New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    WITH only six out of 1,000 elementary school graduates getting passing marks to enter high school, Sen. Edgardo Angara yesterday said it is about time the government considers a massive reform in the educational system.

The senator noted that the Kaakbay sa Pag-aaral, a non-government organization, reported that only two out of every 100 fourth year high school students are fit to enter college.

Angara, former president of the University of the Philippines, said Filipino students performed poorly in Math, Science, and English as reflected in the results of the National Elementary Assessment Test, National Secondary Assessment Test and National Achievement Test in recent years.

"This means there is something basically wrong with our education system," he said, adding the low budget allocation for education is one
    of the reasons for its deterioration.

Angara said education spending in the Philippines trails behind its Asian neighbors, with only 2.5 percent of the country's gross national product.
    " …Existing budget will not be able to fill the shortages classrooms, desks, textbooks, and teachers. The estimated additional budget required to compensate for this shortage amounts to P23.6 billion," he said.

Angara said the forthcoming debate on the 2006 budget of the Department of Education in the Senate would provide the venue for a deeper look into the needs of the educational sector and the appropriate solution to the problem.

He said the government should address the shortage of physical facilities, particularly classrooms and textbooks. This is aggravated by the shortage of teachers and uneven distribution of teachers among schools, aside from the issue of teachers' declining competency and mastery of the subjects.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Among the few competent teachers we have around, mukhang bumababa na ang morale nila, and it's showing through the students. Naalala ko pati yung mga textbooks natin na mali-mali ang information.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    kakahiya naman yan!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    grabe! in sweden, education is free for all citizens from elementary up to the university.

in their elementary and high schools, libre pa ang pagkain sa eskuwelahan and the government pays the parents an allowance for each child sent to school. and despite all these freebies, they have not compromised their standards

their taxes are high but its working. and most of all, their national budget is positive, not deficit (one of the few euro countries to do so)

kailan kaya mangyayari ito sa pilipinas. hayyyyyy

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez
    kailan kaya mangyayari ito sa pilipinas. hayyyyyy

sir 111prez....sarap nga sana pero malabo mag yari sa pinas ito..

dami pa din naman na mahihirap na gusto mag aral

at may kakayahan ang isipan

hindi kaya dahil sa noodles na kinakain ng mga iyan .

or kulang sa iodized salt...hehehhe

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    scary naman yan

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    why am i not surprised?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i have many relatives including my parents who work in the school system (from elementary to college). this is not surprising.

i myself am a product of public schools from elementary to college, but i had the good fortune to go to some of the very few good public schools (PSHS and UP). for the vast majority of students in our country, education is very much NOT like that.

for example -- UP gets more than 50% of the annual budget for SUC's (state universities and colleges). Granted that most of this budget goes to operating the PGH charity wards, but still -- you can see why UP is generally good even though it's public, while all the hundreds of other state universities have to share what are essentially the scraps from UP.

it's all about budget. and government. i myself come from a family of educators, but i'd be crazy to become a teacher. due to poor compensation, only the most motivated and idealistic of people become teachers. them, or those who can't get another job. my aunt has told me that in her experience, she has gotten 4th year high school students WHO CANNOT READ.

why does this happen? because the teachers have this belief, that by passing students even if they don't deserve to pass, these students are moved off the schools and into the job market where they become someone else's problem. also, failing a student can have repercussions. pinoys have such a twisted view of the educational system that the degree is paramount, nevermind if it's deserved. so you get cases where teachers are harassed/threatened/etc. if they don't pass students. so to rid themselves of problems, and avoid getting bodily threatened, the teachers pass the students even if the latter can't tie their shoelaces.

and we wonder about chronic unemployment... many of the so-called graduates in our workforce aren't fit to be employed.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    and another thing.. it's easy to blame the government for being so corrupt, but a bigger problem is that PEOPLE DON'T PAY THEIR TAXES. The government's 2006 budget is 1.3 trillion pesos (or, about $24 billion).

funny thing is, the Philippine's GDP is $430 billion! (according to the black hats from the CIA World Factbook 2005). that means only about 5% of the local economic activity gets taxed. that's REALLY REALLY LOW. and this is solely due to rampant tax evasion. salary-earners bear the brunt of the tax load (for you professionals out there, you're carrying a tax load of 45% -- about 35% from your income tax, and 10% from VAT, soon to be larger). that means that fixed-income people who are by no means rich, are taxed HALF THEIR INCOME whilst corporations get away with creative accounting practices and avoid corporate income tax.

moral of the story: if tax collection were even twice as good as it is now (10% collection rate rather than 5%) all our budget woes, even with massive corruption, would disappear. We'd have money for schools, for paying off our debt, for feeding the poor.

the Philippines IS a poor country, but do you know what the GDP of Malaysia is? $230 billion. almost HALF that of the Philippines. but they managed to put up the Petronas Towers (of course their population is 1/4th that of the Philippines). but still, our country is by no means a lightweight. tax evasion (which is indicative of a lack of patriotism) and not corruption, is what's crippling us.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sayang lang ang inubos ng oras ng mga batang yan from grade 1 to 6, pati tax na ginamit sa kanila sayang.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Horrors! 6 of 1,000 pass high school entry test