New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    saan mabibili yang mama tom yum na yan? at magkano?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sa local, nissin's ramen chicken flavor -- usually accompanied with egg. instant batchoy B)

sa imported, ung Wei Wei Hot Beef and Onion, tsaka Kung Fu Beef flavor

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    n 1958, instant noodles were invented by Momofuku Ando, the founder and chairman of Nissin Foods. Named the greatest Japanese invention of the 20th century in a Japanese poll, instant ramen allowed anyone to create this noodle dish simply by boiling water. Beginning in the 1980s, ramen became a Japanese cultural icon and was studied from many perspectives. At the same time, many local varieties of ramen hit the national market and ramen could be ordered by their geographical names.

Health concerns of instant ramen
    A typical packet of instant ramen
    Enlarge
    A typical packet of instant ramen

Instant ramen has often been criticized for its potential health risks. Some of these claims are justified, while others could be made against any diet that contains too much of a particular food.

A single serving of instant ramen is high in carbohydrates and low in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Instant ramen is typically fried, which makes it high in saturated fat and/or trans fat. A popular college urban legend states that a student gave himself scurvy by living on nothing but ramen for an entire year. [1]

Ramen broth, especially that of instant ramen, contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) and a high amount of sodium, usually in excess of 60% of the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance. The noodles themselves contain little sodium, so one can avoid drinking the soup or use less of the seasoning package if a low-sodium diet is recommended for health reasons.

The most recent controversy surrounds dioxin and other hormone-like substances that could theoretically be extracted from the packaging and glues used to pack the instant noodles. As hot water is added, it was reasoned that harmful substances could seep into the soup. After a series of studies were conducted, this concern was found to be baseless

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun
    saan mabibili yang mama tom yum na yan? at magkano?
    sa SM ko nabili, pero mabilis maubos. halos nakikita kong natitira mga HOT SPICY, MI GORENG, KIMCHI flavors... aound P20+

WAI WAI brand is ok...pero mas lupet parin ang MAMA pag dating sa thai noodles.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    makabili nga sa SM hahahah

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I haven't eaten instant noodles in more than 5 years. I got scared because I know of several people who got sick from eating instant noodles regularly. It has very high sodium content and I avoid it the same way I avoid MSG which my Dad's doctor says is poison.

I am not a picky eater and I eat junk food without hesitation but instant noodles really scares me.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I haven't eaten instant noodles in more than 5 years. I got scared because I know of several people who got sick from eating instant noodles regularly. It has very high sodium content and I avoid it the same way I avoid MSG which my Dad's doctor says is poison.

I am not a picky eater and I eat junk food without hesitation but instant noodles really scares me.
    That's very true! Kawawa ang kidney natin sa dami ng Sodium ng mga instant noodles. I managed to cut back on my consumption * once a week na lang.

Anyway, my answer to this thread is LUCKY ME!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ako, hinahanap ko yun nissin ramen. kung maalala ninyo, yung instant noodles na may sesame oil. ang bango bango kasi at ang sarap sarap. that was way back 90's pa yun, kasabayan ni maggi noodles. how i wish bumalik yun. and payless noodles, the payless noodles of the 90's, ang sarap sarap!

for now, lucky me ang masarap. but i don't eat much na kasi nga puro chemicals.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Nissins seafood ramen . Product of Japan .
    Wei-Wei Chicken flavor Product of taiwan

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmm...regarding the urban legend: afaik scurvy is a condition caused by severe lack of vitamin C. sailors of long ago used to suffer scurvy, which is why they brought along oranges/citrus fruits.

imho the correlation of eating ramen noodles for a year and scurvy is a bit of a stretch. And if you do( eat ramen noodles for a year), chances are you'll have more things to worry about other than scurvy B)

i'm willing to bet good money that if you eat one and only one kind of food for a year, you're bound to get some sort of health problem; too much of a good thing, as they say.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
FAvorite brand of instant noodles