Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    What does it mean for the Philippines?

For starters hirap ang exporters natin.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrocks View Post
    U.S. is like a machine,if the machine broke-down, we all broke down [who will police the world?] ...
    Totoo ba to? Kung sila Shiader at Zaido ay pulis pang kalawakan. Ano kaya tatawag sa US? Pulis pang digma?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NightWinger View Post
    Totoo ba to? Kung sila Shiader at Zaido ay pulis pang kalawakan. Ano kaya tatawag sa US? Pulis pang digma?
    OT, Cool it's up to you, you can call them names whatever you desire, anyway i'm having my good times too here and didn't bother at all

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrocks View Post
    OT, Cool it's up to you, you can call them names whatever you desire, anyway i'm having my good times too here and didn't bother at all
    Sorry if I have offended you my friend. But I think it's United Nation job to do the police work around the world not US.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NightWinger View Post
    Sorry if I have offended you my friend. But I think it's United Nation job to do the police work around the world not US.
    Yes its true but, where is United nation located and whose the greatest contributor. United nation compose of five permanent members and 10 non-permanents members and elected by general assembly but those five council alone has the power to take decession which members is obligated to carry out. Out of those five permanent members, who was to most influential? We all know the answer.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    Di ba po "God Bless America" ba yon? Pero kayo po ang eksperto dahil nandiyan po kayo.

+1 kay Uls. Diba po ang karamihan ng migration naman ay dahil sa Ekonomiya? Dahil pangit po ang tingin nila sa lagay nila sa kanilang sariling bansa kaya umaalis dahil akala nila magkakarun ng magandang buhay sa Amerika. Ask ko lang po. Kung padami ang immigrants diba masama din eto para sa Amerika? O mabuti dahil may source na sila ng murang trabahador na skilled. Tulad ng over-qualified na nars.
    pag skilled immigrants makakabuti ito sa economya ng isang bansa. kung pabigat lang, at aasa sa mga public programs ng isang bansa ay hindi. yung mga low skilled na hindi pabigat at hindi umaasa lamang sa tulong ng public programs ay may pakinabang din. manual labor karamihan ang bagsak nilang trabaho at nagbabayad din ng buwis.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Oil today is below $90 na. 89something. On recession fears.

Good for us.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Time to revive this thread...

Coz something is happening in the States which looks like recession but the govt still wont admit it.

Lots of indicators point to recession... and the latest indicator: US economy loses 63,000 jobs in Feb.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it is a... recession.

Warren Buffett says by a "common sense definition", the US is already in recession.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/23446988/site/14081545
    Last edited by uls; March 8th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    while i think we should all keep in mind the definition of "recession" that uls posted (negative economic/GDP growth) i think it's unavoidable. big negative trade imbalances, the credit crisis, oil prices, and the weakening of the dollar.

how did it happen? the simple answer is that people are greedy and stupid. the subprime lenders, condo flippers, hedge fund managers and bank CEOs all chased what they thought was easy money, but what turned out to be a bubble. i am neither the smartest nor the most knowledgeable investor in the country, but come on - it was so obvious that real estate prices were driven up by speculative activity and not true value increases, and the warning signs (oil!) were all there but everyone ignored them because money was cheap and our home values were (artificially) inflated....

buti di ako nakisalamuha sa kanila :sweat: jobs were also lost because the idiots who run corporations that lost a ton of money in the collapse had to fire many of their employees in an attempt to maintain a profit and save their own asses.

what does it mean for the RP? well, the weakening dollar is eroding your cost advantage in the export and BPO industries. my company has about 800 call center seats in Manila...suddenly the labor cost arbitrage of doing business in the RP has gone down drastically. we're not going to pull out just yet, but suddenly the market is not quite as attractive as it was.

the struggles of US-based multinationals may also have an impact on employment there, like the other thread suggests, where the much-publicized struggles of Citigroup may result in job cuts there.

another key factor in Phil. economic health, foreign remittances, may also take a hit, although my guess is that it won't be too bad - magreremit pa rin ang mga OFW (their families still have to eat), and you're fairly well diversified out of the US (and into Euro/ME/Asia).

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The US is already in a recession even Warren Buffet says it is.... The government says they are not yet in a recession, but the government always lies especially with an election coming up.... By the way Americans are losing jobs. 68,000 jobs were lost last month. Take out government hiring (which should not be included since the true test of labor markets is the private sector) and jobs loss last month would be over 100k. Now that's a recession!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Has recession hit the U.S.? What does it mean for the Phils?