New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that Webometrics ranking is a joke. first of all, look at their methodology (how the rankings were calculated). the criteria includes number of references to literature their profs produced (?) and number of hits on their website (??!). size is also a factor (wtf?). that explains why Penn State is #5 - which is an average university at best, but huge (the campus is basically a city). of course, the bigger you are, the more profs and students you have, ergo, more hits to websites and more papers produced. but what about quality over quantity?

there is no way in hell U of Florida, UC SD, and Texas A&M should be ranked much higher than Yale and Princeton. are they kidding?? would any of you go to those schools over the Ivy League?

well, maybe if you're a HS football star looking to make the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    But my biggest beef is the most basic one. One of the top criteria for ANY ranking is a school's selectivity. In other words, if you only accept geniuses, then you are the best school. My beef with that is three-fold. First, there really are NOT that many geniuses to go around anywhere! So what kind of impact could being exclusive make in practice to the general populace? Leaders? Bah -- there's much more to leadership than intelligence.

Second, in acuality, gifted kids hardly need the resources and facilities those 4 have. Even if you leave those kids with an average but dedicated mentor, gagaling yang mga yan simply because by definition, they have the ability to learn by themselves given the slightest direction. Do they know it? No, but they will.

Third, the basis for a scheme like this is akin to making an already efficient engine even more efficient. Matalino na 'yung studyante mo, dadagdagan mo lang ng KONTING learning, presto -- a top 4 school.

IMHO, the solution to the education of the world is to focus not on being a TOP school but on being a school able to impart the MOST knowledge. Di ba mas magaling na school yung makakapagpatalino maraming below-average na tao kesa doon sa makakadagdag lang ng 5 points sa IQ ng isang genyo?
    you have it backwards. top schools can afford to be selective because all the top students want to go to those schools. and there's no way you can attract top talent unless you have the best programs, best teachers, and best job placement networks. that means employers, the educational system, and the world in general considers you the best. yes, it's great to be able to recruit potential, but the top students can get into any school. they'll only attend your school if you're the best.

in regard to your other points, it is quite easy to make a list of "best education for least money" schools. just take a ranking you trust, and apply a weighting based on the average cost to attend. i believe somebody already does those lists as a matter of fact. but keep in mind that kind of comparison is not too good when you're talking about multiple countries.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    uso na pala ngayon BIG 4 BIG 4 ha.... dati Top 3 schools.... sa mga ads sa dyaryo hinahanap lang "belonging to the top 3 schools" ha.... Nahawa na tayo ng Channel 2....

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by student_01 View Post
    ay sorry, TYPO error,

pero as far as i am concerned UP is first, DLSU is second, ADMU is third and UST being the fourth

actually, wala naman talaga sa school yan, nasa tao parin yun.. shinare ko lang to, mukhang interesting eh..hehe

basta nasa tao pa rin yun

oo nga nasa DNA pa din yan.

kung wala sa mga previous gen sa clan nyo ang matalas ang utak, kabahan ka na hehehe

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    uso na pala ngayon BIG 4 BIG 4 ha.... dati Top 3 schools.... sa mga ads sa dyaryo hinahanap lang "belonging to the top 3 schools" ha.... Nahawa na tayo ng Channel 2....

HINDE sa nagiging masyadong defensive ha, kaya lang naman nagkaroon ng BIG 3 na yan, dahel sa mga review centers, parang masyado nila dinisdicriminate ang UST, eh, kasama parin naman siya sa world rankings

kung mapapansin mo, ang rankings ng ateneo and UST, napakalapit

ateneo is on th 484 place ata
    and
    UST in 500th so napakalapit lang ung dalawa..

although madali nga ang Entrance exam in UST, but staying in UST is an entirely different matter.. sabe ika nga nila, "we dont accept the best students. we make them'" hehe, sa DLSU naman - the future begins here..

concerning naman dun sa rankings- well hinde naman naten masasabe na accurate yun, so theres still a big possibility na may mali sa pag rarank ng school

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT...but UP is no longer cheap....ang tuition ko dun 20 years ago parang P9/unit lang (mataas na ang P500 per semester) pero ngayon P1600/unit na raw.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at pagna-approve pa ulit ang increase, magiging P3000/unit na!

socialize tuituion fee does exist...pero I think less than half lang ng taga UP ang makaka-avail din nito....

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    No, currently, it is 300/unit, if the increase is enforced, it will be 1000/unit na ata or 1200.

Actually, i can't believe that DLSU is ranked higher than Ateneo. I mean come on something must not be right!!! (no offense to lasalle peeps. hehe).

*M54: geez, you're right. That webometrics is stupid. Mas ok ata ang Asiaweek.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    No, currently, it is 300/unit, if the increase is enforced, it will be 1000/unit na ata or 1200.

Actually, i can't believe that DLSU is ranked higher than Ateneo. I mean come on something must not be right!!! (no offense to lasalle peeps. hehe).

*M54: geez, you're right. That webometrics is stupid. Mas ok ata ang Asiaweek.
    ouch sakit naman. we are better than Ateneo in that survey, kasi hindi naman kami sobrang talino. marunong kami makisalamuha (tama ba yun term) either kung mayaman o mahirap ang kasama namin sa work.

i've worked with quite a few Ateneans noon pinadala kami sa abroad for training. the problem is medyo may pagka-elitista talaga ang galing sa Ateneo. kahit na nauna batch kami ti-nrain, parang kailangan i-treat na namin kagad na bisor yun 2nd batch na ateneans hehehe.

although we are trained to be elitists ourselves (like in the terms Lasalista, atenista), the social climate in DLSU eh may variety talaga. may mayaman, may rich fil-chinese, may kuripot fil-chinese, may promdi, may mga middle-class families who would sacrifice the sun and the moon, just to get their kids a good education.

it comes with the surrounding environment too. Taft ave. is just like any other Manila University/U-belt location. unlike that area in Katipunan, na para ba Alabang of the North.

a lot of makati companies love to hire us too. kasi nga, we are properly trained with world-standard facilities pero wala yun the usual na may ere (like Ateneo) o feeling so smart (like UP). no offense pero eto naman ang feedback ng mga executives sa top 2.
    Last edited by oldblue; March 4th, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    heeey! no offense nga eh. hehe

Anyway, baligtad naman ang experience ko, mas elitist ang mga tga LaSalle compared to Ateneans. I also had several ex-girlfriends from both schools.

Siguro iba lang ang crowds natin. hehe

Ako more on the mixed crowd, Ok kasama mga tga Province, mas marami kasing stories and i get to know their culture. Yung ibang classmates ko naman na old-rich, ok din kasama. Cowboy ika nga. Ok din mga exchange students sa UP esp the hot russians and aussies.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    basta ako alam ko bagsak ako sa entrance exam sa UST hehehe. Alam mo student01 kng nag didiscriminate sila ano pki alam mo wag mo sila pansinin ganun talga buhay eh. naku sinasabi ko syu pag narinig mo mga discrimination'z na natangap ko kng kanikanino ayuhn hindi ko lng pinapansin kaya ngyun khit ano sabihin nila skin ok lng. basta wag lng nila ako murahin iba na un. WAG mo sila pansinin!!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
The BIG 4 Universities here in the Philippines