New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    The media and the lynch-mob mentality
    By Solita Collas- Monsod

I THINK I may have been one of the fiercest critics of President gloria Macapagal-Arroyo over the years, with my criticisms particularly focused on, but not limited to, her economic policy. I also admit that I may have imposed higher standards on her because she is an economist. But in any event, I would like to think that these criticisms were based on solid grounds rather than on conjectures and speculations. And they were definitely not partisan or ideological in motivation. The objective was always to look out for national rather than personal interests.
    Which is why I want no part of what has to be called the lynch-mob mentality that has seemed to grip the nation, fed by, I am sorry to say, the media, which, more often than I am comfortable with, cannot seem to distinguish between generating news and reporting it. When that happens, a vicious cycle occurs: We generate our own excitement, then we panic because of it, and people get caught up in the hysteria, which then results in generating more excitement....
    ====

it goes on .. but bottomline is .. the media is powerful .. and with great power comes great responsibility ..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    That's what you call not holding the punches whoever you are. :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woulfe27
    well, you can't blame the guy kung tirahin nya mitrubishi phils sa show nya. the company gave him a lemon unit. an excerpt from the manila times:

"From the time of delivery to December 2003, Gene brought the Pajero a total of 18 times for repairs on various defects. In all those periods at the casa, Mitsubishi mechanics and technicians failed to repair the defects.

In the end, Mitsubishi simply gave up the ghost on Gene’s Pajero.

Hauling his lemon of a Pajero to the Diamond Motors casa for the umpteenth time last April for repair jobs, Gene was bluntly told by Mitsubishi officials that the company would no longer entertain his complaints."

Read on:

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/...40723opi4.html
    di ganun ang nadinig ko. i think may write-up about gene's pajero sa C! mag. i also was able to talk to my cousin who is a vp sa mmc. gene was complaining about many 'small' things sa pajero nya, nitpicking baga. para bang naghahanap na lang ng butas. yun pala gene wants a newer unit w/o shelling extra money. mmc offered to find a buyer for the gene's pajero w/c gene accepted. the unit was sold & according to the new owner, wala naman daw problem yung pajero, ok naman daw ang performance. sana merong taga-mmc ang pwedeng mag verify dito.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmm.. 2 sides of the same coin.. depends on the point of view.. ano ba talaga?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    too bad i didn't see that. remember what gene o. said was his opinion, and he is entitled to that. i don't think being "professional" has anything to do with that. in fact, i admire gene o. for still having the balls to say things like that, pajero incident or no pajero incident.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    sorry napanood ko kanina DEBATE ni kumpare at kumare..kakatawa yung mga comment ni Raul hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    It's about time somebody showed that TRAPO that not everyone's buying the crap he's peddling. I don't think that he's being unprofessional, If someone was Bullsh*tting me, I wouldn't care whether what I say will hurt his feelings. After all, he's taking me for an idiot.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    It's true and I agree that JDV and Ramos should be told to their faces that what they are doing is an obvious diversionary tactic.

pero in hindsight, the interview was a suckerpunch and an ambush tho. I think they should've had a debate format to set the atmosphere to a more competetive one. dito kasi it was so friendly and cordial. I think hindi nga tumataas and boses ni Gene (unlike Pia Hontiveros sometimes, cguro nagpiPMS, hehe). I'm not sure if they can do it to Ramos himself. I don't think they take JDV as seriously as Ramos.
    Last edited by bad driver; August 6th, 2005 at 02:00 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    tingin ko gene o. didn't wan't to take JDV head on, or wanted to avoid a fight on air. sa monologue kasi bawal sumabat ung guest(s) ala Ricky Lake Show, so alam nyang di makakabawi si JDV sa kanya.

still, it' rather sneaky though B)

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Pia Hontiveros is hot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
gene orejana vs JDV