabi sa akin ng ayaw mag seatbelt na sa manila lang daw yun bawal. tsk tsk.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The 2nd thing I bought for my then new car was a child safety seat.

The first being gas.

Anyway, my analysis is that, since there's a significant number of people living below and slightly above the poverty line, the 'level of worry' for most is more about how to get from point A to point B rather than how safe should I be, going from point A to point B.

The same logic applies with common road courtesy. Revenue/survival first before everything else.

Sent from my keyboard to your face

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hein View Post
    Why does this message show on your post?

I use my iPAD HD via 3g or wi-fi, and I don't show a message like this.
    You have to turn it on sa dashboard settings ng tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by shadow; June 6th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    tina-type lang lagi ni *shadow yan

Sent from my iPhone 4S White using Tapatalk
    Hinde ako imagine katulad mo ah...

Kung meron Ako meron, Kung Wala, Wala! hinde mag imagine na meron kahit Wala..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I remember this stupid mom interviewed on TV who was angry the tricycle/school service they were in was apprehended due to overloading.

Sarap batukan ng malakas yung ulo at lagyan ng permanent waiver na "kung sino man makasagasa sa mga anak nito, habangbuhay walang sala".

Just for the sake of her stupidity not being passed to the next generation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12