New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hi to all,

I'm planning to have my first baby's cord blood stored. I read about HSCs and MSCs benefits and still reading on its benefits. I like to ask fellow tsikoteers who already have experience in doing this?

HSCs will only be limited for blood cells while MSCs can produce tissues for most of our major organs. I read as much as I can on the effects of stem cell therapy and there are already cases that it has cured some disease (although there are no official studies to prove this, just reports on patients being cured). The technology is IMHO still in its infancy but I'm nearly convinced.

Is it really worth to invest in it in your opinion?

Many thanks,
    Josh

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    If you can afford it.. I think it is best to adopt it, kahit pa sabihin na in it's infancy pa ang technology..it will still develop later on. Kapag naging successful meron ang baby mo na preserved specimen (Cord blood)...its now or never ika nga. How much ba ang ganyan..what i know is there is an annual fees..any ballpark figures?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Remember, though, many stem cell therapy offers are quack science... There are benefits to storing it, but there is also the possibility that by the time your child needs it, in thirty or forty years, that the technology for creating new stem cells from adult tissues may be perfected.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Enrile, Belo et al never had the stem cells from their cords stored but they are availing of this treatment now

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kaya nga... newest quack craze. The "holistic medicine" craze of the 21st century.

There are no proven benefits to stem cell therapy. Especially with stem cells from unknown sources.

We already have a term for foreign cells that generate new tissue inside the body. We call them "cancer cells".

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    3 years ago it was P500K at st luke's. and there's a maintenance fee every few years, di ko natanong how much yung maintenance fee.

if i have a child to be born and i have that money, i'd rather deposit that P500k in my child's trust account. by the time he'll need any medical procedure requiring stem cells, maybe when he/she is already 50+ years old (huwag naman sana) then that money would have multiplied many times over and he can afford whatever it will cost.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    di ba ine-extract naman yung stem cell sa tao mismo then a couple of weeks to grow the body part then transplant?

i think yung mga quack eh yung kung saan saan kinukuha ang stem cell, even sa animal, dapat kung kanino ilalagay dun din kukunin.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Except for very special cases, there are NO proven or FDA approved stem cell therapies.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede kaya si tito sotto nyan, injectionan yung utak nya ng magkaron naman ng brain kahit konti?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Cancer cells na lang ang i-inject dun kay titosen

To the TS, if you can afford it and don't consider it costly, I'd suggest to go ahead sa balak mo. IMO, I don't consider the stem cell technology as quack medicine kasi lately yung mga dating medical stuff are also considered as quack decades ago. Eventually technology will prove itself usefull.

FDA - US or Pinas pa yan, ay puno ng red tape lalo na sa pag-approve ng mga ganyang technologies....not that they don't believe it, it is more of the political thing or sometimes the corruption thing. So maybe approval would be done maybe 50years from now...and thus your beloved kid will have his own stem cell on "file" and will not use animal stem cell material to augment his future needs. Yan naman ay opion ko lang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cryocord: Stem Cell Banking, is it worth it?