New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jolog1
    The thing with Canada and US is the government got your back. The government don't want you to fail because if you fail, you end up being a liability to them. They have to pay you welfare and medical care, you can't pay taxes, statistics says you will also commit a crime. If you can't afford college, they'll send you to college through grants, loans, and deferred loans (loans with no interest until you graduate). Government college will give you quality 2 year degree that is not expensive. Employment discrimination is illegal there and unlike in pinas, the law is uphold and enforced there. ACLU and NAACP got you back.

Between Canada and US, Canadians got the most government support but they hit you with taxes.... something pinoys are not used to paying.

Kung tamad ka, hindi sanay magtrabaho ng 8 hours a day eh huwag ka nang pumunta. Yung isang kakilala ko nagtrabaho sa Wendys, employee lang. She worked her butt off for 2 years pagtapos inoffer na siya ng assistant manager position. Hard work pays off over there, hindi tulad sa pinas... kung sino kilala mo that counts.
    very well informed ka kapatid :cool:

I also met a Denny's District Manager na pinoy, pero napaka humble. Na promote sya ng DM after 3 years and he started as Manager. Nung naging manager sya, kalilipat nya lang sa US. At ang age nya nung first time na-hire sya is 55 y/o. Sa pinas, wala nang tatanggap sayo kung over 35 y/o. P**&#%$ng I**#&ng sistema sa Pinas yan. Yung ibang pinoy dito na mayabang, yun ang mga walang ipagyayabang at loaded ang credit cards nila.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Get ready to waste your time and money for the cost of studying again, Canada does not recognize any philippine school. I had to waste another 4 years just so I don't become a burger boy or a stocker.

1st generation immigrant would always bear the brunt, of trying to get ahead.

Aim for the white mans job, we are not their servants.(that is their perception if they find out you are a Filipino.)

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    Tama dito sa pinas, if you're 35 wala nang company that will hire you unlike in the states or canada. May friend nga ako he's only 33 yrs. old mahihirapan na siyang makahanap ng trabaho, dito kasi walang equal opportunity law grabe ang age discrimination dito eh unless kung may friend ka sa high places na puede kang tulungan at ipasok sa trabaho.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    Ang opinion lang naman in migrating to Canada or other countries, suwertihan lang naman iyan, if you make it there good, if not try to work harder pakita mo na kaya mo rin yan.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my friend had a bad experience in canada last year, they were going to buy a house sana in canada for the children to stay in while in college. di ko lang alam saan part of canada sila nagpunta, but they went there to tour and buy a house. sabi sa akin ng friend ko pag naglalakad ka daw sa kalye ang impression sa iyo is that you're a nanny/maid/au pair kaagad. it does not matter if you are male or female, to them you are "just a nanny". di ka papansinin sa mga restaurants and shops, coz you are "just a nanny". maybe it's because thousands of pinoys/pinays are there working as caregivers. and yes she did hear them say it referring to her with her children, "she's just a nanny..." sampalin daw sana nya ng platinum card yung nagsabi sa restaurant e napigilan lang siya ng mister nya (hong kong chinese ang husband nya, very rich). alsa balutan daw sila agad, punta na lang daw sila sa US. they ended up buying a house in the san francisco bay area instead!

reminds me of that spat between the philippines and the UK years ago when the encyclopedia britanica entered the word "filipina" in the encyclopedia and dictionary to mean "housemaid". so they were using the word "filipina" as in "we have a filipina ..." meaning "we have a maid..." even if the househelp is not from the philippines. have our country really become the servants of the world? i don't mean to degrade filipinos working as maids (i am an ofw myself) but to equate the name a nation's people call themselves to mean "housemaid" is definitely racist.

sometimes i wish i had an atom bomb....

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    wala namang masamang mag-migrate sa ibang bansa basta wag mo lang kakalimutan na ikaw ay isa pa ring Pinoy....Marami po akong nakakasabay na mga Fil-Am at Fil-Canadian sa Cathay Pacific Flight palagi from HK....Akala mo kung sinong mga banyaga umasta....Puro economy seat naman nakaupo!

Halos karamihan ng mga relatives ko na nasa states ay balak na ring mag-retire dito sa Pinas...Sabi nila masarap pa ring mamuhay at mamatay sa sarili mong bansa...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    (WOW! new board format, great job tsikot)

thanx guys for sharing your stories and inspirations. . . i needed that .

a net friend already informed about the expectations of an immigrant.

*start all over again.
    *employers will base on our "canadian" experience and "canadian" educational credits.
    *some province pag land mo, covered ka agad ng med-insurance. and some, need to be a resident for 3 months.
    *dental & medicine is not free . . unless already employed, you'll have a dental & drug insurance.
    *taxes wont be that different sa pinas, at least mapapakinabangan mo especially with the kids.
    *gov't will give you an allowance of ca$300(max) per kid. . . if you have a steady income, allowance will decrease.
    *starting is ca$7-8/hr (min)
    *rentals apt around $700 - 1K+ depends on the # of rooms (basement apt is the cheapest.
    *Ontario is the cleanest and safest in canada, vancouver has the highest crime rate in canada. . . . sabi nila, but not like the crime rates of NY or LA.
    *if you need to have a much better life, "UPGRADE", have a "canadian" education (ca$ 1k - 20K). . . you can loan from the govt.

well . . that about it for now.
    still gathering some more informations.
    thank you po sa lahat.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    cardo818 is right..............tax nila ay mataas kc may national tax at local tax.15% each(base ito sa province ng ONTARIO).but kids schooling is free from grade school to high school at yung health coverage is free.

newbie lang po ako dito.............

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    You can only get dental insurannce if you have worked for at least 1 year and still depends on how big the company is.

Not all public school is worth going to, most are just "tambakan."

Governent will only give assistance if you are only already a citizen, New immigrants are made to sign agreement that they are not to recieve welfare for 10 years after citizenship.

Loan from government if you are already a citizen not before. But by then if you want to go to a good university, (ubc, sfu, uot, schullich), they prefer international student because they can charge more.

Good luck on your endeavor.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Sorry for the double post

If you want to study make sure you take your toefl, gmat and sat before you leave.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Canadian Immigration Thread [Merged]