New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Would you accept a higher paying job but with a lower position?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • No

0 0%
  • Depends. (Give considerations.)

7 53.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by ILuvDetailing
    Would you like your work? Would you get along with your fellow employees? How will your boss treat you? How are the benefits? Is this salary a "fixed" salary or is there room for promotion? Well there are a lot of factors to consider changing career paths.
    Parang nawala ata lahat ito sa akin currently. Ang problema ko naman ay (hindi ito joke). I miss having fellow employees in a physical distance. Walang maasar at do your mischiefs. How can I push myself without a boss? Big room of improvement, problem is when you over commit and could not swallow what you asked for.

Well for me as long as it has to do with computers regardless whether hardware or software, i'd be satisfied.
    Ganito rin ako. Pero for some reason parang less and less na ang interest ko sa computers lately. Nagiging cars na ulit like when I was a kid. Pati ayaw ko rin ng cars with computer boxes. May sayad na ata ako, parang nag retreat ako sa computers.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by jkyamog

Ganito rin ako. Pero for some reason parang less and less na ang interest ko sa computers lately. Nagiging cars na ulit like when I was a kid. Pati ayaw ko rin ng cars with computer boxes. May sayad na ata ako, parang nag retreat ako sa computers.
    OT: sir I strongly suggest you go mountaineering, biking, off-roading, spelunking, diving, snorkling or do anything not related to I.T. Don't bring your cellphone. Naramdaman ko rin yan nung ika-5th year ko nang DBA. Parang gusto ko nang mag-iba ng career anything but I.T. Mountaineering has served me well ;)

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    ok lang sakin as long as im happy with the job, malaki naman sahod eh

4. FrankDrebin Guest
    jkyamog:

Pareho rin tayo ng sitwasyon.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    as long as the same or better yung perks and benefits

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Your replies are very helpful. Thank you.

Here's the thing: this person is hesitant to go back to programming because he hasn't been doing any long term programming for more than 3 years. He was sort of moving up into project management (working towards the title of Project Manager) but still doing some analysis and design with little programming work. The skill is there, but it will take some time to get back into the groove.

It just sounds like a step backwards if the long term career goal is to move up into management. But certainly one of the reasons to go into management is the better pay.

What if he asks for double the current salary and the prospective employer said yes? Is it worth going back down the "ladder" for double the pay?

As to the skillset, it just so happened that the new employer is using all the technologies that this person has had experience with. (You can find the job posting in the "tsikot jobs" thread.)

;)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd still say yes... unless his pride won't allow him to swallow the lower "rank"

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    It depends kung parehong field yung lilipatan ko siguro. kung feeling ko pareho naman yung line of work ok lang. VP ka na and hanggang ganon lang dun na lang ba aabutin mo sa present company mo. Kung dun sa lilipatan mo pwede ka pa tumaas and maging VP ulit na mas mataas ang sweldo then why not.

teka may sense ba yung sinasabi ko... sorry pagod na sa work eh, dami pasahero

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sabi nung isang resident hacker namin sa previous company ko. "why be a nobody in a big company when you can be somebody in a small company?" this guy could easily make it in any of the huge IT companies pero sa small-medium sized companies pa din ang mga trabaho nya before.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    There's a lot of restaurants in the US where the waiters/waitress makes a lot more than the managers. They make $100 in tips on an 8 hour shift, on a semi-high end restaurant. These are untaxed income.

Funny isn't it? They work 8 hours a day and they make more than their managers who work 12 hours a day with more responsibilities and more headaches. Titles are meaningless unless you can back it up with $$$.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Career Question: What do you prefer?