New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    i like asphalt roads. quieter, easier on the suspension if paved properly. and for me parang mas grippier... on dry that is. pag wet i find it slippery talaga.

Even on running its easier on the knees and other joints. I can run longer on asphalt too. On roadbike or racer, its smoother, and less body fatigue kaya I can bike longer. And pag sumemplang ako mas mababaw sugat ko on asphalt roads.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    concrete roads are better if the slabs are poured as 1 long continuous slab then later cut by a concrete cutter to allow for thermal expansion. example is congressional avenue when they first laid the concrete, the slabs were actually more than 100 meters length each, then cut every 5 or so meters to allow for thermal expansion. but if the slabs are poured as short slabs (like they did and continue to do on edsa) the joints tend to act as pivot points, late on causing the slabs to become slanted. para tuloy nakasakay sa kabayo, especially the south bound lane in front of SM north.

the reason our asphalt roads do not last long is because the quality of the asphalt is not good. matabang. as usual, 10% dito, 10% dun, minsan 20% pa. bakit sa ibang bansa ganda naman ng asphalt roads nila. e kasi walang kurakot!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nickriingen View Post
    A common nasty practice in DPWH, LGU's since they have an annual maintenance funds.. A nicely paved and smooth concrete road overlaid with asphalt. After a few rains, the asphalt surface will melt and deteriorate. As a result, a terrible and rough surface afterwards. A pain in the ass for the suspension.
    Naaawa na ko sa pang ilalim ko dahil sa napakabulok na kalsada ng Mcarthur highway. Parang mas maigi pa ngang wala na lang aspalto. Another PITA kapag hinukay nila at pagkatagal tagal matapos. Lintek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
ARTICLE: MIT engineers rules stiffer roads save fuel