New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Do we really like brands? Is it an Asian and American thing?

My new European VP told me several times that us Filipinos must earn a lot and even more than them in Europe. I accompanied him to shop for his wife and he found out that designer brands are more expensive here in the PH and yet he sees it EVERYWHERE. I was really pissed because I wanted my boss to know that money is really hard for us Filipinos so he would feel sorry for me and give me a raise How can I do that now when he thinks Filipinos have so much money eg in my office we have staff who earn about P25k net carrying midrange designer bags of the same amount.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Do we really like brands? Is it an Asian and American thing?

My new European VP told me several times that us Filipinos must earn a lot and even more than them in Europe. I accompanied him to shop for his wife and he found out that designer brands are more expensive here in the PH and yet he sees it EVERYWHERE. I was really pissed because I wanted my boss to know that money is really hard for us Filipinos so he would feel sorry for me and give me a raise How can I do that now when he thinks Filipinos have so much money eg in my office we have staff who earn about P25k net carrying midrange designer bags of the same amount.
    tell him it was just a copy

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Re: Are Filipinos Brand Conscious?
    more like image conscious

brands are used to project image

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    everyone wants to look successful

or look like they've "arrived"

one way to show you've arrived is buy displaying status symbols

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    more like image conscious

brands are used to project image
    But doesn't it have to be consistent? Like a whole lifestyle. You can't just buy brands and expect people to think that you are rich hehehe

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    for other people all they need is to project the image

kahit zero balance ang bank account, kahit lumalaki ang utang sa credit card

kahit walang parking para sa kotse

hindi naman nakikita saan nakatira, ano laman ng bangko

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kahit fake

basta mag mukhang sosy lang

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    kahit fake

basta mag mukhang sosy lang
    Baka nga 50% ng nakita ng VP naman fake. He just assumed all of it are real. So now he thinks pinoys earn a lot. How can I convince him otherwise

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Brand conscious is not only in relation to social status aspirations but in a sense that they equate brands to value for money and quality. For example, sa kotse dapat Toyota para reliable and high resale value.

Also, did you just go to the high end malls that represent the upper middle and elite classes?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    But doesn't it have to be consistent? Like a whole lifestyle. You can't just buy brands and expect people to think that you are rich hehehe
    Naku hindi hehe. I know someone maporma who ate nothing but cup noodles at lunch to save enough money for a trip to Europe. Barely 1 month into it nagkaroon sya ng kidney stones.

I also have a relative who had about a dozen Rolexes at one time but only buys clothes from Kmart and eats fast food.

On the opposite side of the spectrum I know a guy in his 70s who never really spent much on himself. He might be a peso billionaire by now but he still gets around in an 20+ year old car. Wears Hanes white shirts na butas and slacks made by his tailor.

He definitely enjoys making money than spending it. Sad thing is, he's too old to enjoy it now. And probably still doesn't know how to.

Imho it's their call what to do with their money (and debt) naman. Besides, if everyone had good spending habits our economy probably wouldn't grow as fast.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast