New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    OT lang, http://www.activatingevolution.org/ its a bit related but its fictional ;)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Very interesting work with rhodopsin, do you know the specific article about this? I usually go to pubmed.org to get scientific articles for my classes. It looks like the document should be protein-based (is paper protein based?).
    this was more than 15 years ago. it came out in "nature" if i remember correctly. paper is cellulose-based, not protein-based. the "document" i was referring to is a soft-copy encoded in the rhodopsin "transistors"

Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Technically, you can. In fact, you can do more than just that. But I don't think there has been enough research that jumps from molecular biology to personality changes when applied (jumping from point A to Z halos) because of many, many factors involved. First you obviously don't want to be used as a test subject (not knowing if the process is reversible or not) and second, if you want to clone yourself, it has a lot of ethical, moral, and other kinds of issues (does it really have a soul?), etc...
    personality is not completely a genetic thing. malaki ang effect ng environment. so, hindi basta basta mababago ang personality by just tinkering with the guy's DNA.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup...personality is more of "programming" so evironment plays a bigger role...but the ability (learning, agility etc) of the individual to be "easily programmed" is genetic.

each cell have DNA so if you are to modify an individual, you'll have to do it before they replicate (sperm and egg cell pa lang) habang unicellular pa yun...so pagnagreplicate...all the succeding DNA's will carry the same component (the modified DNA).

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You're right, personality is also affected by the environment. But to answer the question, you could still alter it I guess. I mean if you mutate endocrine signalling pathways to input more dopamine or serotonine (or other hormones), these hormones affect emotion, so it can still somewhat affect personality like make you more moody, etc.

Wildthing you have a very good point. I was thinking of the same thing about altering a phenotype in the adult stage. Paano yon, dapat the individual or organism would sort of "eat" the mutagen and absorb it in the blood so it will be absorbed and maybe transfected? Or what about using a virus with an altered genome na imbis na maging virulent, it will just insert the desired genetic code to alter the individual? Sounds scary, but it's possible...I think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Genetics/molecular biology