New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    We're currently remodelling our home and I have decided to use a cooktop style stove, integrated to the counter. Now, deciding between going LPG or induction is killing me. Initial investments aside (of which induction costs 2-3x more), which is the least expensive to operate in the long run?

In other words, with the same amount of energy, is electricity cheaper or more expensive than LPG?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mas mainit yata ang LPG so mas ok pangluto.
    Signature

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    We're currently remodelling our home and I have decided to use a cooktop style stove, integrated to the counter. Now, deciding between going LPG or induction is killing me. Initial investments aside (of which induction costs 2-3x more), which is the least expensive to operate in the long run?

In other words, with the same amount of energy, is electricity cheaper or more expensive than LPG?
    You will also need to consider what type of cooking will be done. For some types of cooking, such as those that use traditionally shaped woks, induction ovens don't have enough contact with the cooking surface to generate sufficient heat. Moreover, some chefs toss the wok as well, thus breaking contact and effectively turning off the burner.

To accommodate induction ovens, manufacturers actually have come out with flat-bottomed woks that make sufficient contact to generate heat. Conversely, some induction cooktops are also available with a rounded burner that is able to make contact with the rounded bottom of a traditional wok. But in both cases, the food will need to be stirred with a cooking utensil, instead of being tossed by lifting the wok itself. Not sure what effect this will have on the resultant dish.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Appreciate your response, architect (very appropriate handle, btw). All those things have been considered (ie. I'm buying new 'induction-friendly' cookware if I have to). We also don't do any exotic cooking that involves any tossing. We're well aware of its limitations. I still have the old LPG stove as backup anyway.

Anyway, my concern is operating cost. I know that induction cookers are more efficient as the heat is delivered directly to the pan/pot's bottom portion and little is watsted into the air, compared to gas burners. But BTU for BTU, which will provide me the best bang for the buck? I mean, I could be saving energy by using a very efficient induction cooker, but what if the electricity cost comes out as more expensive than the cost of LPG for the same amount of BTU either produces?

Driving me nuts.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would think LPG stove would still work better in the long run. Simple mechanism. Just keep clean to keep it working well. No electronics to fail except for the igniter. Works even when the power is out. The cost of electricity is going up and up.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Use of electricity is not the way to go for cooking.....

13.5K:handinhand:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I definitely agree with GH and CVT. As much as induction tops are aesthetically more in line with high end residences, most of our design clients still request for a so-called dirty kitchen, equipped with LPG stoves, where the actual cooking is done. In short, the "clean" kitchen is most often for show only.

Unless you can be assured of 24/7 electricity, or have a stand-by generator or alternate power supply, LPG is, in reality, more practical. In my own household, we use LPG stoves in the dirty kitchen. We also have a charcoal-fed stand-alone unit, one that I got years back at one of the motor shows. It is actually very usable and cheap to operate, especially if you use those recycled organic charcoal briquets. : )

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    In industry, meaning sa pag mass produce ng food, mas prefer din lpg compared to electricity ( wala pa ako nkaita na bakery using electric heaters sa oven, usually diesel or lpg.

Mas mura talaga lpg

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    lpg is still the more practical of the two. sa electric mas matagal ang heating time compare to lpg. as others have mentioned , pano na kapag walang kuryente?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    High tech is nice but when it is about getting things done properly like cooking, nothing beats going back to having a convenient open flame to heat and cook your food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Induction vs LPG cooktops