New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sa totoo lang, as much as i want to believe na meron, it does not make a lot of sense for me na meron heaven and hell... so parang doubtful ako. mga 70% of me says na malabo may heaven and hell and 30% still hangs on to a little bit of faith.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Do people who kill themselves go straight to hell or purgatory? I remember when I was little we went to the wake of a distant relative who killed himself and he wasn't blessed by the church.
    in one retreat i have attended, our retreat master said that there are actually two schools of thought about suicide. the Church doesn't look upon it with favor, so the one committing suicide, won't be blessed. on the other hand, the Church is faced with one more compelling reason of blessing the dead, because when the person committed suicide, he wasn't in his right mind, so there was no freedom when he chose to commit suicide. in some parishes, they allow the dead to be brought inside the Church, with a different ceremony though.

given those, i believe that the concept of hell is not really an unequivocal dogma of the Church. well, maybe because the Church assumes a greater responsibility of nourishing our souls and in that case, there's a tacit recognition that somehow, the Church failed to reach out to him when he was in darkness...then there is the concept of purgatory, which is always, abused by the faithful.

i heard that there is this move in the Vatican to abolish the concept of purgatory. what we have now is purgatory...everyday is a chance to redeem ourselves or correct our past misdeeds. i like the concept of the buddhist though of life after death...no chance, maging ipis ka or whatever after death pag bad ka...gaya ng mga gluttons diyan, maging baboy na lilitsonin pagkatapos mamatay.
    Last edited by ab_initio; February 25th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Agree with XTO.:angel3:

For me, it's still better to believe in God and in life after death: whether in heaven or in hell; than not to believe at all. kasi ang lifespan natin is just a grain of sand in the ocean of eternity. is it worth the risk if we don't believe while we are living? :evil:

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Do people who kill themselves go straight to hell or purgatory? I remember when I was little we went to the wake of a distant relative who killed himself and he wasn't blessed by the church.
    Only God knows. But if there's repentance before the last heartbeat or breath, I think they are saved. Remember Judas, he repented by committing suicide. I don't think he went straight to hell. He had a role, though not a starring role, in Christ's mission of redemption.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hell- for a catholic is a very hot place where you're spirit is unrested
    Hell for a particular mind - is the surrounding itself.. namputsa namang buhay ito parang impyerno, sobrang init dito parang impyerno (nakapunta na cguro to sa hell)

Hell in the bible - did not state what is it like.. but it refer to a grave or a place of the dead

and about purgatory = Never read any about this in the bible

So what do you believe in?
    it is better for this thread to be close.. as this point to your faith and belief

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    hell yeah!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    then, bakit nagpoint out si dante ng purgatory? and even describe what's inside the purgatory?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by valvura View Post
    For me, it's still better to believe in God and in life after death: whether in heaven or in hell; than not to believe at all. kasi ang lifespan natin is just a grain of sand in the ocean of eternity. is it worth the risk if we don't believe while we are living? :evil:
    valvura is talking about Pascal's Wager.
    Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit) is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher Blaise Pascal that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should "wager" as though God exists, because so living has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.
    Anti-Pascal wager
    Richard Dawkins argues for an "anti-Pascal wager" in his book, The God Delusion. "Suppose we grant that there is indeed some small chance that God exists. Nevertheless, it could be said that you will lead a better, fuller life if you bet on his not existing, than if you bet on his existing and therefore squander your precious time on worshipping him, sacrificing to him, fighting and dying for him, etc."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    We are surrounded by corrupt politicians aren't we? So YES I do!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    then, bakit nagpoint out si dante ng purgatory? and even describe what's inside the purgatory?
    Dante is a writer and even he is not part of the Doctrine (bible)

who would you believe a writer or a doctrine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante%27s_Satan

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Do you believe in Hell?